Showdown at the Pioneer Press! Shooter says Tubby has NOT been offered Oregon job

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Marcus says an offer is on the table, Shooter says it is not. What is a sports editor to do?!

Shooter Now: Gophers' Tubby Smith says he has not been offered Oregon job
By Charley Walters
Updated: 03/30/2010 04:42:14 PM CDT

University of Minnesota Gophers basketball coach Tubby Smith said today he has no idea where rumors have emanated that he's being considered for various coaching jobs.

"I don't know; I haven't been contacted by anybody," Smith said.

On Monday, the Pioneer Press reported that Oregon had offered Smith the job for in excess of $2 million per year, citing a person with knowledge of the situation. Smith said today he has not been offered the job.

"No, zero," Smith said emphatically. "I don't know how that got out there. It could be that we're in the process of getting an (contract) extension and stuff here."

The Pioneer Press also reported Monday that University of Minnesota president Bob Bruininks said the school is working on an extension for Smith. Minnesota also is planning a $20 million basketball practice facility to be built near Williams Arena.

"So it might be those things, I don't know," Smith said.

Smith, 58, has four years remaining on his Minnesota contract that pays him $1.8 million annually. I asked him how many more years he would like on an extension.

"I don't know; that's up to my lawyer and those people who work with me," he said. "My whole thing is that we're comfortable here, we like where we're going, we like what we've done with the program, we like the kids we've got coming back, we like the kids we've signed and we're going to sign more."

Rumors and reports have linked Smith to jobs including Oregon, Georgia Tech and Auburn.

"It was crazy," he said. "I haven't sent any signals out there that I'm ready to move."

So Smith is staying at Minnesota?

"I never say never," he said. "I've been through it before, and you never say no because if you do, it makes you look like a fool. I'm just saying today, the thing is that we're happy here."

Suppose Phil Knight, the multibillionaire Nike, Inc., chairman and Oregon grad who is an influential booster for his alma mater, were to, through Oregon, make Smith an offer he couldn't refuse? Oregon is without an athletic director.

"I'm not getting into any hypotheticals," Smith said. "That's why I said, and always say, 'at this time.'

"It's just like anything else. When I go into a recruit's home, I say, 'You know what, son, I could walk out this door and a car could hit me. So make this decision on this is where you want to go to school, where you want to get an education. Old coach Smith, anything could happen to him. So just know that's the way life is.' "

Smith said he expects to coach at Minnesota next season.

"I expect to be here next year, yeah," he said.

Still, you never know what offer could be forthcoming.

"Oh, shoot, if somebody comes in here with something crazy, something stupid ..." he said.

The Smith drama, though, could continue for at least another month. Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi said today that if Smith were to leave before April 30, he would owe Minnesota $1 million as part of his contract buyout.

After April 30, though, there is no contract buyout. Smith would be free to leave without financial penalty.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_14785555?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

Quotes

"I don't know; I haven't been contacted by anybody," Smith said.

"No, zero," Smith said emphatically. "I don't know how that got out there. It could be that we're in the process of getting an (contract) extension and stuff here."

"So it might be those things, I don't know," Smith said.

"I don't know; that's up to my lawyer and those people who work with me," he said. "My whole thing is that we're comfortable here, we like where we're going, we like what we've done with the program, we like the kids we've got coming back, we like the kids we've signed and we're going to sign more."

"It was crazy," he said. "I haven't sent any signals out there that I'm ready to move."

"I never say never," he said. "I've been through it before, and you never say no because if you do, it makes you look like a fool. I'm just saying today, the thing is that we're happy here."

"I'm not getting into any hypotheticals," Smith said. "That's why I said, and always say, 'at this time.'

"It's just like anything else. When I go into a recruit's home, I say, 'You know what, son, I could walk out this door and a car could hit me. So make this decision on this is where you want to go to school, where you want to get an education. Old coach Smith, anything could happen to him. So just know that's the way life is.' "

Smith said he expects to coach at Minnesota next season. "I expect to be here next year, yeah," he said.

"Oh, shoot, if somebody comes in here with something crazy, something stupid ..." he said.

I'm guessing Smith is being truthful. Fact is...he could be offered a job without even haven personally talked to anyone. His people (lawyers) might have an offer in hand... who knows.

