Sid: Kill wants what’s best

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Kill wants what’s best

Last week the Big Ten distributed a document titled “A Year of Readiness,” which brought up the idea of not allowing freshman student-athletes to play until their sophomore season, to get them acclimated to college before jumping into athletics. It’s an idea Commissioner Jim Delany said on ESPN this week that would have to be discussed nationally, not just within the conference.

Gophers football coach Jerry Kill said that, like most issues regarding student-athletes, there’s a lot of different questions to answer.

“I think there’s plusses and minuses. … People a lot higher than I are much more able to make those decisions, but I think from a head coach’s standpoint it’s whatever is best for the game and whatever is best for the student-athlete,” he said. “I think everyone is still trying to figure that out. There’s so many changes going on with our sport right now, and that’s just one of them.”

Kill said this next season already will be an important one when it comes to student-athletes because the five power conferences will be able to pay players a stipend for family travel and for spending money.

“The cost of attendance is going to change a lot of things there, according to what your cost of attendance is,” Kill said. “That’s one of many issues that will be looked at over this particular year. Flying parents in for official visits, a big change over college football here over the last three or four years, and it’s going to continue to change.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/294310581.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Kill wants what’s best

Last week the Big Ten distributed a document titled “A Year of Readiness,” which brought up the idea of not allowing freshman student-athletes to play until their sophomore season, to get them acclimated to college before jumping into athletics. It’s an idea Commissioner Jim Delany said on ESPN this week that would have to be discussed nationally, not just within the conference.

Gophers football coach Jerry Kill said that, like most issues regarding student-athletes, there’s a lot of different questions to answer.

“I think there’s plusses and minuses. … People a lot higher than I are much more able to make those decisions, but I think from a head coach’s standpoint it’s whatever is best for the game and whatever is best for the student-athlete,” he said. “I think everyone is still trying to figure that out. There’s so many changes going on with our sport right now, and that’s just one of them.”

Kill said this next season already will be an important one when it comes to student-athletes because the five power conferences will be able to pay players a stipend for family travel and for spending money.

“The cost of attendance is going to change a lot of things there, according to what your cost of attendance is,” Kill said. “That’s one of many issues that will be looked at over this particular year. Flying parents in for official visits, a big change over college football here over the last three or four years, and it’s going to continue to change.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/294310581.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

One of the biggest issue that will be contentious is the enormous cost of running a FBS football program.

With the players soon to be receiving stipend and the cost of providing training tables for them, now we have to add the cost of recruiting with trips for parents included.

How many programs that are barely making a dime are going to run huge deficits? Not directly related, is it Auburn that is running a $30+ million deficit already?

Should the money for the recruit trips that include parents come directly from each FBS school? Or should it come from an NCAA pool?

The cost for colder climate schools like MN & Neb will be considerably higher than for FSU, Miami, Alabama, or Texas that can field teams right in their own backyard.

Should official recruiting visit be left at five, or should dwindle it down to maybe three?

This may work for or against the Gophers. Maybe Jerry Kill can be very persuasive with the parents there with the recruits. Who doesn't want their kids to play for Coach Kill? On the other hand, they have to be careful of freeloaders who want a free family vacation that includes a trip to the Mall Of America.

his can work for or against

With the players soon to be receiving stipend and the cost of providing training tables for them, now we have to add the cost of recruiting with trips for parents included
But think of the savings on "hostesses".

From what I understand family travel is already allowed for basketball official visits. Even if a school rolls out the red carpet; first class, 4 star hotel, nice meals the amount of money is a blip on a power 5 radar.

The elephant in the room is paying players as they are hellbent on doing. A big mistake that will forever and ever destroy the student athlete definition and pave the way for unions and the associated fallout that is easy to foresee.

Top Bottom