Sid: Gopher student tix likely cut from 10K to 8K

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"Since the students didn't use a good portion of the 10,000 seats made available to them last year, the word is that the number of tickets available to students will be cut by some 2,000. The Gophers are also fortunate to have three opponents -- Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin -- whose fans follow their teams in flocks to help sell out some of the games at TCF Bank Stadium this fall. My prediction is that even though Kill has brought some interest to this team, season-ticket and single-game ticket sales will be down from 2010."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/118624829.html

Go Gophers!!

So this is how it all goes down? We buy a new stadium and we lose 2K seats to Big Red when they come into town....and they will buy them up. What a pathetic students section we have - little support for the players!

So this is how it all goes down? We buy a new stadium and we lose 2K seats to Big Red when they come into town....and they will buy them up. What a pathetic students section we have - little support for the players!

Hey, the student section we have is all good. Those are the kids that show up every game, for better or worse. Don't knock those kids. You mean to direct that comment towards the entire student body. If the entire student body took more interest and support the team, then our student section would be rockin'.

But slamming the student section is uncalled for.

Hopefully someone in the ticket office is thinking this out. Three games that you know will sell out and three OOC games. Tickets sold to those three games should each be paired up with a OOC games. It really is sas that we can't sell this out on our own.

Student section or student body....that's apples and oranges. My point is if u build it they still wont come!

Student section or student body....that's apples and oranges. My point is if u build it they still wont come!

If Kevin Costner built a field for a brutal White Sox team that never came close to winning the World Series, I highly doubt anyone would have come except maybe his dad.

Umm sure! Ok. But our student section attendence still sucks!

They need a system used like some other schools where if students don't show up for games, there tickets are made available to the public. I'd advocate for some kind of system where season ticket holders get first shot at unused student tickets so we know there is a decent chance they don't go to anyone wearing communist red or some other offensive color.

They need a system used like some other schools where if students don't show up for games, there tickets are made available to the public. I'd advocate for some kind of system where season ticket holders get first shot at unused student tickets so we know there is a decent chance they don't go to anyone wearing communist red or some other offensive color.
Then we are back to where we were before - students just buying season tickets and selling them to the public. So all away teams can fill up the endzone.

Hey, the student section we have is all good. Those are the kids that show up every game, for better or worse. Don't knock those kids. You mean to direct that comment towards the entire student body. If the entire student body took more interest and support the team, then our student section would be rockin'.

But slamming the student section is uncalled for.
I'm not slamming the students that are the student section - I'm slamming the students that now have football on campus and don't even support their team. Oh ewait...they came for the Air Force game in year #1.

Sid is wrong on this one. Thru the agreement with the students paying for a portion of the stadium, they have to keep the student section at 10k. What they can do, is the Monday before the game sell the unsold student tickets. This is the policy that is in place. Not sure where Sid is getting this from.

Thoughts.

A. Is there still a waiting list on season tickets,or did that end last year?
B. Why not take a page from the Twins and have season ticket/single game family packs?
C. There were maybe 2000-3000 students at the Iowa game. Most of those went on the field after the game. We need more Iowa type wins to keep the students coming.

I'm not slamming the students that are the student section - I'm slamming the students that now have football on campus and don't even support their team. Oh ewait...they came for the Air Force game in year #1.

We have to also cycle through 1 more season of "weather pu$$ies" (those that were "Dome Freshman" in 2008). As the succeeding classes come in, more and more will embrace the great outdoors.

It's like those 2009 Season Ticket Holders that bought new seasons ticket and have now dumped them.

They will be replaced. Time will tell, but it will take a new generation of outdoor fans (Twins, Gophers) to make this cycle complete. Your typical Viking fans will never buy in--unless they move outdoors.

You can't jsut expect the students to show up without an improved product, and last years games were horrible. If the city built a new arena for the TWolves do you guys seriously think that they will start selling out games? No F'n way. Last season was my last year of getting student tickets as a grad student, and I never picked up my tickets from the ticket office. I went to 3 or 4 games when I was given better tickets for free, otherwise i just didn't feel like going to the game. And at a price of $10 a ticket, I didn't really care that I didn't use them. That's a problem with having to price tickets so cheaply, it's easy to choose to not go to the game. Either way, don't rip the students for not showing up. Just because you go to a university doesn't mean to have to enjoy the historically crappy football program.

Either way, don't rip the students for not showing up. Just because you go to a university doesn't mean to have to enjoy the historically crappy football program.

No, but I will rip you for buying tickets and not using them. Not only that, but you seem to be really proud of yourself for doing so. Way to contribute.

You can't jsut expect the students to show up without an improved product, and last years games were horrible. If the city built a new arena for the TWolves do you guys seriously think that they will start selling out games? No F'n way. Last season was my last year of getting student tickets as a grad student, and I never picked up my tickets from the ticket office. I went to 3 or 4 games when I was given better tickets for free, otherwise i just didn't feel like going to the game. And at a price of $10 a ticket, I didn't really care that I didn't use them. That's a problem with having to price tickets so cheaply, it's easy to choose to not go to the game. Either way, don't rip the students for not showing up. Just because you go to a university doesn't mean to have to enjoy the historically crappy football program.
A individual is a perfect example of why our student section is never full. Don’t even buy tickets if you’re not there to support your student athletes. Bandwagon!

Three games that you know will sell out and three OOC games. Tickets sold to those three games should each be paired up with a OOC games.

NDSU will sell out too. Four sure sellouts, and three games with thousands of empty seats. Single game tickets to Nebraska/Wisconsin/Iowa/NDSU games should also require the purchase of a ticket to a New Mexico St., Miami (OH), or Illinois game.

I have gone to every home game the last 4 years as a student, and I suffered through some bad losses in the student section. Standing in the student section for the Iowa game and rushing the field after and touching Floyd with other students made every loss and every dollar WAY MORE than worth it. Everyone I know who bought tickets and b!tched out of that game was pissed about it, and I had something I will never forget. Definitely a good reason to keep being a true fan.

In conclusion, sucks to suck.

Top Bottom