Shooter: Tubby to get 5 year extension worth $10MM within days

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I guess the "stalemate" Shooter proclaimed this morning is no longer. Per Shooter:

"Don't be surprised if University of Minnesota men's basketball coach Tubby Smith, within days, agrees to a five-year contract extension through 2018. The extension is expected to be worth at least $10 million total for Smith, 60."

http://www.twincities.com/ci_19104732

Go Gophers!!

I like it! Tubby has taken some criticism for his coaching last year (and I agree) when moving Blake to the point after injuries, but I think you will see a much different team this year assuming everyone stays healthy. We have depth, athleticism and size, hopefully those freshman will grow up fast.

Doogie tweet: "Maturi on if Shooter's report that Tubby is days from signing a 5-year/$10M extension is correct: "Not to my knowledge."

"But the negotiations w/ Tubby have been going on for so long, it's hard to see how it's wrong."

Go Gophers!!

Get out of the way, Joel's really on the move now. Swift like a cobra.

So what your are saying howeda7, is that Joel really does not know because he is not informed about it from his new boss; or at least you hope that is the case and it is a sign of something soon to come?

Could it be that Kill and Tubby are now going straight to Mr. Kaler?

"Hi Joel. Sorry but I can't talk right now. I'm on my way to see Mr. Kaler."

So what your are saying howeda7, is that Joel really does not know because he is not informed about it from his new boss; or at least you hope that is the case and it is a sign of something soon to come?

I hope this is the case. Either way it's pathetic. I recall Tubby and Jamie Dixon both being rumored for the Oregon job in April 2010. Immediately both Pitt and MN began discussing contract extensions. IIRC, Dixon got his within a week. Tubby...well it's October 14 2011...

Why?

Why would you reward a coach who is paid at an elite level but has produced average to slightly above average results with even greater compensation and job security? I don't think that he should be fired, but $10M for 5 more years when he hasn't produced a top four finish in the B10 (with no recruiting hindrances)? Crazy.

As a long time season ticket holder the extra $800 that I will be "asked" to pay to keep my seats for the 2012-2013 season will essentially go towards Tubby's contract. Like most other ticket holders, I have a couple of very nice spots at home from which to watch the gophers play the hyphenateds and it won't be too tough to get tix for the five or six worthwhile games a year. I think the Athletic Dept. is making a couple of miscalculations on the basketball front.

Why would you reward a coach who is paid at an elite level but has produced average to slightly above average results with even greater compensation and job security? I don't think that he should be fired, but $10M for 5 more years when he hasn't produced a top four finish in the B10 (with no recruiting hindrances)? Crazy.

As a long time season ticket holder the extra $800 that I will be "asked" to pay to keep my seats for the 2012-2013 season will essentially go towards Tubby's contract. Like most other ticket holders, I have a couple of very nice spots at home from which to watch the gophers play the hyphenateds and it won't be too tough to get tix for the five or six worthwhile games a year. I think the Athletic Dept. is making a couple of miscalculations on the basketball front.

Having a coach locked up for a long time is crucial for recruiting. Player's are going to be hesitant to commit somewhere if they feel that the current coach won't be there once they're on the team. The class of 2014 in the state of Minnesota is likely the best it has ever been. Certainly in my lifetime at least. Getting commitments from players like Tyus and/or Rashad would be huge for the program. Not being able to assure those players that Tubby would be here for their whole college career would make it significantly more difficult to get a commitment from them. If we got those guys and they stay 4 years they would be here until 2018, same year Tubby's contract goes up to. Doubtful that that's a coincidence.

Great. There will be fans who support the team in the barn. People like you should watch the games from home.

Go Gophers

Having a coach locked up for a long time is crucial for recruiting. Player's are going to be hesitant to commit somewhere if they feel that the current coach won't be there once they're on the team. The class of 2014 in the state of Minnesota is likely the best it has ever been. Certainly in my lifetime at least. Getting commitments from players like Tyus and/or Rashad would be huge for the program. Not being able to assure those players that Tubby would be here for their whole college career would make it significantly more difficult to get a commitment from them. If we got those guys and they stay 4 years they would be here until 2018, same year Tubby's contract goes up to. Doubtful that that's a coincidence.

I fully understand that and I recognize how the recruiting game is played, but I don't think that Tubby has earned that kind of extension, nor do I think that he has the leverage to get that kind of extension. I would prefer that the university wait another year and then decide what it is going to do. By then a new AD will be in place. Waiting another year will still give the U time with the class of 2014. (We don't know what their relationship is with Tubby and $10M is an awful lot to gamble that he can sign kids in what is a very fickle business.) Even if the gophers have a terrific season, nobody else is going to give Tubby a 5 year $10M contract at this point in his career. Tubby has been very well compensated, treated very fairly and I don't know why the U needs to negotiate with itself.

Great. There will be fans who support the team in the barn. People like you should watch the games from home.

Go Gophers

It would be nice to see the university show some appreciation to the loyal customers who have stayed with them for a long time. Scheduling worthwhile games, as the football program now does, would be a start.

Yes, you have the right to whine, but either keep your seats and pay extra or don't. And if you keep your seats, your whining proves pointless, and if you don't you've at least taken a stand, but it is ultimately your choice to not have tickets.

Playing in a major conference the goal is to win as many games as possible. We see so much complaining about the schedule but lets face it we need to get wins and as many as possible. Scheduling a bunch of great teams one after another doesnt help you get to the Dance unless you win games. The Gophers don't have the talent and have not to play schedules like we have seen out of Michigan State the last several years. The team needs to be tested to be ready for the Big Ten schedule but they usually get that out of the schedule with the tournaments early in the season and a few of the non conference opponents.

I would think most season ticket holders have their tickets for the Ohio States, Purdue, Indiana, and the rest of the Big Ten games not the non-conference games.

if this is true Tubby Smith has done nothing at Minnesota to earn this type of extension.

his 5th year here and never better than a .500 record in the B1G and the team is picked to finish once again in the bottom half of the league.

if this is true Tubby Smith has done nothing at Minnesota to earn this type of extension.

his 5th year here and never better than a .500 record in the B1G and the team is picked to finish once again in the bottom half of the league.

His tenure has been frustrating, but let's not pretend there's some superior alternative walking through the door. The best-case for all involved is Tubby to stay 4-5 more years, win at a Sweet-16 type level and leave a good job for the next person. Not bicker with our esteemed leader, leave after this year and be replaced by Flip Saunders who hasn't coached college basketball in 30 years.

Yes, you have the right to whine, but either keep your seats and pay extra or don't. And if you keep your seats, your whining proves pointless, and if you don't you've at least taken a stand, but it is ultimately your choice to not have tickets.

Thanks for the insight.

His tenure has been frustrating, but let's not pretend there's some superior alternative walking through the door. The best-case for all involved is Tubby to stay 4-5 more years, win at a Sweet-16 type level and leave a good job for the next person. Not bicker with our esteemed leader, leave after this year and be replaced by Flip Saunders who hasn't coached college basketball in 30 years.

not saying he should be ran out of town or not given an extension just questioning that his results so far do not IMO equal this type of commitment.

not saying he should be ran out of town or not given an extension just questioning that his results so far do not IMO equal this type of commitment.

His prior deal was 7 years, $1.8 million/year. He's in year 5. They're talking about extending by the same 5 years at $2million/year. There's nothing earth-shattering about this at all.

Top Bottom