Shooter: There’s buzz that the University of St. Thomas ultimately could end up in the Big East Conference.

They will have their hands full competing with the Dakotas. Lot of bball pride in those schools and they recruit 2* type players from the cities and MN every year. Summit is run out of Sioux Falls and that city has the bball tourny on lockdown, with awesome new facilities. And it's a one bid league, even if you win high 20's games in the season, you gotta win the tourny.

That said, it's not like DePaul was burning up the CUSA (though they happened to have a nice year in 2003-04, maybe at the perfect timing). So the Big East is aware of market potential.

????

We have a winner!!!!!

Everyone. There is ZERO percent chance the Big East expands in the next 10-12 years PERIOD.

Not only does it place Top 3 pretty much every year already, it will be moving to a 20 game double round robin schedule (UConn addition) and the next media deal will be another 10 years with Fox.

Honestly, outside of Notre Dame, the list of schools that would even get a mention at a meeting is effectively none.

Christ, Dayton has absolutely no chance. Some random new entrant to college basketball may as well just play Powerball.

Mankato joining the Big Ten makes as much sense. This is the dumbest topic in the history of the board.

Last edited:

Everyone. There is ZERO percent chance the Big East expands in the next 10-12 years PERIOD.

Not only does it place Top 3 pretty much every year already, it will be moving to a 20 game double round robin schedule (UConn addition) and the next media deal will be another 10 years with Fox.

Honestly, outside of Notre Dame, the list of schools that would even get a mention at a meeting is effectively none.

Christ, Dayton has absolutely no chance. Some random new entrant to college basketball may as well just play Powerball.

Mankato joining the Big Ten makes as much sense. This is the dumbest topic in the history of the board.
You should probably google the definition of the word "ultimately". It is in the thread title.

10 years would give UST plenty of time to see what it can do in the Summit, see what kind of facilities it can fundraise for, see what kind of fan support it can stir up for Summit games (where ideally less than half the fans would be wearing Dakota gear).

Market-wise, there probably isn't a bigger Catholic market left for the Big East, for states on the Mississippi or east of it, than St Paul and its metro area. St Louis would be another good one.

https://www.startribune.com/st-thom...being-considered-by-ncaa-this-week/571252902/

After a two-month delay, St. Thomas expects to learn this week whether it can proceed with its plans to become a Division I program.

A proposal to allow the move is on the agenda for the NCAA’s Division I Council meetings Tuesday and Wednesday. The 40-member council, comprised of representatives from D-I schools and conferences, is expected to vote on whether to let Division III schools reclassify directly to D-I.

St. Thomas hoped to get an answer in April, but the decision was delayed while the council focused on addressing the pandemic.

The Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference voted 13 months ago to eject the Tommies following the 2020-21 season. If St. Thomas is allowed to go directly to D-I, it would become a member of the Summit League in most sports.

Saw the NCAA DI council tabled the vote today, won’t vote until next year.

But they said UST can apply for a waiver now.

Saw the NCAA DI council tabled the vote today, won’t vote until next year.

But they said UST can apply for a waiver now.
They've been doing that a lot lately. Is the Wheel of Random Decisions broken?

Yeah...

Well anyway, UST will be allowed to move to DI. Done deal. The Summit League approved their membership without even seeing a waiver.

Should the Gophers schedule UST yearly?

It is probably a NET killer the first few years, but since there are no travel costs, the guarantee might be a little lower, plus it might draw a better crowd than Minnesota vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

It is probably a NET killer the first few years, but since there are no travel costs, the guarantee might be a little lower, plus it might draw a better crowd than Minnesota vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
I would guess the Gophs already have been scheduling a Summit League team yearly? I saw North Dakota this coming season.

Finally a D1 school in MN that won't be full of scary 'city' kids. It's about time!

I think it’d be cool to do something like Iowa and Indiana do where you get schools together.

Triple header at Us Bank stadium with all 4 dakotas, Minnesota, and UST.

do it every year as a summit conference opener for 4 teams and a non conference game for two teams. Would draw a big regional crowd. Would be good for the state.
Year 1
USD vs UND
SDSU vs NDSU
UST vs MN

year 2
UST vs UND
USD vs NDSU
SDSU vs MN

I think Iowa does it with Iowa, Iowa State, drake, northern Iowa

I think Iranian does it with Notre Dame, butler, Indiana, and purdue

the Minnesota one wouldn’t be as big name as those two but it is an event I would likely attend every other year

I think it’d be cool to do something like Iowa and Indiana do where you get schools together.

Triple header at Us Bank stadium with all 4 dakotas, Minnesota, and UST.

do it every year as a summit conference opener for 4 teams and a non conference game for two teams. Would draw a big regional crowd. Would be good for the state.
Year 1
USD vs UND
SDSU vs NDSU
UST vs MN

year 2
UST vs UND
USD vs NDSU
SDSU vs MN

I think Iranian does it with Notre Dame, butler, Indiana, and purdue

the Minnesota one wouldn’t be as big name as those two but it is an event I would likely attend every other year
Sanford would want that at the new Sioux Falls arena. :cautious:

The Big Four Classic was nixed last season, mostly because Iowa didn't want to do it anymore with the Big Ten's move to 20 conference games. Too bad, that was always a good event.

I don’t mind playing there for a Sioux Falls neutral site game against a power 6 team.
Yeah exactly! If those teams dont want to come to us bank stadium for the triple header then we'll get someone else!

Top Bottom