Sid Hartman: Former coach Mason says Gophers still have work to do

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

“The way the game started out UNLV moved the ball right down the field against the defense — the defense that was ranked fifth in the Big Ten last year,” said Mason, who never should have been fired as the Gophers coach. “I think that was disappointing.”

“Offensively I’m sure they want to get the running game consistent,” Mason said. “I think Nelson looked good. I think the offensive line has to improve. But they got a lot of big plays in the kicking game and the defense came up with a score."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/221728721.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

It's subtle, but I noticed it last year, too. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but it seems Mason pulling for Kill to fail. This article also makes me wonder about the relationship between Mason & Hartman, who says Mason "never should have been fired." I wasn't a Gopher fan until Kill arrived and my allegiance is to him. I don't know much about Mason, but in following the team the last few years, he seems, understandably, to be bitter about being fired. How unfortunate for Jerry to have the jilted coach in such a prominent place of scrutiny as broadcast color man.

In the article, Mason said it was the first time he'd seen Nelson play. Really? So, as a BTN employee, keenly interested in what the Gophers do, he didn't see the last 7 games?

In the broadcast, Mason makes a big deal about the pass interference penalty on UNLV, saying the ball was uncatchable and way out of bounds. While the BTN did a lame job of showing replays in the game, they did show that play many times and the ball clearly landing a yard in bounds. He just seems to be rooting for Jerry to fail, so he can look better.

In the article, Mason admits he greatly misses coaching. Even with Hartman's backing, I don't think he's ever going to get the M job again, even if Jerry gets fired. If he really wants to coach, he ought to go find a gig and do it. Unless, he has tried...

I proposed this theory on here last season and some were quick to say Mason likes Kill. He probably likes apple pie and puppies, too. It's hard not to like Kill. He's a good man. But, I'll be paying close attention and afraid I'll be pointing out examples of Mason's jealousy all season long.

per Sid:

“The way the game started out UNLV moved the ball right down the field against the defense — the defense that was ranked fifth in the Big Ten last year,” said Mason, who never should have been fired as the Gophers coach. “I think that was disappointing.”

“Offensively I’m sure they want to get the running game consistent,” Mason said. “I think Nelson looked good. I think the offensive line has to improve. But they got a lot of big plays in the kicking game and the defense came up with a score."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/221728721.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

I agree but "who never should have been fired" kinda turned me off to the article. It was clear which direction Sid was going with this...

It's subtle, but I noticed it last year, too. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but it seems Mason pulling for Kill to fail. This article also makes me wonder about the relationship between Mason & Hartman, who says Mason "never should have been fired." I wasn't a Gopher fan until Kill arrived and my allegiance is to him. I don't know much about Mason, but in following the team the last few years, he seems, understandably, to be bitter about being fired. How unfortunate for Jerry to have the jilted coach in such a prominent place of scrutiny as broadcast color man.

In the article, Mason said it was the first time he'd seen Nelson play. Really? So, as a BTN employee, keenly interested in what the Gophers do, he didn't see the last 7 games?

In the broadcast, Mason makes a big deal about the pass interference penalty on UNLV, saying the ball was uncatchable and way out of bounds. While the BTN did a lame job of showing replays in the game, they did show that play many times and the ball clearly landing a yard in bounds. He just seems to be rooting for Jerry to fail, so he can look better.

In the article, Mason admits he greatly misses coaching. Even with Hartman's backing, I don't think he's ever going to get the M job again, even if Jerry gets fired. If he really wants to coach, he ought to go find a gig and do it. Unless, he has tried...

I proposed this theory on here last season and some were quick to say Mason likes Kill. He probably likes apple pie and puppies, too. It's hard not to like Kill. He's a good man. But, I'll be paying close attention and afraid I'll be pointing out examples of Mason's jealousy all season long.

Yes you are too sensitive and you need to find a different hobby.

It must be so foreign for Mason to see defense and special teams contributing to a victory.

Glen must have been lightheaded from the verbal hummer he got from his announcing partner. Glad they didn't put the camera in the booth because I'm sure they were spooning.

Seriously, I think Mason has forgotten more about football in the last five minutes then I have absorbed in my 60 years on the planet. But there's just something about the guy that makes him unlikeable. Of course, I'm probably not that likeable either.

I said it another thread, but the only comments that made me scratch my head were a couple of jabs at Hagemann and the comment about taking out Roderick Williams. Again, Glen knows defense, having played LB, but I don't know if he knows what Claeys is trying to do with the D-line, so Hagemann "not staying in his lane" may have more to do with what Claeys wants as opposed to what Hagemann did. As for taking Williams out, I can only say that one of the reasons Mason had so many RBs go over 1,000 yards is that they were in there midway through the 4th quarter regardless of score. That doesn't take away from the fact that Mason had a great running offense and that the 3rd stringers wouldn't have done well, but I just found it a bit hilarious.

Brilliant job by Sid in adding his opinion into what should be an objective article. I stopped reading right there.

Sid also needs to interview Brewster on what he thought about the game.

Brilliant job by Sid in adding his opinion into what should be an objective article. I stopped reading right there.

That's the first sentence in the job description of a columnist.

I really don't enjoy when Mason does Gopher games on BTN. He's so smug and condescending I usually mute it.