I don't think this sheds any light on the subject. He says the rumors are crazy and then says "never say never". I read "leverage" all over this article. He wants to ensure the U moves the practice facility to a fast track. Hopefully we can dedicate the new practice facility to the University of Oregon for giving the project a kick in the pants.

I'm guessing Smith is being truthful. Fact is...he could be offered a job without even haven personally talked to anyone. His people (lawyers) might have an offer in hand... who knows.

I don't think this sheds any light on the subject. He says the rumors are crazy and then says "never say never". I read "leverage" all over this article. He wants to ensure the U moves the practice facility to a fast track. Hopefully we can dedicate the new practice facility to the University of Oregon for giving the project a kick in the pants.

Tubby said Never Say Never almost every year at UK. Only in 2007 did it actually come to pass.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but Tubby's being a master politician with these quotes. He's emphatic in his denial, yet goes out of his way to say 'never say never' and 'if someone came in here with something crazy.' I believe him and he's probably just using leverage as you say. But he's certainly bending over backwords with the wiggle room too.

how

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but Tubby's being a master politician with these quotes. He's emphatic in his denial, yet goes out of his way to say 'never say never' and 'if someone came in here with something crazy.' I believe him and he's probably just using leverage as you say. But he's certainly bending over backwords with the wiggle room too.

I admit it can be a bit nerve racking but I like the way Tubby handles this stuff.

I think that is about as definitive of an answer as we're going to get. Most coaches would give that same answer. I think I would say the same thing if I were asked if I plan to stay at my job.

I don't think he's leaving for awhile. I think he wants to make his mark here.

What I don't like in all of this is the trend of coaches having their people talk to the people who call.

Then they can know what is out there and what might be possible, but can also say that they never talked to anybody.

This comment, for the record, is not Tubby specific. It is a general comment. I have no idea if Ricky Lefft has spoken with a number of schools or not. He might have. He might not have.

I admit it can be a bit nerve racking but I like the way Tubby handles this stuff.

Bingo. I love how Tubby operates.

I'm not going to sit here and say there haven't been moments where it's felt like I've been on an emotional roller-coaster with the rumors and such, but then again I just gotta enjoy the ride.

Most of all, let's enjoy the time Tubby is here as leader of this program.

Wow, I would hate to have to be put in this type of situation where the public is hanging on your every word and move regarding your job. Imagine that type of pressure. There will always be people on both sides ripping you or giving you praise on how you handle certain situations. However this isn't Tubby's first rodeo and knows how to play the game quite well. It also sounds like he doesn't give any concrete promises to recruits regarding whether he will stay during their entire tenure at the school.

Tubby ain't going anywhere. Only a damn fool would promise to stay with a job. The best relationships are the ones with a little tension in them, no?

By the time Tubby leaves here it is going to be a premier job. Whoever posted earlier that these rumors will help the program was 100% correct.

What a classic. In some strange way it seems that Shooter is bailing Fuller out. If not, Fuller looks like just as big of an idiot as Souhan did.

Fuller's story is THE only source on this nationally. My God, how embarrassing.

The other aside from this was Michelle Tafoya talking briefly on WCCO about this whole situation. She commented that she's heard from several people and I don't remember who else was on with her, but they also had heard the same things, and that was that Donna Smith LOVES it here. I'll take her word for it over our resident Doogie's anyday.

Tubby to Oregon according to ...

Both Andy Katz and Doug Gottlieb, college basketball analysts for ESPN, predicted on-air this evening that Tubby Smith will take the Oregon job. They cited better facilities and greater compensation as their reasons.

Both Andy Katz and Doug Gottlieb, college basketball analysts for ESPN, predicted on-air this evening that Tubby Smith will take the Oregon job. They cited better facilities and greater compensation as their reasons.

I was watching as well. Maybe I wasn't paying attention because Katz said during the last game that Tubby WOULD NOT take the job.

Are you sure about that? :)

Both Gottlieb and Katz again citing the " offer " that doesn't exist eminating from the erroneous reporting of Marcus Fuller.

Katz said no. . .Doug said only if they double his salary and give him an annuity (in other words a pay package never given to a college coach before). Doug was just talking out of his a$$, he had no inside information.

Katz said no. . .Doug said only if they double his salary and give him an annuity (in other words a pay package never given to a college coach before). Doug was just talking out of his a$$, he had no inside information.

Thank you. Lol. So what is your agenda MillionMoves?

Top Bottom