Shooter, am I missing something?

BEGopher

Reaction score
This beauty is in Shooters latest column.

Nearly 60 percent of all official Gophers football recruiting visits for the coming season will be made during the first four home games (Air Force, California, Wisconsin and Purdue) at TCF Bank Stadium, when the fall weather is expected to be favorable.

So, the Gophers are cramming 60% of the recruits into just 57% of the home games! They're really trying to hoodwink those recruits. IMHO if a recruit can't figure out that it might get cold in Minnesota, they probably won't qualify for school anyway. Or, maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Good point, "cramming" 60% of something into 57"% of anything else isn't exactly piling it on. Literally, you could argue it the other way... 40% of the official recruiting visits will take place when the fall weather is expected to be unfavorable.

Fall Recruits!

Hey fellas, We can be damn sure that many other schools (michigan,nebraska, wisconsin. iowa) all bring their guys in the "nice weather days" also. They are not exactly living in the tropical weather either.

Go Gophers!!:eek:

Minnesota 38
Syracuse 13

Do you want kids to come here or not? There are challenges and shortcomings to every school. Weather is a factor here, so it's important that recruits know they're not going to be snowed in year round.

Nearly 60 percent of all official Gophers football recruiting visits for the coming season will be made during the first four home games (Air Force, California, Wisconsin and Purdue) at TCF Bank Stadium, when the fall weather is expected to be favorable.

So, the Gophers are cramming 60% of the recruits into just 57% of the home games! They're really trying to hoodwink those recruits. IMHO if a recruit can't figure out that it might get cold in Minnesota, they probably won't qualify for school anyway. Or, maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

:D I said the exact same thing to my wife yesterday morning as I read the paper. 60% of recruits in the first 4 games = 57% of the season. If they spaced it out evenly you'd have the same results. Talk about a worthless quip.

In defense of Shooter, you guys are all suggesting that piling 60% into 57%....etc. Well, that would be assuming that ALL players take ALL official visits on a home game weekend. That is never the case. Most schools (including MN) have many players who wait until the winter months (after the season) to take official visits. Lots of official visits come in December and January for lots of players.

In fact, 7 of our 20 commits last year made their official visits to MN in December or Jan.

So, there is a nugget of interesting info there, in that it appears MN is gearing away from too many December and January visits.

Nothing earth-shattering either way, but there is a distinction to be made. It isn't as simple as 60% into 57%.

You can prove anything with statistics.

25% of all people know that.

Hey Shooter, do you think.....

First, what percentage of recruits came in last year in by the first four home games? Give me some perspective.

Next, it just might have something to do with having a brand new stadium to show off? Want to get the kids in early to see the shiny new diggs? vs. letting the competition define it for them? Consider that maybe we have a reason to get some kids that might not otherwise come to consider visiting us and want to get that visit locked up before the season starts to unfold and the kids get worn down by opposing coaches.

You're right. We should wait and have them in later, when there is no one in the stands. It's still is a purty stadium.

God forbid anyone try to leverage the excitement of the return to college football on campus. This story should be about how the new stadium is a huge asset for us. Brewster is doing this next year, or three years down the line, then you've got a story about hiding the weather.

gophmeister and Cali

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain myself very well. Of course I want kids to come to Minnesota. And I think the earlier games may be the best, recruiting wise. My problem is with the article. 60% of recruits are coming to 60% of the games. Where's the story? I'd feel differently if it was 90% of the recruits scheduled for the first two games. It's like pointing out that half the population is male and half is female. That's news?

I wasn't responding to your post BEGopher. I was agreeing with you, responding to Shooter. Re-read my post as directed towards Shooter. I think you'll see we agree.

Got it

I wasn't responding to your post BEGopher. I was agreeing with you, responding to Shooter. Re-read my post as directed towards Shooter. I think you'll see we agree.

With my post quoted, I thought you were disagreeing with me (which you can, of course). :)

Should I conclude?

40% of the recruits will not be at the first 4 home games? Or 40% will be at two or three games?

My question would be what makes a kid an "official recruit"? And how would shooter know this?

Top Bottom