Sid Hartman: Gophers could easily be 4-0

What point is there in saying the 'oughts'. We ought to be 4-0 is not true. We are 1-3 with the current staff and team. No liniment will help 1-3 to go away, except 2-3, 3-3, 4-3, etc.

per Sid:

"Could be 4-0

Jerry Kill said the Gophers football team has been in every one of the four games so far this season and rather than having a 1-3 record, could easily be 4-0.

"We have our limitations, we know that. The kids know that. We have no margin for error," Kill said. "We've been in every game, possibly, shoot we could sit here and be 4-0. We've been in every game, we just haven't closed them."

Kill added: "We have to learn how to do that and we're playing two rookie quarterbacks and the only way you learn is sometimes you have to learn the heard way. They're learning the tough way right now. I look for us to get better.

"Just like I told the seniors, "Hey, you'll be known as the class that hung in here. You're important to us and don't give up on yourself and don't get down. Just keep fighting and pushing and that's all you can do.' We all have adversities. You all have problems, too, in your life and things of that nature, what do you do? You just keep pushing forward, that's all you can do. Don't turn your back on them."

The Gophers are 20-point underdogs at Michigan this week. The defense will get a real test from Denard Robinson, perhaps the best running quarterback in the country."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/130823953.html

Go Gophers!!

Sid could easily have had an intern do a 'find and replace' of Wacker for Kill and saved himself the work. Perhaps he did.

I really don't see a problem with the quote or the reporting in this case. Coaches talk all day long and say a million different things to fire up players, individuals, etc. I'm not the least bit worried about the "great programs don't look back..." crap. I don't read all their papers so how do I know what they say. Maybe a 6-1 coach does say "we could be 7-0" to fire people up. Who cares? It's a non-issue.

I don't have a problem with the quote, I do have a problem with the double standard by fans And local media.

What point is there in saying the 'oughts'. We ought to be 4-0 is not true. We are 1-3 with the current staff and team. No liniment will help 1-3 to go away, except 2-3, 3-3, 4-3, etc.

If he had said "we ought to be 4-0", then yeah, it's not true. Of course, he didn't say that, he said we "could" be, which is indeed true. It's just a matter of motivating your players to work harder, especially when you know they haven't played their best ball.

What double standards? I remember it being observed many times in 2007 how many close losses the Gophers, 6 of the losses were by 7 points or less, 3 of the losses were by a field goal or less. Yet there wasn't some firestorm in response to this observation.

This guy is starting to sound more like Brewster every day.

Unfortunately that was my exact thought as well. I'll give Kill a pass on this one though (it sounds like Sid was paraphrasing Kill, doesn't it? ...and who really knows how accurate anything Sid writes is). However if it continues, I'll get worried.

More like 0-4

Having followed all 4 games I'd say close to 4-0 is quite a stretch. In the 3 losses only the NMSU game was really close for the Gophers.

@USC even if there's no INT by Shortell, they still have to drive 40+ yards and make a FG in < 1:00.

Vs. NMSU, within striking distance of a tie but still had <1:00 to get a TD from the 25 and make a PAT, and then it's OT (unless they go for 2 and make it, a lot of ifs).

In the one win, Miami(OH) was a batted TD pass away from a 30-29 win with made PAT.

Vs. NDSU even with no Shortell INT, still 80 yards away from a tying TD with <3:00, then assuming NDSU doesn't go back and score, or being able to get the ball back an drive down for a score, or going to OT and winning there. Again too many ifs to say it was really close to a win, even though down only 7 with 3:00 to go.

To this point, Kill has taken responsibility for how the team has played so far. He's put more blame on the coaching staff, including himself, than anyone else. He's not trying to make excuses or anything here. He feels the team could have played better in those four games. That's all there is to it.

No offense to anyone, but I will never understand why so many people put so much stock in what a coach says to the media. Unless it's something totally outlandish, it really doesn't mean a whole lot.

If Sid deserves to be ripped for anything in this column it is for suggesting that the Twins need to slash payroll so that they can get back to being competitive.

To this point, Kill has taken responsibility for how the team has played so far. He's put more blame on the coaching staff, including himself, than anyone else. He's not trying to make excuses or anything here. He feels the team could have played better in those four games. That's all there is to it.

No offense to anyone, but I will never understand why so many people put so much stock in what a coach says to the media. Unless it's something totally outlandish, it really doesn't mean a whole lot.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. That's why I seldom listen to player or coach interviews.

If you don't like the article, feel free to go read some Reusse.

If he had said "we ought to be 4-0", then yeah, it's not true. Of course, he didn't say that, he said we "could" be, which is indeed true. It's just a matter of motivating your players to work harder, especially when you know they haven't played their best ball.

Is this truly the answer to the problem of Michigan to look at what might have happened, if only.... If only I had a million dollars, I'ld be rich! Work harder? No, work smarter.

What double standards? I remember it being observed many times in 2007 how many close losses the Gophers, 6 of the losses were by 7 points or less, 3 of the losses were by a field goal or less. Yet there wasn't some firestorm in response to this observation.
You don't remember correctly. Not everyone did, but certain vocal people were. And I'm wondering where they are now.

I never had a problem with brewsters style, I had a problem with the results.

Hopefully this team doesn't look like it's gotten worse (again) this week.

Top Bottom