Shooter: Gophers football team is still in the hunt for at least one bowl game during this COVID-19 season — the Guaranteed Rate Bowl

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Despite its 2-3 record, the Gophers football team is still in the hunt for at least one bowl game during this COVID-19 season — the Guaranteed Rate Bowl on Dec. 26 at Chase Field in Phoenix.

“We’re contracted with the Big Ten and the Big 12,” Bowl chairman Mike Nealy told the Pioneer Press on Friday.

The Gophers are projected to play Kansas State at Chase Field, home of the Arizona Diamondbacks baseball team, by BowlSeason.com. Kansas State (4-4) was to play at Baylor (1-5) on Saturday evening.

“I’d say certainly there’s credibility to it,” Nealy said. “That (Minnesota-Kansas State) very well could be a matchup. As a Minnesotan, I’d love to see that.”

Nealy, 55, who is also CEO of the Fiesta Bowl, is an Alexander Ramsey and University of Minnesota grad. He said it’s too early to say if there’s a frontrunner for the Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

“Games still have to happen — there’s so much that’s going on,” he said.

A lot of Minnesotans winter in the Phoenix area. Although Chase Field’s seating capacity is 48,519, virus protocol probably would limit seating to fewer than 10,000, if at all.

“We don’t know, but we still are hopeful to have some fans there in some capacity,” Nealy said. “We certainly will be on the safe side.”

Go Gophers!!

I wonder what the big ten will do regarding bowls

However, OF COURSE Minnesota is still in the running for bowl chances if bowls happens.
The big ten has 10 tie ins and there are zero win requirements.

If all the bowls happened...10-11 big ten teams would go to a bowl.

How about we worry about the hunt to play another game at all.

How about not worrying, and just enjoying getting to watch any more games that might happen, when they do.

It's a great time of year to catch up on that reading list.

This is hard to imagine right now but any opportunity for more practice time would be a huge bonus.

The Guaranteed Rate bowl, where the interest is sure to be at a record low.

Trump will still be in office in December.. everyone who wants to be vaccinated, will be by Dec. 26. Play the bowl. Extra practice/ competition wii help the Gophers.

I wonder what the big ten will do regarding bowls

However, OF COURSE Minnesota is still in the running for bowl chances if bowls happens.
The big ten has 10 tie ins and there are zero win requirements.

If all the bowls happened...10-11 big ten teams would go to a bowl.

The Big Ten had a bunch of bowl tie-ins, but with the games in NYC, San Fran, and Detroit getting canceled, it's down to:

NYD6/Playoff
Orlando
Tampa
Nashville
Charlotte
Phoenix

Gophers would probably be in the mix for that last spot with a handful of teams. Since fan base won't really be a factor, it'll come down to what draws on TV. If Penn State finishes with wins over Rutgers and Michigan State, I'd bet on their name recognition winning out.

The Big Ten had a bunch of bowl tie-ins, but with the games in NYC, San Fran, and Detroit getting canceled, it's down to:

NYD6/Playoff
Orlando
Tampa
Nashville
Charlotte
Phoenix

Gophers would probably be in the mix for that last spot with a handful of teams. Since fan base won't really be a factor, it'll come down to what draws on TV. If Penn State finishes with wins over Rutgers and Michigan State, I'd bet on their name recognition winning out.
If there were bowls, I think some institutions may choose to not participate this year (both Michigan Schools have admins that didn’t want a season at all)

Top Bottom