So there I was - at Applebee's in the Commons after the game. Who comes walking in? Grinnin' Glen Mason! He ends up sitting at the table next to ours and as he's sitting down my buddy says "Great game don't you think?" and Glen gets this completely condescending smile and says, "Well, it was a win..." and turns away from us. I was close to starting a conversation with my buddy that Mason would for sure be able to overhear about our defense and saying something like they hadn't played that well since Cal Stoll was coach, but decided that'd be petty... :)

Have you tried talking to a 94 year old who can't hear. You give an answer...you have to repeat the answer....you have to repeat the answer. There's a reason when Sid is on 'cco and Dave Lee asks about the Wolves victory last night and Sid says 'Huh?', Dave Lee doesn't bother repeating the question and just moves on to the Wild.

OMG!!! He disagreed with an official's call. HE MUST LOATHE JERRY KILL!! During the BTN preview show this week, Mase was asked which team, Minnesota or Indiana, would live up to the hype this season. DiNardo went Indiana, Mase didn't hesitate and said Minnesota. He's diabolical!
-----------------------
Mase goes on with Barreiro and they still yuck it up about Brewster. The Brewster era validated Mason's place in the history of Gopher football....nothing Kill does will harm Mason's reputation and what he was able to accomplish here.

But hey, we'll all be waiting for your weekly report on the great Mason bias.

Mason said that there "was still work to do"?

Watching the game, listening to the people around me and reading Gopher Hole today he was right.

"Still have work to do"? Groundbreaking stuff.

My thoughts too... Pretty obvious we still have work to do... Dah... Like most coaches will say after their first game of the season - you pick the sport, win or loose.

MASON BASHERS... BE HONEST ABOUT THIS...

“The way the game started out UNLV moved the ball right down the field against the defense — the defense that was ranked fifth in the Big Ten last year,” said Mason. “I think that was disappointing.”

WHAT DID HE SAY THAT YOU DISAGREE WITH?

Sid said the same thing about all the other fired coaches. Mason seemed reasonable in commentary the entire game and certainly has no thoughts of coaching again at UM.

per Sid:

Go Gophers

BleedGopher: you are contributing to another bashing of Mason session here. Will you allow me to provide some contrast for some of these outlandish comments made by the Mason bashers? This is a tired old subject BleedGopher. They threaten to ban me if I contribute any contrast to these HORRIBLY biased threads...but YOU introduce the fodder for these rants by the Mason bashers. You need to consider putting a bit of thought into what YOU are introducing in terms of content here.

Think about it BleedGopher. Is it your intention to provide a forum for Mason bashing without giving posters who may not agree with the Mason bashers a chance to respond. It would appear that this forum supports Mason bashing. Don't you want CONVERSATION that presents all sides and perspectives of the topics you introduce?

Please respond BleedGopher. IF you open this material up to the bashing shouldn't YOU insure that all sides of the this issue should be given an equal opportunity to be presented? Certainly these Mason bashers present tired old rants that they have presented in an endless stream of bashings.

Otherwise, 7 years after the fact, shouldn't you just use a bit more reason, common sense and decency about this topic? Where do YOU stand on this very real issue BleedGopher?

; 0 )

I thought Mason was fine as a commentator. He said he thought the line looked like it still needed to mature. From a guy who produced great running teams, to say that about a generally young line was fair. He certainly could have been harder on them.

He said if he would have been the coach who the interference call was made against he would have been yelling "uncatchable ball" What coach wouldn't as it certainly appeared to be uncatachable. I thought the d back contributed to that, but reasonable minds can differ and one would expect a coach to argue the aruable calls.

Glad he is no longer the coach but I failed to see the anti-Kill bias and think anyone who is going to keep an eye on Mason to point out his anti-Kill comments has too much time on their hands. It would not surprise me if Kill and Mason were to sit down and discuss the game that Kill would be harder on the performance than Mason was.

An ugly win in some ways, but it was a big improvement over the OT win last year, and good teams find ways to win even when they do not bring their A game. Not sure this is a good team, but I am hopeful and I am happy they found a way to win.

Mason doesn't have it out for Kill and he is not trying to get the Minnesota job back. I bet in the end Mason could care less if Kill succeeds or fails here as someone else stated his legacy at MN was cemented by Brewster and how things went downhill after he was fired.

People need to stop analyzing everything Mason says looking for some sort of hidden agenda.

Glen Mason outscored his opponents 123-14 during his first three games of season 3.

It must be so foreign for Mason to see defense and special teams contributing to a victory.

This brought me the lulz. And honestly, the exact thought I had (only in a much less humorous way).

The only 'Mason basher' I saw here was the 'kill' fan. Who, while I respect your following and fandom for the coach (I am a big Coach Kill fan as well), there's no way Mason was diggin' on Kill. They have been guests on the same radio shows/segments multiple times, Glen has gone on record and stated that he likes Coach Kill, and believe it or not, he's still a big Gopher fan.

I agree the Mason bashers need to let it go, but at the same time, the few of you here who are attempting to call out the Mason-bashers also need to let it go.

This cuts both ways.

Let's face it, there are some Gopher fans who are very thin-skinned, and they see any less-than-glowing comment as an attack on the team.

Having said that, it is a little unusual to have a former coach, who was fired from his job, come back and serve as a color man for the team he was fired from. Imagine Brad Childress doing color for a Vikings game - or Kurt Rambis doing color for a Wolves' game. I honestly think the BTN should not assign him to do Gopher games - simply to avoid that issue of bias (either for or against the Gophs.)

My attitude toward Mason as a broadcaster is much my attitude toward him as a coach - I don't think he's great - but he's not terrible. I actually think he does a better job in the studio show format, as opposed to doing color on the live broadcast.

Top Bottom