Sid Hartman: Gophers beat themselves

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Gophers beat themselves

The Gophers football team should be 2-0 in the Big Ten rather than 0-2. But that’s where the Gophers are, after they lost in overtime at Penn State last week before giving up a 54-yard touchdown run to Akrum Wadley with 5 minutes, 28 seconds to play in Saturday’s 14-7 loss to Iowa at TCF Bank Stadium.

The Gophers have beaten themselves, though. They are second in the Big Ten in penalties with 43 and lead the Big Ten with 361 penalty yards, an average of 72.2 per game.

Typical of that situation was Saturday’s game. The Gophers were outplayed by Iowa, but they really hurt their chances at forcing overtime when, with the ball on the Hawkeyes 13-yard line after marching 75 yards on five plays, the Gophers were flagged for a false-start penalty to make things more difficult.

Now the Gophers have to find a way to win a number of road games if they want to have any shot of even reaching a bowl game.

“The one thing is you can’t hit a three-run homer,” Claeys said. “One game at a time. We’ve got to remember that, get ready for the next one, and we’re going to have to steal a couple on the road. When you lose at home it’s difficult and so that will be the focus. We’ll go after it one game at a time, but definitely our margin for error is nil, or zero. We’ll battle. Our kids will battle, I believe that. We have to find a way to steal a couple on the road.”

http://www.startribune.com/danielle...technique-has-paid-off-for-vikings/396425321/

Go Gophers!!

Guess Coach Claeys doesn't expect to win on the road, "have to steal a couple on the road".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He exudes confidence.

Claeys sounds a lot like Leslie Frazier did for the Vikings...Different week, same sound bites, same results...Hopefully the gophers can make a hire that vastly improves the team like Zimmer. (PS...I would take Carpenter over Walsh anyday).

So then are we 3-1-1? Where does beating ourselves go in the loss column?

Top Bottom