SIAP - "Recalling Jim Wacker, the ex-TCU coach who turned in his own team to the NCAA"

I don't think this would ever happen today. Wacker had the type of integrity that is no longer in existence in big-time sports, I'm afraid.

People once took pride in playing by the rules, and exhibiting sportsmanship — a la John Wooden. Class. Honor.

Now, it's "Hey, only suckers follow the rules".

Last edited:

I don't think this would ever happen today. Wacker had the type of integrity that is no longer in existence in big-time sports, I'm afraid.

People once took pride in playing by the rules, and exhibiting sportsmanship — a la John Wooden. Class. Honor.

John Wooden conveniently left his bagman off his pyramid of success

Pretty much. "If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin"

I am not sure you should use Wooden as your example...the dude broke plenty of rules.

I hated losing, but I did love Jim Wacker. And sadly, I think he missed his Minnesota breakthrough by one season. He had winning talent in place, and given another year I think they would have turned the corner.

To this day when I'm amped up about something, Wacker saying, 'The bloods a pumping and the corpuscles are a jumping' will run through my mind
Yup, and fortunate or not, "geezo-peezo" has been part of my vocabulary going on 30 years now.

Top Bottom