Sid Hartman: Gophers could easily be 4-0

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

"Could be 4-0

Jerry Kill said the Gophers football team has been in every one of the four games so far this season and rather than having a 1-3 record, could easily be 4-0.

"We have our limitations, we know that. The kids know that. We have no margin for error," Kill said. "We've been in every game, possibly, shoot we could sit here and be 4-0. We've been in every game, we just haven't closed them."

Kill added: "We have to learn how to do that and we're playing two rookie quarterbacks and the only way you learn is sometimes you have to learn the heard way. They're learning the tough way right now. I look for us to get better.

"Just like I told the seniors, "Hey, you'll be known as the class that hung in here. You're important to us and don't give up on yourself and don't get down. Just keep fighting and pushing and that's all you can do.' We all have adversities. You all have problems, too, in your life and things of that nature, what do you do? You just keep pushing forward, that's all you can do. Don't turn your back on them."

The Gophers are 20-point underdogs at Michigan this week. The defense will get a real test from Denard Robinson, perhaps the best running quarterback in the country."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/130823953.html

Go Gophers!!

Like someone said earlier on this board, good teams don't talk about what could have been or what should have been. But then again we're far from a good team...

Coach 'em up Kill! Go Gophers

3-1, They got beat last week, they weren't really in it at the end.

take away the td at the end of the first half and i would say they are in it.

3-1, They got beat last week, they weren't really in it at the end.
Huh? I'm not about to defend falling to yet another FCS foe, but how is having a chance to tie (or go ahead) late in the 4th quarter not being in the game?

No news here. Sid has been writing his "they could have been ___" column for years. Just fill in the number.

....and we have a leader in the clubhouse for a #1 seed in the Preposterous Statement Tournament. There's a reason this jock sniffing moron has a bracket named after him.....

Absolutely hilarious the back pedaling this clown has done the past few weeks. After the USC game he said "shame on you" to EVERYONE for predicting a 3-9 season and basically said Jerry Kill doesn't need to use the Washington Ave bridge to cross the river - he can just walk across the water. Fast forward 3 weeks and now he says there's no talent and Jerry Kill has the toughest job in the world and every other excuse under the sun.

Hang 'em up Sid. You're a joke.

Well

I could eat a cheeseburger and win the lottery too. Which one is more likely to happen? Easy answer.
The record is 1-3, time to look forward not back and talk about being 4-0 is just that talk.

We cannot change the past outcomes just because we say we were in every game, time to actually get what can happen this week
and see the players play better.
Michigan is a tough task in there house, with a good QB but they are beatable they are not Giant killers. Time to try and knock
off the Maize and Blue this week, get the jug, and not have regrets about the green and yellow or any other game for that matter.
Not many Gopher teams have touched the Jug, 1977, 1986, 2005 that is it, no wonder Michigan does not consider this a game of any
significance, it really is not a rivalry game.

"We've been in every game, possibly, shoot we could sit here and be 4-0. We've been in every game, we just haven't closed them.

This guy is starting to sound more like Brewster every day.

Considering a HUGE percentage of games, almost all of them actually, come down to a handful of plays one way or the other, just about every team in the country could say something similar.

As far as NDSU, people like to point to the Pick Six to close the first half as a defining moment. I would even go back one series more; if Stoudermire makes an open field tackle for no gain on 2nd and 10 with less than 2 minutes left, it's likely the first half ends 14-14. Instead, NDSU running back jukes Troy and romps 30-40+ yards shortly before NDSU takes the 21-14 lead. I thought THAT was just as critical.

Sid is an embarassing geriatric buffoon. Like I said, you could go through most seasons and point to a handful of defining plays that would swing the needle on 4-6 wins/losses. What's the point...

The difference between winning and losing is razor thin. Period.

Like someone said earlier on this board, good teams don't talk about what could have been or what should have been. But then again we're far from a good team...

