Show your support for coach Brewster

Khaliq

Reaction score
With Brewster starting to come under fire from some local media sources, I was trying to think of a fun way to show solidarity and support for the coach. Obviously wearing maroon and gold shows our support for the team, but how can we express en masse how we feel about Brewster?

With Halloween coming up I thought it might be fun to don some Brewster masks and show the TV camera an army of Brews at the Badgers game.

All you'll need to do is print out the following file on a nice quality inkjet, paste it to some flexible light cardboard and cut it out. I'm going to make a bunch of them to hand out at the game but I thought some people might want to give it a go themselves. :)

Here's a JPG of the mask:

2prxnj5.jpg

And here's a link to a ZIP file containing a PSD of the mask if anyone wants to make any modifications in Photoshop.

Maybe it's silly but I thought it could be fun. :) It might make some more sense to wait until Michigan State though when it actually is Halloween, thoughts?

You should also have the 1984 version with the cheesey mustache!!!

My policy is to never, ever feel bad for millionaires in their professional lives. So...

His pay-stub vs. my pay-stub = no drummed-up emotional support for a vulnerable ego.
It's not about feeling bad for him, it's about showing that the fan base wants him to stay in town and get an extension.

Scary Ugly...Looks kind of like a "Death Mask".

I think it looks kind of like you're mocking our coach especially so close to Halloween. They wore Nixon masks to mock Nixon and GW masks to mock GW.

I won't be wearing one even though I think Brewster is doing just fine thank you very much.

creeepy....but sweet at the same time lol...I wanna see the look on his face when he looks up into the crowd and sees 50 of himself LOL

It's not about feeling bad for him, it's about showing that the fan base wants him to stay in town and get an extension.

You seem pretty sure that the "fan base" wants him to stay in town and get an extension. If a poll were to be created today asking whether fans want him to stay or not, I wonder what the percentages would be? I don't know the answer...just asking.

You seem pretty sure that the "fan base" wants him to stay in town and get an extension. If a poll were to be created today asking whether fans want him to stay or not, I wonder what the percentages would be? I don't know the answer...just asking.

Try looking at it this way. What % of the fans do you think would prefer A) the Gophers being successful or B) maintaining mediocrity or slipping into ineptitude? Something tells me most would choose A. And oddly enough, A would result in Brewster getting his extension while B would get him canned.

If you focus solely on Brew, you ignore that many fans care more about the fate of the program rather than the coach. I'm sure there are plenty of fans who dislike Brew that would be plenty happy if he turns out winning teams.

Try looking at it this way. What % of the fans do you think would prefer A) the Gophers being successful or B) maintaining mediocrity or slipping into ineptitude? Something tells me most would choose A. And oddly enough, A would result in Brewster getting his extension while B would get him canned.

If you focus solely on Brew, you ignore that many fans care more about the fate of the program rather than the coach. I'm sure there are plenty of fans who dislike Brew that would be plenty happy if he turns out winning teams.

But if you're talking about support for Brewster, I'm pretty sure that if they DO finish 5-7 you'll hear plenty of cries for Maturi to not extend the contract. I'd much rather wait and see how things end up this season before passing any judgments about Brewster's future (as if I have anything to do with his fate in real life) - but I think the jury is still out on him based on his past performance.

Believe me that I'd love for nothing more than an 8-4 Gopher season - my hat would be off to Brew if it happens!

Depends which fan bases you ask. If it was a national poll, it would be a landslide that he was doing a GREAT job and should get an extension ASAP. The only fans that rip him are WI, IA, and some locals that listen to our media. All other fans think he is turning the Minnesota program around and definitely moving in the right direction.

Thanks you Khaliq! My Halloween costume this year is now complete!

But if you're talking about support for Brewster, I'm pretty sure that if they DO finish 5-7 you'll hear plenty of cries for Maturi to not extend the contract. I'd much rather wait and see how things end up this season before passing any judgments about Brewster's future (as if I have anything to do with his fate in real life) - but I think the jury is still out on him based on his past performance.

Believe me that I'd love for nothing more than an 8-4 Gopher season - my hat would be off to Brew if it happens!

How is this different than what I said? If he doesn't deliver most won't want his extended and many will call for him to be fired.

How is this different than what I said? If he doesn't deliver most won't want his extended and many will call for him to be fired.

I agree with the converse - I don't want him extended UNTIL he proves successful. I thought you were suggesting that we should believe he deserves an extension until he proves otherwise this year. It's just a which came first kind of question (or a "who's on first" maybe?). :)

I agree with the converse - I don't want him extended UNTIL he proves successful. I thought you were suggesting that we should believe he deserves an extension until he proves otherwise this year. It's just a which came first kind of question (or a "who's on first" maybe?). :)

Ah...that explains it. :) I think he should earn the extension. For me, 7-5 would warrant a 1 year extension if the losses weren't of Iowa debacle quality but I can understand if folks want to see more.

That is a pretty big assumption that Brewster equals success though I understand that is your opinion. Brewster has hung his hat on recruiting and touted his successes there but as we all know it takes the talent and coaching/development to win.

