Sid Hartman: Gophers, Vikings fullbacks boost running game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Gophers coach Jerry Kill talked about how Henry’s absence against Iowa affected the running game and forced Kill to make several lineup changes.

“[Redshirt freshman tight end] Maxx [Williams] is a very good football player and a big part of what we do, but we missed [Henry] a lot because we had to move Maxx in [at fullback] and [junior tight end] Drew Goodger from their original place. Maxx has been a very effective football player for us and so has Drew, and having to [have them] learn two positions was difficult. We’re hoping that Mike will be back and able to play Saturday against Michigan.”

Kill expanded on what happens to an offense when a team loses a key blocking back.

“Drew Goodger and Maxx both played fullback [against Iowa],” Kill said. “We had to interchange some things because of Mike’s injury. We like doing other things with Maxx and getting him the football throwing-wise and so forth. So Drew and Maxx had to do double duty, which affected what we do in the personnel groupings, because we like to have three of those guys playing [together] sometimes.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/226400681.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

I wrote a suggestion having watched Georgia playing LSU that their fullbacks are about 6'2 and 270. We don't have a fullback that size, and if we need a blocking back just change Tommy Olson's number from 53 to 35. He is 6'3 and 300.

I wrote a suggestion having watched Georgia playing LSU that their fullbacks are about 6'2 and 270. We don't have a fullback that size, and if we need a blocking back just change Tommy Olson's number from 53 to 35. He is 6'3 and 300.

With this idea, you might have to change your astute status ;-). That said, I'm game for trying it!

Top Bottom