Sid Hartman: Gophers' Leidner, Cobb ready to showcase talents in Citrus Bowl

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

As the Gophers football team gets ready to face Missouri in the Citrus Bowl, the school’s first New Year’s Day game since 1962, one big factor in its favor is that quarterback Mitch Leidner and running back David Cobb have healed from lingering injuries.

“I’m a lot better now,” said Leidner, who missed the game against San Jose State on Sept. 20 because of a strained ligament in his left knee and turf toe. “I think I was pretty solid when the season ended but being able to get some running and lifting in these past couple of weeks, I’ve been able to put some weight back on and get some muscle back and get stronger and faster, I feel like, in these past couple of weeks.”

After a very good middle stretch of the season in which Leidner threw for eight touchdowns and threw just two interceptions over five games, he was held without a passing score in the final three weeks of the season.

Still, Leidner didn’t blame his knee for those final three games.

“That brace was helping me out a little bit that I had been wearing, but I mean there’s a lot of things to go along with the passing game,” he said. “We can’t just blame it on a knee or anything.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/286937401.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom