SI: Multiple changes coming to ESPN's College GameDay this season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SI:

• GameDay will have limited commercials in its opening hour this year as viewers will get long stretches of conversation, with an aim toward hardcore football fans. “I think we need to have stronger opinions and more opinions, but do so organically,” Fowler said. “I think one of the reasons GameDay has had its long-term success is we don’t force things in merely for theater.

• Fitting says the show is looking to add a full-time DJ to keep the crowds (mostly of college students) entertained. The DJ will occasionally appear on air, and the hope is to hire a woman in the role. “One of the challenges we have run into with the show going three hours is we are asking the kids to be out there for 3-5 hours and they lose energy,” Fitting said. “So we thought: Why don’t we bring a DJ out that plays music off air during breaks? You keep the crowd energized and it becomes more of a party." This person would then slowly become on-air talent for GameDay. Fitting said that since the show is “overloaded with middle-age males,” his preference was to get a female DJ.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2014/...e-gameday-chris-fowler-espn-outside-the-lines

Go Gophers!!

I don't mean to sound cynical, but how can anyone watch GameDay?
Between going to Gopher games and the others I watch on TV, I get plenty of football and have no desire to watch a pregame show filled with information I already know.

Between going to Gopher games and the others I watch on TV, I get plenty of football and have no desire to watch a pregame show filled with information I already know.

Totally agreed with that, CP. Pawn Star reruns are more entertaining.

It's all about the signs in the crowd.

I have it on in the background. I like the signs and the prediction segments.

I love game day. I'm a college football fan, not just a fan of my team. In my view, CGD is the place where you get a take on all the other games. The only alternative is print.

I love GameDay. They give takes on so many games across the country that would otherwise not have a chance to hear about. I dont have time during the week to research every game.

I think one of the reasons GameDay has had its long-term success is we don’t force things in merely for theater.

Fitting says the show is looking to add a full-time DJ to keep the crowds (mostly of college students) entertained...his preference was to get a female DJ.

So...you're getting a female DJ for theater? Thought so.

Get rid of Desmond Howard the twit and I'd pay attention to Gameday much more often.

Either way, I prefer watching the BTN's pregame show over Gameday, that's where my main interest is (Big Ten). Only thing I have to see on Gameday is the expert picks at the end of the show. Corso is a boob, but I have to see who he takes in the top matchup.

Get rid of Desmond Howard the twit and I'd pay attention to Gameday much more often.

Either way, I prefer watching the BTN's pregame show over Gameday, that's where my main interest is (Big Ten). Only thing I have to see on Gameday is the expert picks at the end of the show. Corso is a boob, but I have to see who he takes in the top matchup.
If Corso wasn't a borderline crazy person he wouldn't be on the show, his antics are the some of the best parts of Gameday.

If Corso wasn't a borderline crazy person he wouldn't be on the show, his antics are the some of the best parts of Gameday.

Very true. That's probably why, as a whole, I don't watch Gameday all that much. I prefer substance over antics.

Soooo they want to make this more about the conversation and be for hard core college football fans.... Lets get a female DJ...

They know their demographic well.

showbiz_paris_hilton.jpg

Very true. That's probably why, as a whole, I don't watch Gameday all that much. I prefer substance over antics.

Which is why I stopped watching GameDay (and ESPN as a whole) years ago. Corso has become a caricature of himself, nothing but comic relief. Put the show back in the studio except for the biggest games of the year - if both teams aren't ranked in the top 10, don't bother - and focus on content.

Meh. Sports these days are being suffocated by "substance", antics are a welcome addition.

Meh. Sports these days are being suffocated by "substance", antics are a welcome addition.
agreed
The first tv show that showcases a bunch of dudes with band aids around their glasses talking about DVOR and adjusted pass yards and the intricacies of qbr and obp and OPS yada yada.... That show will not be watched by me.

The first tv show that showcases a bunch of dudes with band aids around their glasses talking about DVOR and adjusted pass yards and the intricacies of qbr and obp and OPS yada yada.... That show will not be watched by me.

Agree with you there. That's not substance. That's pure boredom.

I don't get you guys. I love CGD. Is the official start to a long, awesome Saturday full of college football and beer. It's entertaining, and that's all it's supposed to be.

Gameday is going to Fargo next week for Incarnate Word at North Dakota State.

The BTN pre game is virtually unwatchable unless you are full to the brim with B1G koolaid. I would swear there were no games played outside the B1G league when watching that show. If you are a total homer it's the show for you, as they go out of their way to avoid college football as a whole. Gameday at least covers the whole.

The BTN pre game is virtually unwatchable unless you are full to the brim with B1G koolaid. I would swear there were no games played outside the B1G league when watching that show. If you are a total homer it's the show for you, as they go out of their way to avoid college football as a whole. Gameday at least covers the whole.

The BTN pre game show's first responsibility is to look at the Big Ten games. During the first 4 weeks that is 13 or 14 games. That doesn't leave much time for other games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom