Shooter: Look for a Gopher QB to transfer, some to change positions

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Shooter: "Look for one Gophers quarterback to transfer at the end of the school year. That would leave seven QBs either already in the program or committed to Minnesota, and some are expected to make position changes."

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_19570853

Go Gophers!!

Alipate certainly appears to be a fish out of water under the Kill regime.

I think it was Parrish that already has been mentioned as transferring.

I would agree that Parrish would seem like the most likely bet to transfer though it would not surprise me to see both him and Alipate leave. That is assuming Moses really wants to play football, if he doesn't have the desire to play somewhere else he could just ride out his scholarship here as a backup.

Nice note in the story about Jon Hoese getting a shot with the Packers on the practice squad. Would love to see things work out for him. Have met him on a few occasions and he has always come across as a great kid. After all the stuff with his dad passing away it would be great to see him get a shot in the NFL even if it is with the Packers.

Parrish is a hard worker and actually has real talent, I just don't think he is big enough to run much in the BigTen. I hope he does really well wherever he goes.

Gray and Shortell next year - Shortell and Nelson the following. I think the rest of the guys are screwed as far as ever starting at the U w/o the three going down to injuries.

Really Shooter, we're not going to keep seven players at QB? I'm shocked!

This is a dumb question for most who follow prep football in the metro but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Who is the Alipate that's playing at Holy Angels? Is he related to Moses? I noticed him doing a Rivals search of in-state recruits, is he somebody that we're likely going to offer?

Aside from the possible implications with the younger Alipate, I don't know that I'd lose any sleep if both Alipate and Parish left the program to free up a couple of scholarships.

This is a dumb question for most who follow prep football in the metro but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Who is the Alipate that's playing at Holy Angels? Is he related to Moses? I noticed him doing a Rivals search of in-state recruits, is he somebody that we're likely going to offer?

Aside from the possible implications with the younger Alipate, I don't know that I'd lose any sleep if both Alipate and Parish left the program to free up a couple of scholarships.

Mikias Alipate, he's the younger brother of Moses (and Marcus). I don't think he played last year due to transfer issues.

I would be interested to see the source for this...

My bad...I think his name was Pride...the QB they signed at the time they were trying to get Henderson. Looked at one roster and noticed he was no longer listed.

With scholarships renewable on an annual basis I assume position changes aren't always left to the discretion of the player. Anyone know how this works in practice?

With scholarships renewable on an annual basis I assume position changes aren't always left to the discretion of the player. Anyone know how this works in practice?
Totally depends on the coach and the program. You're correct that scholarships are renewable, and in SEC programs in particular, players are basically cut quite frequently.

The Big Ten has shied away from that so far (at least publicly), but Kill seems pretty cutthroat about scholarships for prospects, so ya never know what goes on behind the scenes.

Totally depends on the coach and the program. You're correct that scholarships are renewable, and in SEC programs in particular, players are basically cut quite frequently.

The Big Ten has shied away from that so far (at least publicly), but Kill seems pretty cutthroat about scholarships for prospects, so ya never know what goes on behind the scenes.

They "cut" kids in the big ten, they are just more smooth about it. First you move the kid to the bottom of the depth chart. Then you berate and ridicule him. The when he commits an infrastructure, even a small one that just about everyone on he team has broken, you dismiss him from the team for conduct detrimental to the team.

They "cut" kids in the big ten, they are just more smooth about it. First you move the kid to the bottom of the depth chart. Then you berate and ridicule him. The when he commits an infrastructure, even a small one that just about everyone on he team has broken, you dismiss him from the team for conduct detrimental to the team.
Just because Brett Bielema at Wisconsin, does things like that, it doesn't mean other coaches do. It's not by accident that the kids know were they'll transfer too. Coaches will call players in, explain the depth situation, and are given a choice of spending the rest of their career on the scout team, or transferring, and oh, I just happen have a list of coaches that might be interested, with phone numbers.

That's the way...of the world...of NCAA college revenue sports. The damn coaches sometimes like kids better when they are recruiting the players than when the players actually show up and be who they are, how they are and all of a sudden it becomes less obvious WHY that damn coach was spending so much time, effort and major butt-kissing recruiting the "highly regarded" kid.

You just NEVER know just what the damn coaches will find out once they have the recruits on their team. The recruiting process is pretty flawed in that regard.

Note to the kids being recruited: once the damn coach has recruited you...IF you don't live up to that coache's expectations...that coach won't be showing you "the love" that he did when he was in full-scale-recruiting-mode. After the damn coache's thrill of victory in recruiting you has subsided, you had better darn well live up to all the hype that has been assigned to you....by everyone. Once you arrive on campus...it's SHOW TIME and all of your talent, effort, skills and "can't miss" attributes had better be "for real..." or you might get pushed right out the door.

This college football and college hoops stuff on the d-1 level is ALL about producing, showing up and always being GOOD. Multi-million dollar coaches jobs depend upon just how much each and every scholarship player can contribute to WINNING football games. There are 85 guys with scholarships...you had BETTER keep yourself in the TOP 70 if you want to stick around...

At programs at the TOP of the conference, you really need to step it up and keep it stepped up if you want to keep your scholarship. The qb position is notorious for that fact of life at the top of the standigs schools. And, at programs that need to "step it up..." if you are a qb, if you aren't a "savior" or big-time difference-maker...you had better stay in the top 3 on the depth chart...and you had better pick up the system pretty darn fast. That's the way...of the world...of NCAA college revenue sports. By the time a D-1 college has recruited and enrolled a quarterback or any other position player...that program has a LOT of time, effort, and financial resources invested in your SPOT on the depth chart...Be ware: that damn coach and his staff will "vote you off the island..." just as hard as they worked on recruiting you and kissing your butt during the recruiting process IF you aren't producing the way they need you to produce...

; 0 )

Just because Brett Bielema at Wisconsin, does things like that, it doesn't mean other coaches do.

That is precisely what Lou Holtz did to a guy from my high school at Notre Dame.

This more or less covers it. But you overlook the part where they pretend you don't exist, even while somehow still treating you like meat.

It's brutal.

I assume you mean when he builds a sewer system or a highway bridge. He should be spending more time practicing football!

Why you busting Sportsfan24 nutts?

Come on man, everyone knows he wrote infraction, and spell check changed it to infrastructure. Even if not we know what was meant.
It is like this for the players too. Lydon "T!ttie bar" Murtha used his indiscretions at a local establishment and hotel to bail on his Gopher commit.
Still Po'ed at that guy, for getting busted and messing with Gopher recruiting.

Jesus, Shooter is gonna bust this thing wide fvcking open

I assume you mean when he builds a sewer system or a highway bridge. He should be spending more time practicing football!
Maybe he builds a sewer out of lead, showing he didn't learn from the Romans and doesn't deserve his scholarship?

This article will give you insight in what the SEC does in regards to recruiting, scholarships, and cutting.

Top Bottom