Shooter: It will be interesting to see how Teague handles Kill's contract

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

It will be interesting to see how Gophers athletics director Norwood Teague handles Jerry Kill's future salary, which at $2.1 million ranks 10th in the Big Ten, according to CoachesHotSeat.com, although Kill last season was Big Ten football coach of the year. Kill, 53, ranks No. 55 in salary among the nation's college coaches.

T. Denny Sanford, the University of Minnesota grad and philanthropist whom the Gophers have been cultivating for their facilities upgrade, said Saturday that he is a big booster of Kill. But prospects for a major contribution remain undetermined.

"Jerry Kill's the real deal," Sanford said.

http://www.twincities.com/wild/ci_27482418/charley-walters-devan-dubnyk-would-love-stay-wild

Go Gophers!!

I would expect T Denny Sanford will have something to say about the fundraising for the Gophers Facilities.

As a true Gopher fan and booster, I don't think he could afford to stand on the sidelines. Jerry Kill has a clear vision for taking Gopher Football to the next level. We may miss an opportunity timing wise. Potentially, we do not want Kill and company to be poached by someone else.

The facility upgrade is too important a piece of the Gophers success. Most likely than not, we will get to the 80% funding level before too long.

At least, that is what I am hoping for.

I would expect T Denny Sanford will have something to say about the fundraising for the Gophers Facilities.

As a true Gopher fan and booster, I don't think he could afford to stand on the sidelines. Jerry Kill has a clear vision for taking Gopher Football to the next level. We may miss an opportunity timing wise. Potentially, we do not want Kill and company to be poached by someone else.

The facility upgrade is too important a piece of the Gophers success. Most likely than not, we will get to the 80% funding level before too long.

At least, that is what I am hoping for.
I hope you're right. No doubt it would make life easier for Kill.

Kill has to close that deal and get a big chunk from T Denny.

Last year I said there was zero chance Kill would go somewhere else. Now that a year has gone by and apparently he has not had any seizures, he is at least more likely to be considered by other schools (sorry if that's not politically correct but it doesn't make it false). Should he (hopefully) remain seizure free next year as well AND the team continues to improve, then things could get interesting. I still think he's a longshot to leave because I don't see his style being politically popular at anyplace that's much higher profile (fans demand victories now not "Brick by Brick") and I don't think it would fit his personality. But you never know. Some currently lower profile school could get a huge donation from a booster (think Phil Knight w/ Oregon) and try to get their program to the big time and try to scoop him up. It will be interesting to see...

I thought Kill had taken a bit lower salary to give his coaching staff higher salaries than average. If that is true, we should be ranking the entire staff's salary versus other staff's salaries.

Doogie had a nugget on the news last night that the fullcourt press is being applied to Sanford and they are working to get the "call back".

Last year I said there was zero chance Kill would go somewhere else. Now that a year has gone by and apparently he has not had any seizures, he is at least more likely to be considered by other schools (sorry if that's not politically correct but it doesn't make it false). Should he (hopefully) remain seizure free next year as well AND the team continues to improve, then things could get interesting. I still think he's a longshot to leave because I don't see his style being politically popular at anyplace that's much higher profile (fans demand victories now not "Brick by Brick") and I don't think it would fit his personality. But you never know. Some currently lower profile school could get a huge donation from a booster (think Phil Knight w/ Oregon) and try to get their program to the big time and try to scoop him up. It will be interesting to see...

I find this absurd. You're telling me there are programs that don't like their players to go to class, work hard, and improve? There are places, believe it or not, where it wouldn't take 5-7 years to turn around. If he can turn the Gophers into contenders this quickly, he can do it more quickly with better athletes that like to go to those "high profile" places. JK is not satisfied with winning COY awards. He wants to win championships. If Minnesota can't do it's part, I'm confident he will move on. The facility project needs to start this fall.

Good points, but I truly believe his statements about this being his final stop and not putting his wife and coaching staff through another move are true. All head coaches have an extremely competitive edge which is what makes them coaches but Country-Jare seems genuine and not as cutthroat. Keeping the same staff all these years says a lot about his loyalty and patience. There's no way his staff has been perfect the whole time but they've failed and grown together. Maybe a bit euphoric but I can hope.

I'm not sure this would push Jerry up in the rankings, but he does get a 100k raise every year for the life of his contract (2018)

Top Bottom