Should we be happy with the Meyer to tOSU hire?

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Tweet from guys at ESPN. "Hearing Michigan State commit Se'Von Pittman is leaning toward taking his official visit to #OhioState."

Meyer will hurt recruiting for MSU and Michigan, which at the end of the day may help the Gophers in the Legend's division.

I'm an unabashed fan of Urban Meyer, so I'm really glad he's back in coaching. I would've preferred it had been somewhere outside of the Big Ten, but I don't think he makes OSU any more powerful than Tressel already did.

The only hires that I really care about are those that involve the Gophers. I may be interested in who gets hired for other jobs, but it's not going to make me happy or unhappy.

Agree with dpodoll. Ohio State was a power before Meyer got there and chances are they will remain a power with him in charge. There are only 25 scholarships in a given year so yeah it might sway 1 or 2 guys but in the end the recruiting will shake out basically the same for OSU, Mich, MSU, PSU. I don't think the occasional player or two going to OSU instead of one of the Legends schools will have all that big of an impact on us one way or another.

If nothing else it should reduce the number of times we see Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship game, which would be a good thing in my book.

Well, I dislike it because Meyer is a proven coach at the highest levels of college football. If you had to name the top college coaches it's him, Saban, Les Miles and that's about it on that level. So it does make OSU better - though I do agree that Tressel already had them at about as high of a level as they could be. But even if Tressel did, we could've hoped that they'd have hired a dud to make it easier to beat them. Though now that they're in the other division, it doesn't matter as much for us. And on that note, if it means they're more likely to beat Wisconsin, well, at least that's good.

One note on how it affects other teams. I heard this 3rd hand (my brother-in-law is good friends with a few Wisconsin assistants), so now you've got it 4th-hand, but he said that OSU would steer a lot of guys that they liked but didn't have room for to MichSt because 1. Tressel & Dantonio had a good relationship and 2. so they wouldn't go to Michigan. So presumably now with Meyer there this may happen less, and hurt Mich State slightly.

I'm an unabashed fan of Urban Meyer, so I'm really glad he's back in coaching. I would've preferred it had been somewhere outside of the Big Ten, but I don't think he makes OSU any more powerful than Tressel already did.

Same feeling here.

I'm in the same boat as Dpodoll and 50Pounder..

Top Bottom