Shooter: The time frame now to name a permanent AD is mid-summer.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

The University of Minnesota will take proposals from national executive search firms to research and recommend a permanent Gophers athletics director.

There has been a significant amount of interest from Minnesota alumni, including former athletes, to be on a local search committee. President Eric Kaler is working with people to narrow that list to about a dozen. No names have been decided on yet.

The university is not expected to hire Atlanta-based Parker Executive Search, which it had used to find ex-AD Norwood Teague.

The time frame now to name a permanent AD is mid-summer.

Former Gophers football star Jim Carter from South St. Paul, concerned that his alma mater no longer is a distinctive brand, has been nominated for the vacant athletics director job by fellow “M” men.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/05/charley-walters-vikings-facing-big-decisions-this-week/

Go Gophers!!

The salient point is that the U will not name a permanent AD until mid-summer - meaning that Pitino's job is safe for next year, unless another (really big) shoe drops.

So, whether the next AD is Goetz, Carter, Najarian or Elmer Fudd, that person will have next season to evaluate the Gopher BB program and decide whether Pitino is the right guy long-term.

Like it or not, Pitino is coaching for his job next season. The question is - how much progress does the program have to show for Pitino to be "safe" through the length of his contract? That's a question that only the new AD can answer.

Like it or not, Pitino is coaching for his job next season. The question is - how much progress does the program have to show for Pitino to be "safe" through the length of his contract? That's a question that only the new AD can answer.

Therein lies the perpetual issue this program faces. We now head into the heart of the 2017 recruiting season (spring evaluation followed up by early summer AAU) with a staff "coaching for their jobs" and that will likely impact recruiting, drive the media narrative, impact fan and booster interest, potentially impact ticket renewals, etc. It sucks for us fans as these situations can have a multi-year impact far beyond the coach's destiny. Given our situation, the staff will likely fill scholarships that come open this spring with 2016 recruits because the staff needs as much fire power as they can get next year. That often leas to reaching for recruits in the spring, not having enough for the solid in-state 2017 recruiting class and if the staff doesn't turn things around, it doesn't help the next staff and the cycle continues. Obviously the ideal situation is just to win and everything takes care of itself, but until that happens, we start the slow process of circling the drain. I remain hopeful as I saw enough good things this season to give me significant hope, but it seems like our "base" of hard core fans gets less and less each time we start over as a program.

Go Gophers!!

The salient point is that the U will not name a permanent AD until mid-summer - meaning that Pitino's job is safe for next year, unless another (really big) shoe drops.

So, whether the next AD is Goetz, Carter, Najarian or Elmer Fudd, that person will have next season to evaluate the Gopher BB program and decide whether Pitino is the right guy long-term.

I think depending on if the three guys come back, there is a good chance Pitino will be back for a 5th year. If next years recruiting class is as good as we think it will be, and I think Coffey will be very good, and he has another good class coming in...even I would be willing to give him another year. I know we only have one scholarship available the following year, but I expect to have more scholarships available when it gets down to it. For me, next year doesn't have to be a tournament team....just show promise and don't have any stupid off court problems. Now what is promise....I think we will know when we see it...and that will be to the new AD to decide. Even though this year was brutal, they did start to show promise at the end of the year....at least until the off court problems hit.

Teague resigned Aug 7 and Goetz was named interim that same day. Assuming mid-summer is the middle of July, it will have been nearly a year before a permanent AD was named. Even for the U that lack of urgency staggers me.

Teague resigned Aug 7 and Goetz was named interim that same day. Assuming mid-summer is the middle of July, it will have been nearly a year before a permanent AD was named. Even for the U that lack of urgency staggers me.

Lack of urgency - or lack of competency? I'm afraid it could be the latter instead of the former.

It is fear of failure. Another Teague and Kaler's job is in doubt.
One can only hope for a WI redux; Shlala takes the job recognizes the importance of athletics, fires the AD, hires Richter who hires BA.
The crucial point is DS came from a school that competed in athletics at the intermural level yet she saw the light.
Does Kaler?

Top Bottom