Sid Hartman: Winning, good people go hand-in-hand for Gophers AD Coyle

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Mark Coyle on Friday hit the six-month mark in his tenure as Gophers athletic director. Coyle, who served as an associate athletic director from 2001 to 2005, talked about what he has experienced so far in the role.

“First off, my wife and I are so humbled to be here at the University of Minnesota,” Coyle said. “This was a special place when we were here before, and to have the chance to be back at the university, we’re really proud to be the athletic director.

“You know, I think the No. 1 thing I would point out is we have really good people who are working really hard to make sure we provide a great experience for our student-athletes. We’ve got 25 sports, over 700 student-athletes who are working incredibly hard. I’m really thankful for the staff and the fans and donors that have welcomed us and bought into what we’re trying to do, and that’s to focus on our student coaches and athletes.”

One of the questions surrounding the Gophers’ recent lack of success in men’s sports is how the lone Division I program in the state can struggle so much compared to other states that have multiple D-I programs.

“That’s on us; that’s on the University of Minnesota athletic department, and we have to work hard to earn people,” he said. “You earn people, in my opinion, by doing things the right way, by being first-class academically, everything we do socially and everything we do athletically. Obviously, the idea of winning is an important piece of that, and if you look at our program we had six Big Ten championships last year. If you look at this fall our women’s soccer team just won the Big Ten championship. We have a lot of positive things going on, but there’s no question we want to win in all of our sports.”

http://www.startribune.com/winning-good-people-go-hand-in-hand-for-gophers-ad-mark-coyle/400960945/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom