Sid Hartman: Celtics coach Stevens highly recommends Goetz for Gophers AD

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Stevens was asked if Goetz can handle dealing with all the issues and personalities that come with being an athletic director.

“There is no question about that,” he said. “She also understands that not every day is roses. She doesn’t lose her cool and she has a great temperament when things aren’t going well. Then when things do go really well, you know she’s the same, she just comes in and supports you and you feel good about working in the same environment as her. I’ve made it pretty well known how highly I think of her and I don’t know where they are in the whole search and everything else, but I can’t imagine finding anyone better.”

When asked what stood out about Goetz at Butler, Stevens said it was her relationship with student-athletes and her demeanor.

“I think it’s just the way she goes about her everyday business, she’s the same person every day and she treats people great,” he said. “She’s very smart. She’s passionate about the school she’s at. I actually texted with her [Monday] and she’s talking about all of the U of M athletics, talking about the big win in men’s basketball over Maryland last week. She’s so excited to be here and just to be a support to the athletes. That’s the one thing that I think in that position that you can never sell short is how much passion they have for supporting the athletes.”

http://www.startribune.com/celtics-...commends-beth-goetz-for-gophers-ad/370057131/

Go Gophers!!

Are there ever stories where a former co-worker does not recommend someone for a job? I guarantee that every AD candidate will have some high profile individual tell us how great that person is.

I know she'll get the job because she's the "safe" and "easy" pick (that's the Minnesota way, you know) and I hope like h*ll she's successful but I'll be disappointed if she gets the job. I think there's better options out there but like I said, if she's successful then I'll be on board.

I know she'll get the job because she's the "safe" and "easy" pick (that's the Minnesota way, you know)

An AD from a school without football with no ties to Minnesota was a "safe" and "easy" pick? A 31 year old with one year as a head basketball coach was a "safe" and "easy" pick? A tight ends coach who had never been a coordinator was a "safe" and "easy" pick? A football coach with well-documented health issues and no BCS experience was a "safe" and "easy" pick?

Imagine if they took risks.

An AD from a school without football with no ties to Minnesota was a "safe" and "easy" pick? A 31 year old with one year as a head basketball coach was a "safe" and "easy" pick? A tight ends coach who had never been a coordinator was a "safe" and "easy" pick? A football coach with well-documented health issues and no BCS experience was a "safe" and "easy" pick?

Sure she's "safe" and "easy". She's here and has worked along side the Prez. Rather than go out and find a stronger individual (IMO) for AD they'll select her because she's here and has been "learning on the job". What about Craig Thompson? What about Phil Estin? Both strong individuals with Minnesota ties and heck, Craig is a Gopher alum.

Do you honestly believe what you wrote about the "31 year old with one year as a head basketball coach"? He's the son of Rick Pitino. Do you honestly believe the thought never occurred to the U that his dad is Rick Pitino? Do you honestly believe they never once thought he would bring name recognition to the program and do you honestly believe they didn't think he would bring a Rick Pitino and Billy Donovan type play to the program? So yes, I think he was a safe bet.

As for the football coach. He has a long history of turning football programs around. Not much of a risky move.

I see what you're trying to do but I think you failed.

So bringing this back to Beth...Do we really want another experiment where someone is having to learn on the job? Of course we do.

That's big of you.

Thank you as I think it is as well. Unlike some folks, I don't have a problem admitting when I'm wrong. I'll gladly support her if I'm wrong as this athletic department is more important than my ego.

Do you have any thoughts on who should be selected as AD?

Hoping Phil Esten is in the mix. Know fans from the MWC would pay for C. Thompson's flight to Minneapolis. Goetz has no FB and little MBB experience. Other than that, no clue.

Are there ever stories where a former co-worker does not recommend someone for a job?

Typically, if someone thinks a coworker is not qualified for a position they would avoid commenting about it.

+1

Sure she's "safe" and "easy". She's here and has worked along side the Prez. Rather than go out and find a stronger individual (IMO) for AD they'll select her because she's here and has been "learning on the job". What about Craig Thompson? What about Phil Estin? Both strong individuals with Minnesota ties and heck, Craig is a Gopher alum.

Do you honestly believe what you wrote about the "31 year old with one year as a head basketball coach"? He's the son of Rick Pitino. Do you honestly believe the thought never occurred to the U that his dad is Rick Pitino? Do you honestly believe they never once thought he would bring name recognition to the program and do you honestly believe they didn't think he would bring a Rick Pitino and Billy Donovan type play to the program? So yes, I think he was a safe bet.

As for the football coach. He has a long history of turning football programs around. Not much of a risky move.

I see what you're trying to do but I think you failed.

So bringing this back to Beth...Do we really want another experiment where someone is having to learn on the job? Of course we do.

Do you really think she could do worse than AD's from the past 50 years? We're talking about Minnesota. We're not exactly a hotbed of winning tradition over those 50 years.

Brad Stevens gives an endorsement, the baseball coach gives an endorsement, the wrestling coach gives an endorsement, the women's teams are doing well this year. I'd say that Goetz has earned a shot at being AD and I'd say that she would do better than most, if not all, AD's you have in mind.

What I expect Goetz will do with the football program is she will wisely make sure she has the best folks the U can get. She has networking skills and she'd do as good of a job as anyone.

I'm surprised anyone thinks this was a safe hire. I think it was the complete opposite. All the things you're saying above doesn't make it a safe pick. They took a chance on a young, inexperienced coach because of his name and the praise of a few coaches. It was a high risk, high reward type of hire. A safe hire would have been an older, more experienced guy.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at how many Gopher sports fans are willing to give her a chance rather than wanting the school to hire someone with a big name and with a proven track record. Someone who would garner a 'WOW!' response. I guess I have finally figured out why Gopher athletics has been in the dumps for so long. We'll hire someone from Butler with little proven ability to run an athletic department at a Big Ten School and then we'll wonder why our sports programs have little to no success.

Maybe it's because I'm not from Minnesota or the upper Midwest but I don't understand the thought process of this university. They continually botch things over and over and over. From Teague, to dragging their feet at even coming up with a committee, to hiring a firm to research candidates, to likely hiring the person who was standing there the entire time...

Great; some of you think she'll be a good hire and I hope you're right and if she's not, THIS is why Gopher athletics is they way they are.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at how many Gopher sports fans are willing to give her a chance rather than wanting the school to hire someone with a big name and with a proven track record. Someone who would garner a 'WOW!' response. I guess I have finally figured out why Gopher athletics has been in the dumps for so long. We'll hire someone from Butler with little proven ability to run an athletic department at a Big Ten School and then we'll wonder why our sports programs have little to no success.

Maybe it's because I'm not from Minnesota or the upper Midwest but I don't understand the thought process of this university. They continually botch things over and over and over. From Teague, to dragging their feet at even coming up with a committee, to hiring a firm to research candidates, to likely hiring the person who was standing there the entire time...

Great; some of you think she'll be a good hire and I hope you're right and if she's not, THIS is why Gopher athletics is they way they are.

So all it takes is for the school to want to hire someone with a big name and track record? It's so simple! Where would you suggest they find someone who is available and has "proven ability to run an athletic department at a Big Ten school"?

You're claiming the U keeps making safe hires but then you make arguments for the hires being risky.

Big names with proven track records don't come to Minnesota. Stop the pipe dreams and join reality.
Goetz will be a very good AD for the Gophers. Just get over your distain for women in the role of AD.

Big names with proven track records don't come to Minnesota. Stop the pipe dreams and join reality.
Goetz will be a very good AD for the Gophers. Just get over your distain for women in the role of AD.

Hahaha. If you only knew, dude. Thanks for the laugh.

I guess with your mentality we should all just accept the fact that Gopher sports teams under perform and we need to be happy with being near or at the bottom of the division most of the "big" sports.

I suppose I can get on board with that since it's where we typically end up. I like daydreaming about Minnesota being a big time Big Ten athletic department but it looks like I should stop and live in reality. Good to know.

I guess with your mentality we should all just accept the fact that Gopher sports teams under perform and we need to be happy with being near or at the bottom of the division most of the "big" sports.

I suppose I can get on board with that since it's where we typically end up. I like daydreaming about Minnesota being a big time Big Ten athletic department but it looks like I should stop and live in reality. Good to know.
'Bout time!

I'm just looking forward to Goetz showing you that we have a great AD despite your clamoring for Donald Trump as the AD.

What big names out there do you suggest they try to hire then? Also, remember they can't hire someone who doesn't want the job. If someone is considered a big name with a proven track record, wouldn't they already have a pretty good job?

Oh quit talking stupid.

What was the "Big Time" record of the athletic directors at Wisconsin and Iowa?

In the case of a job opening, I cannot think of a single time when Sid hasn't wanted the person holding the interim position to get the job.

He also has never thought anyone needed to be replaced.

Top Bottom