Shooter with details on how the Fleck deal came together

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

The University of Minnesota used a search firm, Atlanta-based Parker Executive Search, as well as local committees to assist then-athletics director Joel Maturi in hiring football coaches Tim Brewster and Jerry Kill. The national firm and a local committee also were employed in hiring then-Gophers athletics director Norwood Teague.

But for the University’s most recent football coach selection, P.J. Fleck from Western Michigan, no search firm was hired and no outside committee was used.

The group used to identify and hire Fleck was comprised of university President Eric Kaler and Gophers athletics administrators Mark Coyle, John Cunningham, Rhonda McFarland and Julie Manning.

“I’ve done these three searches, and I’ve never used a search firm,” first-year Gophers athletics director Mark Coyle said Friday.

At Gibsons on Wednesday, Minnesota’s party of five interviewed Fleck in a private room and left without making an offer. During the interview, Harlan and Fleck’s wife, Heather, waited in an adjacent room.

On Thursday, contract talks began. Negotiation went back and forth on a few issues but went smoothly. Fleck’s deal, which is worth nearly $18.5 million over five years, is nearly identical to that of new Purdue coach Jeff Brohm, except that Brohm got an extra year.

If Fleck were to leave before the end of the contract, he would have to pay the University an amount equal to the guaranteed base salary ($1 million) for each of the remaining years on the contract and would have to notify and receive consent from the athletics director.

Fleck’s contract is expected to include a myriad of incentives that, if fully achieved, could make it worth more than $4 million annually.

Fleck can thank dramatically increased revenues from the Big Ten Network for his eye-opening deals. The Gophers’ share of conference media revenue should exceed $40 million this year.

Fleck’s incentives include bonuses for achieving academic and athletic goals. He’ll receive moving expenses, an automobile and the right to operate summer football camps.

Harlan, incidentally, is the brother of noted NFL and NBA broadcaster Kevin Harlan, who wrote the book on play-by-play announcing and whose father is former Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame CEO Bob Harlan.

Bryan Harlan also represents Northwestern football coach Pat Fitzgerald, as well as Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh.

Insiders say two major University of Minnesota donors demanded to administrators that Tracy Claeys be fired as football coach.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/0...d-coyle-landed-p-j-fleck-without-search-firm/

Go Gophers!!

But does he have a dog and how much will that cost to ship? :rolleyes:

Story has a whole. Harlan has no intro prior to hanging with Heather.

Story has a whole. Harlan has no intro prior to hanging with Heather.

I couldn't figure it out. I read it quickly and I thought he was talking about the Boise St. coach and I thought, only the U would do interviews like they were parent teacher conferences.

Huh....a Shooter column that seemingly makes sense.

If the below is true, it must be pretty easy to figure out the donors. Corporate, I presume.

Insiders say two major University of Minnesota donors demanded to administrators that Tracy Claeys be fired as football coach.

Huh....a Shooter column that seemingly makes sense.

If the below is true, it must be pretty easy to figure out the donors. Corporate, I presume.

Might be true.
Hard to donate money to a football complex for a football team when the national perception is what it is about the case and you have to sell to a national market.

In Fleck, the Gophers hired what one former coach and current NFL player agent described as “a little of Lou Holtz, Jim Wacker and Tim Brewster” rolled into one and said Fleck is a “great, great, great” recruiter who players “love and respond to.”

Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

Big thing with the incentives that I'd like to know is how much do wins over Wisconsin, Iowa, and / or Michigan get Coach Fleck. Probably nothing ...... however.....I would have loved to read.......if he beats IOWA..or if he beats WISCONSIN then Coach receives $x amount.

Big thing with the incentives that I'd like to know is how much do wins over Wisconsin, Iowa, and / or Michigan get Coach Fleck. Probably nothing ...... however.....I would have loved to read.......if he beats IOWA..or if he beats WISCONSIN then Coach receives $x amount.

I actually think Iowa and Wisconsin could effectively use that against us in recruiting

In Fleck, the Gophers hired what one former coach and current NFL player agent described as “a little of Lou Holtz, Jim Wacker and Tim Brewster” rolled into one and said Fleck is a “great, great, great” recruiter who players “love and respond to.”

Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

Not great.....ELITE.

I actually think Iowa and Wisconsin could effectively use that against us in recruiting

It's Bulletin Board Material!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, I used to deal with Bryan Harlan from 88-92 when I was covering the Chicago Bears training camp at UW-Platteville (was working for Platteville radio station at the time). Harlan was working in the Bears' PR department, dealing with the media. Nice guy. I'm sure he wouldn't remember me from Adam - had to deal with a lot of media, and I was a little fish compared to the bigger Chicago media who covered the team year-round. I only covered them for a few weeks at training camp. (could tell a few interesting Mike Ditka stories if I could figure out how to clean up the language)

It's Bulletin Board Material!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not that. More because we are measuring ourselves to them, admitting they are better than us.
It should be an expectation to beat rivals with regularity, not some kind of bonus.

I can't wait for the player lawsuits when all these nice folks will have to testify under oath about when Harlan was first contacted by Coyle, who the boosters were that demanded Claeys be fired and all the emails and phone calls between Coyle, Kaler, Boosters and Regents.

What I suspect will happen is the U's lawyers will tell the U to settle and get non-disclosures and we will only know how much they paid to make it all go away. Maybe we will finally find out who leaked the report to the papers...hope it comes back on Coyle...great way to get his ass fired.

But what we really need to know:
Is there an "Oregon clause" in his contract???

per Shooter:

The University of Minnesota used a search firm, Atlanta-based Parker Executive Search, as well as local committees to assist then-athletics director Joel Maturi in hiring football coaches Tim Brewster and Jerry Kill. The national firm and a local committee also were employed in hiring then-Gophers athletics director Norwood Teague.

But for the University’s most recent football coach selection, P.J. Fleck from Western Michigan, no search firm was hired and no outside committee was used.

The group used to identify and hire Fleck was comprised of university President Eric Kaler and Gophers athletics administrators Mark Coyle, John Cunningham, Rhonda McFarland and Julie Manning.

“I’ve done these three searches, and I’ve never used a search firm,” first-year Gophers athletics director Mark Coyle said Friday.

This enough makes me see that Coyle gets it.

Contrary to all the negative posts by people who 1) don't know what a AD does; 2) have no idea of the details of what was going on during Porkgate; 3) don't understand how difficult it is to navigate within a large organization; and 4) don't have to deal with a substandard media, Coyle has done a really good job over the last 8 months. He's had a true trial by fire. Try handling the byzantine rules, regulations, and political structure of one of the largest organizations. A little more difficult than driving a truck.

Top Bottom