Sid Hartman: Gophers had little chance against Northwestern defense

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Offensively, it got so bad that Kill went back on a vow that he would not play quarterback Demry Croft this year when he inserted the highly ranked freshman in the third quarter. Mitch Leidner, who had a big day last week in leading the Gophers past Ohio, was running for his life with no protection from the offensive line as he completed 10 of 21 passes for 72 yards that included an interception as well as a fumble that was returned for a touchdown.

Those in the media who looked for Croft to be the next Tom Brady if he got an opportunity to play had to be disappointed by his 5-for-11 day for 27 yards as he was almost intercepted three times and got sacked the same number. Rest assured, Croft is not in Leidner’s class because of his inexperience.

Northwestern’s defense has given up only three touchdowns in five games. so maybe it wasn’t a case of the Gophers offense being so bad but the fact the Wildcats are that good defensively.

Of course it didn’t help that the Gophers gave up two TDs on turnovers.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-had-little-change-against-northwestern-defense/330542021/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Offensively, it got so bad that Kill went back on a vow that he would not play quarterback Demry Croft this year when he inserted the highly ranked freshman in the third quarter. Mitch Leidner, who had a big day last week in leading the Gophers past Ohio, was running for his life with no protection from the offensive line as he completed 10 of 21 passes for 72 yards that included an interception as well as a fumble that was returned for a touchdown.

Those in the media who looked for Croft to be the next Tom Brady if he got an opportunity to play had to be disappointed by his 5-for-11 day for 27 yards as he was almost intercepted three times and got sacked the same number. Rest assured, Croft is not in Leidner’s class because of his inexperience.

Northwestern’s defense has given up only three touchdowns in five games. so maybe it wasn’t a case of the Gophers offense being so bad but the fact the Wildcats are that good defensively.

Of course it didn’t help that the Gophers gave up two TDs on turnovers.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-had-little-change-against-northwestern-defense/330542021/

Go Gophers!!

Northwestern's defense is the real deal and if we hadn't seen the Kent State game or the first 6 series of the CSU game maybe we could pin all of the offensive struggles on that. But we have seen those things and it is very clear that we have massive problems on the offensive side of the ball. We had problems in the passing game last season but at least we could lean on Cobb to carry the load. Smith and Brooks look like they might be good but they are nowhere close to Cobb's level. He was awesome at making something out of nothing and this offense is really missing him right now.

Sid is without question the biggest jackass in the twin cities. Who gives a ****e? Please stop quoting him

We were humiliated today, not sure how a Sid reference makes it any better. Northwestern wasn't good, we were bad. Let's move the **** on

Michigan is going to beat Northwestern at home that was not a great offense, they have Jackson who can make Cobb like plays with more speed, he can make people miss, and Thorson can run a little bit and make a few throws.

QB and offensive line isn't the only problem, we have no play-makers that can break tackles (maybe #27 Brooks) after contact, or make people miss at least not out of power or multiple back sets, tight ends and wide receivers cannot get off the line of scrimmage and have the time to run a simple out or stick route because one block is always missed up front or on the edge, can be O-line, tight end or fullbacks. I absolutely hate the offset I with #41 Thomas less than a yard and half tight to the line, he isn't quick enough out of that spot to pick up edge rushers and you nullify him getting any momentum to the line of scrimmage having him that tight to the line. I have no idea why they brag on #24 Smith so much, he isn't super fast, he doesn't make people miss and he certainly isn't taking on first contact and making anything out of it. He missed a home run today, by reading the hole wrong and cutting the wrong way even if it is counter intuitive if he saw the crasher was taking a bad angle, he would have known to slip that, bounce the run outside on second down not just take 4 yards. Gophers alignment or the formations are not fooling anyone, might work if someone would stop missing a block, but because everyone is blitzing the Gophers off the edge, Gophers are getting zero time and the opposing defense is stuffing or disrupting everything.
Gophers offense isn't setting edge worth a sh!t, as we are seeing multiple jets, a whole lot of edge blitzes from all angles and they are getting in our back field to blow plays up. We don't have the ability to fake the inside zone or an outside zone with a pulling guard, or even run a simple counter pitch off a fake draw that would beat that trend, or the read option by the QB on the backside. It is clear that David Cobb and Max Williams made a ton of plays last year based on their own ability and talent to get open or break tackles. We need an athlete that can run the routes Williams could and if they are on defense say "Elmore" maybe he should move to the Williams roll, because we need a big kid that can run, catch and block at tight end like Williams to run this offense at least the current formation of it. We seem to have plenty of depth on defensive line. Right now we don't have a tight end that can get open or set the edge for the running game by sealing off the edge out of motion. Whatever they do they need to get some more speed on the field and have to find a way to play faster up front. You would think quick outs and wide receiver screens would beat some of those twist stunts off the edge, but we don't seem to be able to execute that.

I don't agree with Sids statement that Demry Croft is not in Leidner's class because of experience, it is more like a lack of practice time and getting very little repetitions in running the offense. Croft stepped on the field and he already throws a better ball, the fact the defense knew the Gophers had to pass because they were down 27 points of which 14 were due to turnovers and a bad punt was the reason that Croft was sacked and had no time to throw.

Leidner doesn't run or move well anymore, he doesn't seem to be able to slide away, or run as quick, those running plays were crucial to his game, to have the QB able to run effectively. Leidner not being able to run the ball like he used to which was his most effective weapon being able to pull the ball down and run backside off the fake, his wheels seem shot.

I don't buy that all of the problems are with the offensive line because it is always one person that is missing a block, not the whole group and it is coming from multiple position sets. It doesn't matter what personnel grouping it is there always seems to be one person missing a block that causes the defense to blow up the play. Doesn't matter if it is a tight end, fullback, someone out of the H back set or one of the running backs, or wide receivers, someone in a key spot always seems to miss blocking there guy and it is game over for a drive.

Sid is without question the biggest jackass in the twin cities. Who gives a ****e? Please stop quoting him

We were humiliated today, not sure how a Sid reference makes it any better. Northwestern wasn't good, we were bad. Let's move the **** on

Sorry. I try to make my thread titles descriptive. In this instance, I titled it "Sid Hartman: Gophers had little chance against Northwestern defense" assuming those that don't give a sh!t what Sid says wouldn't click on the thread, but apparently I was wrong. If I could have been more descriptive about the thread's content with my post title so you wouldn't have had to click on the thread, let me know.

Go Gophers!!

Sorry. I try to make my thread titles descriptive. In this instance, I titled it "Sid Hartman: Gophers had little chance against Northwestern defense" assuming those that don't give a sh!t what Sid says wouldn't click on the thread, but apparently I was wrong. If I could have been more descriptive about the thread's content with my post title so you wouldn't have had to click on the thread, let me know.

Go Gophers!!

Ha! Keep doing what you're doing Bleed. Most of us appreciate it.

Go Gophers!!

:drink: for Bleed.

:banghead: for Sid's alibi.

Yep, that seems about right.

Go Gophers!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Sid still thinks Christian Ponder should be the Vikes QB. in Sid's world the Gophs have reached the status that we have little chance against Northwestern's talent level. What a crazy mindset. We can not compete with the football power Northwestern.

Top Bottom