While I think he has done a good job at recruiting it appears that he is starting to fall farther down the rankings in relation to his Big 10 counterparts year after year in recruiting. Add to the fact that those teams in front of Minnesota in recruiting are largely thought to have better coaching than us and that is worrisome. It is hard to win and move into the upper echelon of the Big 10 when there are 3-6 teams with better talent and coaching in front of you. Here is where Minnesota has ranked according to Rivals in relation to the rest of the Big 10. I purposely left off the 2007 class since he was not here for all of that recruiting period. I also included average stars per player because it accounts for the differences in class sizes. I am afraid that unless he reversed this trend soon or suddenly becomes a superior coach to the coaches in front of him that we are looking at a perennial middle of the conference team.

2010 Team Rankings thus far--- 6th in Big Ten, 7th if going based on average stars per player behind Illinois.

2009 Team Rankings 6th, 4th by average stars

2008 team rankings 3rd, 3rd by average stars as well

2010 Team Rankings thus far--- 6th in Big Ten, 7th if going based on average stars per player behind Illinois.

Well 2008 and 2009 are both right about where we want them. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anyone we could bring in that would allow us to compete with OSU/PSU/Michigan every year, at least not right off the bat. As for the 2009 ranking of 6th, I'm guessing you know this already because you thought to point out the difference, but a class can only get so high in years where there aren't a lot of scholarships to offer. That was just a year where we didn't have a ton of spots to give, which is why I think on a year-by-year basis, average player rank ia much better indicator of the strength of the class.

The 2010 class does appear to be shaping up to be not as top-heavy, but there's still a lot of recruiting to be done, and Brew has been known to pull some last-minute surprises out of his hat. For instance, if Henderson were to commit here, I have to assume that class would shoot up to the top 3rd of the conference, and top 25 overall. (For the record, I don't think he will end up here, but the possibility is still there.)

btw, rivals currently has our 2010 class ranked 30th overall, within 6 spots of both Iowa and Michigan State, so the difference between 6th and 4th in the conference is pretty slim. (Though that is with a relatively large number of commits already).

....and I've got to add, before Brewster, a top 30 in the nation class would have been a cause for celebration and was, probably, rarely if ever approached. (I don't have the old rankings in front of me). That we're capable of being disappointed with this class speaks volumes about how far our recruiting has come in the last few years.

While I think he has done a good job at recruiting it appears that he is starting to fall farther down the rankings in relation to his Big 10 counterparts year after year in recruiting. Add to the fact that those teams in front of Minnesota in recruiting are largely thought to have better coaching than us and that is worrisome. It is hard to win and move into the upper echelon of the Big 10 when there are 3-6 teams with better talent and coaching in front of you. Here is where Minnesota has ranked according to Rivals in relation to the rest of the Big 10. I purposely left off the 2007 class since he was not here for all of that recruiting period. I also included average stars per player because it accounts for the differences in class sizes. I am afraid that unless he reversed this trend soon or suddenly becomes a superior coach to the coaches in front of him that we are looking at a perennial middle of the conference team.

I agree with RedPoo that the average stars is a much better indicator of quality. Thus if Brewster holds even at 7 for this year, he would rank 4.7 in the Big 10. Assuming that Ohio St., Penn St. and Michigan are traditionally 1-3, that essentially means that just one other team outside of those three did better then we did. That's phenomenal for where we're at. I don't expect he can maintain that average because it's ridiculous and we'll slide until we get some good senior classes and start winning. Did you expect a third year head coach would be a much better coach then most of the other Big 10 coaches (who are pretty good in general). Brewster is holding his own in the W-L column compared to what he has for talent. Previous threads have supported that.

Maybe my patience and optimism is wrong, maybe we should run Brewster out right now. Maybe it's a good idea to give every new coach 2 1/2 years and if he doesn't finish in the three in the Big 10 we run him and bring another coach in. That's a great method for rebuilding a program. I think it would be even a better idea to always hire a good recruiter who has never coached before and judge him before he has his own class of juniors.

An even better idea would be to hire someone who has coached before, knows what they want to accomplish and isn't still in year one during his third year of coaching, but that boat has sailed.

We are in the position we are in, and barring a loss to SDSU, firing him this year would be a mistake at this point. An incentive laden contract extension that includes no buy out for the additional years, keeping a staff in place for more than one season, a minimum number of wins (say 8) in his final year of the original contract (assuming we're actually competitive in three phases of the game next year and have at least one trophy in the case by the end of 2010) or he's gone.

Why? Because you invest in the program, not the coach. Brewster has been a bad hire in my opinion, but he shouldn't be fired at this point because Maturi made a bad hire, it wasn't his fault for wanting the job.

However, if Maturi is going to cut off his wings for two years by not giving him an extension, just fire him now vs. hurting the program. It's one thing if Brewster continues to fail on his own. It's quite another to have significant improvement demanded while your boss pulls the rug out from underneath you.

He may be able to recruit but he CANNOT coach. In 3 years, not one upset or major victory (wait, I forgot about that Miami of Ohio win). We can't play Gray, whom he raves about and Mona raves about, because you can't expose a freshman to such pressure. Yet he did that with Weber. Then his great qb goes downhill from last year. His offense is offensive. His defense is great until 3rd down. He's full of hot air that really gets old, a superlative with each sentence. It's time for a change. Let's get rid of our habit of hiring lousy coaches (except Holtz) since Warmath. Bring in a Tubby type now.

"....and I've got to add, before Brewster, a top 30 in the nation class would have been a cause for celebration and was, probably, rarely if ever approached. (I don't have the old rankings in front of me). That we're capable of being disappointed with this class speaks volumes about how far our recruiting has come in the last few years."

I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with our class thus far - it's miles ahead of where we were a few years ago.

Top Bottom