Shooter: U admin made a monumental mistake not finding suitable role for O'Brien

I thought it was established that O'Brien was staying on in the athletics department. When did this happen?

per Shooter:

Gophers administrators made a monumental mistake by not finding an acceptable position for ex-football assistant Dan O’Brien, who is well-connected within the state.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/2...a-lot-of-credit-to-wild-coach-bruce-boudreau/

Go Gophers!!

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but he also mentioned that PJ Fleck told the Seniors this wasn't a rebuild and they'd work off of last season. Guess no one told Fleck 6 wins was reasonable next year and not to expect too much.

I like the way he thinks. It may not work out, but dammit at least he's not ready to throw in the towel on next season, like some of the fans here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but he also mentioned that PJ Fleck told the Seniors this wasn't a rebuild and they'd work off of last season. Guess no one told Fleck 6 wins was reasonable next year and not to expect too much.

I like the way he thinks. It may not work out, but dammit at least he's not ready to throw in the towel on next season, like some of the fans here.

I agree with PJF. Funny his biggest supporters don't.

I thought I had read previously somewhere that both O'Brien and Sherels were staying on (I guess it could have been Doogie, so my mistake if it was). That said it does seem like a mistake to not have someone on the staff that is well connected in the state. It doesn't matter to me, but I am concerned that PJ's personality will rub a lot of people the wrong way especially if he doesn't have success early. It's a little thing, but Jim Petersen (Wolves broadcaster) was already kind of negative on PJ in regards to his schtick on a recent broadcast. I think it would help him to have a more typical Minnesotan on staff who might be able to advocate for him to reach people who might be a turned off by him. I think it sucks that a consideration like that would need to be made, but I think it might need to be in Minnesota. I realize they have Coach Simon for the "one of us" angle but he hasn't been around like a Sherels or O'Brien.

As for building on last year? I hope they do, I just won't expect it.

I thought I had read previously somewhere that both O'Brien and Sherels were staying on (I guess it could have been Doogie, so my mistake if it was). That said it does seem like a mistake to not have someone on the staff that is well connected in the state. It doesn't matter to me, but I am concerned that PJ's personality will rub a lot of people the wrong way especially if he doesn't have success early. It's a little thing, but Jim Petersen (Wolves broadcaster) was already kind of negative on PJ in regards to his schtick on a recent broadcast. I think it would help him to have a more typical Minnesotan on staff who might be able to advocate for him to reach people who might be a turned off by him. I think it sucks that a consideration like that would need to be made, but I think it might need to be in Minnesota. I realize they have Coach Simon for the "one of us" angle but he hasn't been around like a Sherels or O'Brien.

As for building on last year? I hope they do, I just won't expect it.

Sherels and O'Brien were kept on to help with the transition, and many assumed (or hoped) that meant they would have permanent jobs. Sherels may still have a chance if the NCAA allows schools to have a 10th assistant this spring.

Top Bottom