SI has Gophers recruiting ranked 41st in nation, 6th in BT

Ahead of the Badgers - interesting. Last I heard we were 11th in the BIG 10....guess we moved up.

People seem pretty pumped about Alex Keith committing. Will that commitment move us up into the top 40 or top 5 of the Big Ten? How many times have we been in the top 5 of the conference in recruiting? I can't imagine many.

People seem pretty pumped about Alex Keith committing. Will that commitment move us up into the top 40 or top 5 of the Big Ten? How many times have we been in the top 5 of the conference in recruiting? I can't imagine many.

Rivals has us ranked 12th in the Big Ten. Really you can never tell with rankings. With newer rankings coming up soon from Rivals we may move up (Nelson moving to 4 star) and maybe others moving from 2 to 3 star. So who knows, recruiting ratings don't matter, it is all about developing the talent anyways.

Eh, it's still behind. Still has Twitty and Hinds as commits. I'll wait until signing day to look at rankings, then brush them off.

I agree that recruiting rankings are not the end all be all in terms of the value of a class and no one should ever get caught up in the number of stars by a guys name. There are always going to be 2 star guys that become superstars and 4 star guys that are worthless. That being said the teams that consistently finish with the top recruiting classes tend to be the teams that finish near the top of the real standings. So while getting caught up in the rankings is not a good idea there is some value in them as they do give some indication as to the quality of players being brought in.

Strange that SI and Rivals have us so far apart. Being top 50 in one and dead last in the conference in the other is a pretty broad split. I know there is lots of variation in how the sites rank players but you would think they would be a little closer overall. Guess we should all be hoping that SI has the better talent evaluators on its staff.

So you suppose that Nebraska will be no where to be seen any where except in the SI "fantasy high school recruiting ranking tease?"

Seems rather silly to pay any attention at this point in time...

; 0 )

24/7's recruiting rankings are likely weighted on number of commits which would explain why Minnesota ranks higher in their rankings than rivals. I would be very happy if the Gophers could wind up 6th in the Big Ten on the reputable recruiting sites in February. If you can't look at the evidence and realize that their is a strong correlation between these rankings and results on the field, I don't know what to tell you.

For someone asking about Alex Keith, unless his offer list is inaccurate he chose Minnesota over offers from Northern Iowa and Missouri State.

I'm with wren. This ranking really looks kind of bogus. I trust Kill will do well as a recruiter, but the ranking here appears to have more to do with the fact that we have 20+ kids signed and other places have considerably less. My comments shouldn't detract from the fact that I am relatively optimistic.

I think the most important thing to remember is, Kill and his staff have been here less than a year. Come February over 50% of our scholarships will be basically his kids. Brewster left the cupboard unbalanced, but far from bare. If the fine-tuning hasn't begun, it will shortly.

Scout has us at 48th. Who knows on the rankings. The two new State Champion kids the Gophers are recruiting from the same school in Florida have 2** rankings from Rivals and 3*** rankings from Scout.

I think the most important thing to remember is, Kill and his staff have been here less than a year. Come February over 50% of our scholarships will be basically his kids. Brewster left the cupboard unbalanced, but far from bare. If the fine-tuning hasn't begun, it will shortly.

Agree howie. I don't believe that Gutey left a bare cupboard for Wacker, Wacker for Mason, Mason for Brewster, or Brewster for Kill. The problem that has plagued the program for years has been a lack of depth moving forward and hopefully Kill can correct that post haste.

How so? Come Feb. it will only be 25 percent of the roster will be his players. IMO, you can't count last year as a part of your 50% kids on scholarship.

How so? Come Feb. it will only be 25 percent of the roster will be his players. IMO, you can't count last year as a part of your 50% kids on scholarship.

Why not? Of the 24 players that made it here for fall (26 minus Gardener and Crawford), 17 of them committed to Kill and his staff, and almost none of them were even on the radar for Brewster and staff. When you count the probable 28 that will sign this spring, that means that 45 (or >50% of the 85 available) of the scholarship players who hit the field in fall 2012 will be Kill recruits.

That being said, I don't think it is fair to credit (or discredit, if you prefer) Kill for the 2011 class given that he had ~2 months to recruit them for signing day.

UW just had five consensus first team and seventeen overall 1st, 2nd, or HM coaches or media all-conference selections. I'm pretty sure they have never ranked in the top 4 of the B10 recruiting rankings. The rankings are at best, directional.

UW just had five consensus first team and seventeen overall 1st, 2nd, or HM coaches or media all-conference selections. I'm pretty sure they have never ranked in the top 4 of the B10 recruiting rankings. The rankings are at best, directional.

Fallacy of composition FTW!

Rivals has us ranked 12th in the Big Ten. Really you can never tell with rankings. With newer rankings coming up soon from Rivals we may move up (Nelson moving to 4 star) and maybe others moving from 2 to 3 star. So who knows, recruiting ratings don't matter, it is all about developing the talent anyways.

I may be mistaken, but I do not think that Nelson was upgraded to 4 stars. He was upgraded to the #16 QB, which is a very high 3 stars. I'm not sure what he number he was before, but I'm fairly certain it was higher than #16. Being ranked the 16th Quarterback in the nation is quite the honor.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/football/recruiting/player-Philip-Nelson-119117

I may be mistaken, but I do not think that Nelson was upgraded to 4 stars. He was upgraded to the #16 QB, which is a very high 3 stars. I'm not sure what he number he was before, but I'm fairly certain it was higher than #16. Being ranked the 16th Quarterback in the nation is quite the honor.
I think someone said Rivals was going to upgrade Nelson because he was an All-American of some sort.

I think someone said Rivals was going to upgrade Nelson because he was an All-American of some sort.

Whether or not he deserved to be upgraded to 4 stars from 3, it appears as if he was upgraded, but just to a higher 3 star status.

Top Bottom