Coach 'em up Kill! Go Gophers

Just like I read the other day on the Michigan collapse at the dome, if they would have won the game the program would have been on its way to stardom etc. These comments every year from Sid get tiresome, if this if that, you know what I mean. I am a die hard fan and always will be no matter what and I will continue to renew my season tickets every year, but it is frustrating being in it till the end especially in a conference game with one of the elites, you have to finish it out and find a way to win those games. That is how you turn that corner to greatness.

take away the td at the end of the first half and i would say they are in it.

Take away the td at the end of the first half(which was a fluke play and yes a lack of effort) and the Gophers would have had the lead at the end instead trying to tie/win the game on that drive.

As someone else said, many times a game comes down a couple of plays.

Huh? I'm not about to defend falling to yet another FCS foe, but how is having a chance to tie (or go ahead) late in the 4th quarter not being in the game?

How many times did the Gophers force NDSU to punt the ball. They were never going to win that game.

It is not preposterous, but while it is better to be close than to be blown out, it's pretty cold comfort.

When you have the pall with 3 minutes left, and one score down, yes, you are in the game, it doesn't matter how often the other team punted.

Could you imagine if Brewster had said what kill just said?

You mean last year? LOL

He's right, they could easily be 4-0. If guys could tackle better, or rush the passer better, or run and throw the football more consistently, yes, we could easily be 4-0 haha. But seriously, in all three losses, we had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead with under 3 minutes left. Clearly playing games that tight, it doesn't take much to lose them.

But I don't think Kill is oblivious to the fact that they are 1-3 for a reason. The message he's sending isn't "Hey, we just didn't get the breaks, what are you gonna do?". The message he's sending is more "If you just do these little things better, tackle better, not have the mental breakdowns in any given play, etc. these losses turn to wins".

"Sid-nility" strikes again. The man is just flat out an embarrassment to read, or God forbid, listen to.

Yes, Sid, and pigs could easily fly too, if they just had wings.

I think we're much closer to being 0-4, than 4-0. I agree we are in most of the games. It would be interesting to see where they fall if they were to play a cleaner game (few mistakes).

To quote Bob "Huggy Bear" Huggins, "You are what your record says you are."

Sid is rippable on a daily basis, but he's not the one who said they could be 4-0.

You mean last year? LOL

He's right, they could easily be 4-0. If guys could tackle better, or rush the passer better, or run and throw the football more consistently, yes, we could easily be 4-0 haha. But seriously, in all three losses, we had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead with under 3 minutes left. Clearly playing games that tight, it doesn't take much to lose them.

But I don't think Kill is oblivious to the fact that they are 1-3 for a reason. The message he's sending isn't "Hey, we just didn't get the breaks, what are you gonna do?". The message he's sending is more "If you just do these little things better, tackle better, not have the mental breakdowns in any given play, etc. these losses turn to wins".

Exactly what I was thinking too. For most of the people here, there is nothing Kill could say that they wouldn't rip. But he gets interviewed and asked questions. I don't find anything that isn't factual in anything Kill has said since he was hired. He's not saying we could be 0-4 to take the heat off of himself, that's the difference between him and Brewster.

Considering a HUGE percentage of games, almost all of them actually, come down to a handful of plays one way or the other, just about every team in the country could say something similar.

As far as NDSU, people like to point to the Pick Six to close the first half as a defining moment. I would even go back one series more; if Stoudermire makes an open field tackle for no gain on 2nd and 10 with less than 2 minutes left, it's likely the first half ends 14-14. Instead, NDSU running back jukes Troy and romps 30-40+ yards shortly before NDSU takes the 21-14 lead. I thought THAT was just as critical.

Sid is an embarassing geriatric buffoon. Like I said, you could go through most seasons and point to a handful of defining plays that would swing the needle on 4-6 wins/losses. What's the point...

The difference between winning and losing is razor thin. Period.

IN some cases yes. in most cases, no.

The better teams usually win, many times win big. There is a reason for it. Having the horses and the horses performing well has nothing to do with razor, thick or thin.

Top Bottom