Sid: Harvey Mackay almost had Bill Self sold on taking Gophers job while at Tulsa

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

• Bill Self, the great basketball coach for Kansas who has won every place he has coached, was at Tulsa from 1997 to 2000 before going to Illinois. But I recall Harvey Mackay, a Gophers booster, almost had Self sold on taking the Gophers job. In fact only when the Illinois job opened did Self pass up the Gophers.

http://www.startribune.com/best-basketball-rivalry-globetrotters-vs-lakers/373304861/

Go Gophers!!

Even if true, he would have bailed in 3-4 years, tops.

Our luck, Sid kills him off with off with a massive heart attack brought on by his weekly gift certificate from Murray's.

Right now Illinois and Minnesota along with Rutgers; 3 of the worst programs in the B1G.

Tulsa was in the sub-regional in Kansas City with the Gophers in 1997. Their second-round game against Clemson occurred just before the Gophs took on Temple. Tulsa led for most of the game and looked like the better team, but Clemson was good late and overtook them. And then, of course, the rest is history: Clemson goes on to take us to double overtime and dislocate Eric Harris' shoulder in the regional semifinal.

Thanks Sid for enriching my life with that useless bit of info. Now I can spend the next 20 minutes thinking about the butterfly effect of that scenario and how much different the Gophers would be now. Awesome

Yep, and John Wooden would have came here if it wasn't for a snow storm. Think of the butterfly effect

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

the u, the program that almost had wooden, self, chris weber, and on we go.

Top Bottom