Sid Hartman: Goetz the favorite in search for Gophers athletic director

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

A visit with University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler revealed that the university is seeking out a local external search firm, which he hopes to have selected and hired in the next few weeks, to find a permanent athletic director.

However, I am sure interim athletic director Beth Goetz will get the permanent job, as sure as I was that Adrian Peterson would return to the Vikings after his suspension.

While the president would not commit himself to Goetz, my conversation with him convinced me Goetz will get the nod unless a candidate surfaces who is employed by a big-time school and is having problems with the administration there, like how Tubby Smith was displeased with the athletic director at Kentucky when he took the Gophers men's basketball coaching job in 2007.

http://www.startribune.com/beth-goe...arch-for-gophers-athletic-director/369204251/

Go Gophers!!

Side is old.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If Pitino or Lucia get fired, I think that'd be a pretty solid indicator that Goetz will get the permanent gig. Conversely, if they both keep their jobs, that probably means new blood is coming in and the new AD will fully assess Pitino and Lucia after their 2016-17 seasons.

It'll be interesting I could see Goetz keeping Lucia and Pitino around A firing would signify that she's the favorite though. I would say Lucia noose is a little tighter right now due to program expectations, low attendance, if you think the barn is a morgue, venture across the street. Also the record against the instate directional schools aren't doing the Don any favors and his contract will be up after next year and he hasn't been extended.

Top Bottom