Should Players Receive an Extra Year of Eligibilty?

WAGopher

Reaction score
I think all players on teams that aren’t playing this year should receive an extra year of eligibility. I realize this creates a conflict with scholarship limits, which poses other questions. Also, incoming freshman scholarships could be affected too.

A solution would be to grant the players an extra year of eligibility, but not requiring teams to keep them past the current play 4 in 5 years standard. When players have used up their standard eligibility, and wanted to exercise their extra year, they could make a request to their team and/or enter the transfer portal.

Not all players may find a team, but it gives them a future option and may help ease any concerns they and their families may now have.

I know let’s go ahead and offer scholarships. Oh wait a minute, we’re broke.

I think all players on teams that aren’t playing this year should receive an extra year of eligibility. I realize this creates a conflict with scholarship limits, which poses other questions. Also, incoming freshman scholarships could be affected too.

A solution would be to grant the players an extra year of eligibility, but not requiring teams to keep them past the current play 4 in 5 years standard. When players have used up their standard eligibility, and wanted to exercise their extra year, they could make a request to their team and/or enter the transfer portal.

Not all players may find a team, but it gives them a future option and may help ease any concerns they and their families may now have.
Good idea

maybe they’ll do something like what You suggested

This rule is absolutely absurd for any player that is able to participate in a full fall season that is reasonably close to what a regular season would be, this fall.

I vote that if a player participates this fall in 75% or more matches (where participate means any amount of competition in the match) relative to what a normal fall would be, then they are not eligible for the rule.

Why in the hell should a senior this fall at an SEC school, get to have a 5th season/6th year after playing 10-13 games this fall??? Makes zero sense.

Top Bottom