Sid: Duron Carter, son of Cris Carter, is interested in MN

BleedGopher

Reaction score

My favorite part of the article?

Nadir Thorpe, an outstanding basketball recruit from the Boston area, has drawn enough interest from the Gophers staff that three coaches -- Tubby Smith, Vince Taylor and Ron Jirsa -- were in Las Vegas recently to watch him play. The Gophers have two scholarships available. Dan Coleman of Hopkins and Josh Oglesby, an Iowa star, are the other two at the top of the Gophers' recruiting list.

I know Sid doesn't write this stuff anymore...but these kind of errors are just embarrassing. Shouldn't people writing on the sports page have some nominal knowledge of the local scene?

The kid has talent, but needs to get his head right, a stint at Coffeyville just might be what the doctor ordered. Getting that type of athelete without using a scholaship would be a plus .

My favorite part of the article?

Nadir Thorpe, an outstanding basketball recruit from the Boston area, has drawn enough interest from the Gophers staff that three coaches -- Tubby Smith, Vince Taylor and Ron Jirsa -- were in Las Vegas recently to watch him play. The Gophers have two scholarships available. Dan Coleman of Hopkins and Josh Oglesby, an Iowa star, are the other two at the top of the Gophers' recruiting list.

I know Sid doesn't write this stuff anymore...but these kind of errors are just embarrassing. Shouldn't people writing on the sports page have some nominal knowledge of the local scene?

Indeed. The highlighted portion isn't correct, either. The Gophers currently have a roster of 11 scholarship players (potentially a 12th) out of 13 available. Plus, they have two seniors. That means they will have at least three scholarships available and as many as four (or five depending on Mbakwe's situation).

But, hey, why should Sid let facts get in the way of his reporting?

Duron couldnt hack it at the "The" Ohio State and their rigorous academics, what makes anyone think that he would be fine going up in class in terms of schooling.

Indeed. The highlighted portion isn't correct, either. The Gophers currently have a roster of 11 scholarship players (potentially a 12th) out of 13 available. Plus, they have two seniors. That means they will have at least three scholarships available and as many as four (or five depending on Mbakwe's situation).

But, hey, why should Sid let facts get in the way of his reporting?

Gophers have 12 players on basketball scholarship. Mbakwe is one of them.

There are 2 seniors so 3 scholarships are available to potential recruits.

Adam Bailey is police officer of the year. Congratulations to him.

Receiver Devin Crawford-Tufts of Edina, who is ranked with the fastest high school athletes in the state, also impressed Brewster enough that he was offered a scholarship. He gave his verbal right? Hope things works out for Carter.

Gophers have 12 players on basketball scholarship. Mbakwe is one of them.

There are 2 seniors so 3 scholarships are available to potential recruits.

No, the Gophers have 11 on schollie right now (including Trevor).

1) Nolen
2) Hoff
3) Sampson III
4) Iverson
5) Joseph
6) Mbakwe
7) Williams
8) Walker
9) Eliason
10) Hollins
11) Ahanmisi

If Osnieks shows up, then it is 12.

So, it will be at least 3 open rides, likely 4 (if no Oto), could be 5 (depending on Trevor).

Tyler Marz

Maybe a little redundent, but I am high on this kid. While he has an offer, no committment yet but I have a good feeling. He is a true three sport athlete, thus he has been the Athlete of the Week for KNUJ several times. Springfield is a small town west of Sleepy Eye on Highway 14.
I have a special feeling for kids from outstate making a mark at The U. So, that being said outside of his family and friends I am his biggest backer.

pow_at_perkins_use_for_webs_2-6-10.jpg

This from KNUJ athlete of the week broadcasts from Perkins.

No, the Gophers have 11 on schollie right now (including Trevor).

1) Nolen
2) Hoff
3) Sampson III
4) Iverson
5) Joseph
6) Mbakwe
7) Williams
8) Walker
9) Eliason
10) Hollins
11) Ahanmisi

If Osnieks shows up, then it is 12.

So, it will be at least 3 open rides, likely 4 (if no Oto), could be 5 (depending on Trevor).

Osenieks is on scholarship. It is only undetermined whether he is eligible to play or not.

Osenieks is on scholarship.

Kind of hard to be on scholarship when you're not in school. Oto is not on scholarship. He might be at some point, but right now he is not receiving any aid, and there's a decent chance he won't be. I made that point in the original post when I said there would be potentially be a 12th which was to suggest Sid's numbers were off and you wanted to pick a fight. Give it a rest. Right now there are 11 scholarship players on the roster. Period. Oto is not in school nor on campus, therefore officially is not on scholarship at this point. He's not considered a part of the team at this point. Coaches are recruiting as if they won't have him. What part of right now, currently, and potentially a 12th didn't you understand? I specifically talk about Oto potentially be a 12th schollie player in my original post and you felt the need to pick a fight? Slow day in your world?

What part of right now, currently, and potentially a 12th didn't you understand? I specifically talk about Oto potentially be a 12th schollie player in my original post and you felt the need to pick a fight? Slow day in your world?

Somebody pee in your Cheerios today?

Kind of hard to be on scholarship when you're not in school. Oto is not on scholarship. He might be at some point, but right now he is not receiving any aid, and there's a decent chance he won't be. I made that point in the original post when I said there would be potentially be a 12th which was to suggest Sid's numbers were off and you wanted to pick a fight. Give it a rest. Right now there are 11 scholarship players on the roster. Period. Oto is not in school nor on campus, therefore officially is not on scholarship at this point. He's not considered a part of the team at this point. Coaches are recruiting as if they won't have him. What part of right now, currently, and potentially a 12th didn't you understand? I specifically talk about Oto potentially be a 12th schollie player in my original post and you felt the need to pick a fight? Slow day in your world?

He's on scholarship for 2010-11 school year. Athletic scholarships start the first day of classes in fall semester (or quarter).

Athletic scholarships start the first day of classes in fall semester (or quarter).

Really?? I bet Eliot Eliason, Austin Hollins, Mo Walker, and Maverick Ahanmisi are interested to hear they'll be paying for the summer school classes they are currently taking as well as the rent on the rooms they are living in right now.

Those four ARE RECEIVING SCHOLARSHIP AID NOW. They are on campus, taking classes, and getting tuition, room, and board paid for as we speak. Oto Osenieks is not. That is fact. Osenieks might be on scholarship come this fall, which is what I've been saying all along, but as of now, he isn't. There's a good chance he won't ever be on scholarship, which was my point all along.

The simple fact of the matter is that Sid reported two open scholarships. I posted that that is incorrect. I correctly posted the Gophers have 11 players currently on roster and receiving scholarships (absolute fact) and they could get a 12th (Osenieks). As I said originally, that means the Gophers will have three available scholarships for sure, possibly four, and potentially five (depening on Trevor).

Are you seriously going to dispute any of those things?

Anyone have any idea if Carter needs to spend one or two years at CC?

Pretty sure it is just one to get his grades up. Shonn Greene did the same thing at Iowa.

If he hadn't qualified out of highschool, he would have to spend two years there.

Top Bottom