SI: The meaning of commitment: What does a verbal pledge really signify?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SI:

As the number of publications that cover recruiting has grown over the past 20 years, the term “commitment” has become increasingly difficult to decipher. It encompasses an array of subcategories that obscure what seems like a relatively straightforward gesture. Phrases such as heavy lean, soft commit, silent commit and solid to school X have risen in popularity, all of which imply varying levels of assurance that a prospect will go on to play for a given school.

When a player verbally commits, the general understanding is he is declaring his intention to enroll. In many instances, though, this conclusion is far from accurate.

Another byproduct of the boom in coverage is an urge to attach newsworthiness to statements that may lack significance. For example, in some cases there could be a small difference between a player noting that a specific school is his leader and saying that he is leaning toward that school. Should the two be treated as separate developments? Or are they one in the same?

http://www.si.com/college-football/...otball-recruiting-commitment-language-meaning

Go Gophers!!

per SI:

As the number of publications that cover recruiting has grown over the past 20 years, the term “commitment” has become increasingly difficult to decipher. It encompasses an array of subcategories that obscure what seems like a relatively straightforward gesture. Phrases such as heavy lean, soft commit, silent commit and solid to school X have risen in popularity, all of which imply varying levels of assurance that a prospect will go on to play for a given school.

When a player verbally commits, the general understanding is he is declaring his intention to enroll. In many instances, though, this conclusion is far from accurate.

Another byproduct of the boom in coverage is an urge to attach newsworthiness to statements that may lack significance. For example, in some cases there could be a small difference between a player noting that a specific school is his leader and saying that he is leaning toward that school. Should the two be treated as separate developments? Or are they one in the same?

http://www.si.com/college-football/...otball-recruiting-commitment-language-meaning

Go Gophers!!

Not sure the story really broke any ground other then proving that the whole process is really confusing and convoluted. The bottom line with me for recruiting is while it is great to get the verbal commitments I also put very little stock in them prior to signing day because they are really just place holders at this point and don't guarantee anything. I would love an early signing date where a player could commit and sign and be done with the process, make the commitment actually mean something. Right now it is way too easy and accepted for a player to make a commitment while still playing the field hoping for something better to come along.

I think the notion of early signing period is a valid one espoused by a few coaches (Kill included?).

We'd still want to keep the February NSD, but have an option for kids who already made up their minds. This may stop the unnecessary overzealous bombardment to the HS kids.

It costs schools north of the Mason Dixon Line away from the SEC/SEC/BIG 12 recruiting sweetspots hundreds of thousands of dollars in recruiting costs that they'll not realized if a kid who committed earlier flips schools at the last moments as has experienced by the Gophers coaching staff.

I know the SEC is not in favor of this for various selfish reasons.

Like my son has said time and time again..."A verbal committment isn't worth the paper it's written on."

I'd be in favor of just accepting that a verbal agreement means nothing if it was fair in both directions.

School says to 9th grader - We like you, if you don't screw up and continue to improve we'll take you when your a senior. We retain the right to pass your spot on to a better player if one comes along in the next three years.

9th grader says to School - I like you too. If your program doesn't go in the tank and switch coaches twice I'll go with you. I retain the right to take an offer from a better school if I get one in the next three years.

Making it about honor and commitment is too one sided. Schools are forced to be honorable otherwise their reputation suffers and they can't deal with future recruits. When players vacillate it only affects them personally and the school they flip to is always willing to overlook any damage done to the players "reputation" by switching. By sophomore year no one cares how many schools a player committed to.

Top Bottom