Shooter: A little birdie says junior Pharrell Payne gets a check for $10,000 every Friday; Hawkins getting $400K

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shooter:

>> A little birdie says junior Pharrell Payne gets a check for $10,000 every Friday from his name, image and likeness (NIL) deal for leaving the Gophers last spring for Texas A&M. Ex-Gophers teammate Elijah Hawkins’ Texas Tech NIL deal is worth $400,000.

Go Gophers!!

Per Shooter:

>> A little birdie says junior Pharrell Payne gets a check for $10,000 every Friday from his name, image and likeness (NIL) deal for leaving the Gophers last spring for Texas A&M. Ex-Gophers teammate Elijah Hawkins’ Texas Tech NIL deal is worth $400,000.

Go Gophers!!
Hawkins said he would stay with the gophs.

My 37 years of 2 season tickets would pay for 2 months of Payne's NIL. Payne is no McHale, Thompson, Tucker Jackson etc... Sadly, there's not enough money in MN BB sphere to support paying a Hawkins/Payne group of players that are lower-middle b10 talent much less moving to upper-middle b10 talent which costs significantly more. And the only way to move to the upper-middle is to hire and pay (more-money) to a head coach and staff. Considering CBJ is already at the bottom of the b10 wage scale, where's a significant increase in coaching staff money going to come from in addition to the NIL for those coaches to secure commitments from upper-middle talent to play at MN.

In your case, they are correct....
Well what products are Payne & Hawkins advertising? The only thing I've seen is Payne promoting fur coats & BMW's. But do they expect tens-of-millions in increased sales to justify their salaries? And why are they more popular with audiences in Texas than in Minnesota?

No posts on this board for 6 hours...since my above post.

I don't want to be a downer. I admit I'm a fountain of negativity this off-season. But I won't be like this for too long. For years, I've been Johnson's & Fleck's biggest defender...so cut me some slack please. Or warn me if I'm out of line. But I think this off-season was the worst ever by far.

Well what products are Payne & Hawkins advertising? The only thing I've seen is Payne promoting fur coats & BMW's. But do they expect tens-of-millions in increased sales to justify their salaries? And why are they more popular with audiences in Texas than in Minnesota?
Very noble of you to be concerned about the sales of those businesses.

Your snarky comments on NIL have grown tiresome. It's pay to play. You know it, I know it, we all know it.

Or warn me if I'm out of line. But I think this off-season was the worst ever by far.

I don't know if you're out of line but the question of whether or not this was a terrible offseason is yet to be determined. I prefer to think it wasn't until events prove me wrong.

You know it’s interesting, Ben said on KFAN that there isn’t really any such thing as “academically ineligible” anymore. That would leave me to believe that there is no organized push to have kids pursue an academic future like before(I know some kids are self motivated).

So my question is, is getting a year or two of NIL money better than an actual degree that might secure lifetime earnings. I really don’t know. Maybe being a short time college(professional) is better than a college degree. Would be interesting to see an economic analysis.

You know it’s interesting, Ben said on KFAN that there isn’t really any such thing as “academically ineligible” anymore. That would leave me to believe that there is no organized push to have kids pursue an academic future like before(I know some kids are self motivated).

So my question is, is getting a year or two of NIL money better than an actual degree that might secure lifetime earnings. I really don’t know. Maybe being a short time college(professional) is better than a college degree. Would be interesting to see an economic analysis.

It's an interesting question. I guess I would say why not accomplish both if you have the opportunity.

It's an interesting question. I guess I would say why not accomplish both if you have the opportunity.
That is obviously the preferred and smart path, but I have known a few college athletes, and heard countless others say that they were 18 to 22 and thought they would be professional athletes and just wanted to play their sport. But coaches, tutors, and academic advisors pushed them hard to go to class and work hard, even if it was just to stay eligible, but it ended up earning them a degree that they relied on the rest of their lives when the pros didn't come knocking.

Over a lifetime? No. In the short run? Probably. Make a few hundred thousand dollars (or more) playing college sports.....while also getting some free college credits. If the pros don't work out....and assuming the players don't blow their NIL money quickly.....there's nothing stopping them from finishing out a degree after their athletics career while having a nice chunk of $$$ in the bank.

The sweet spot would be finishing a degree while using their status to work in a part-time type situation. I know Fox already has his degree.....but he's doing some radio work even though his playing career isn't yet finished. Playing high level college sports opens up a lot of doors for the guys smart enough to take advantage.

Over a lifetime? No. In the short run? Probably. Make a few hundred thousand dollars (or more) playing college sports.....while also getting some free college credits. If the pros don't work out....and assuming the players don't blow their NIL money quickly.....there's nothing stopping them from finishing out a degree after their athletics career while having a nice chunk of $$$ in the bank.

The sweet spot would be finishing a degree while using their status to work in a part-time type situation. I know Fox already has his degree.....but he's doing some radio work even though his playing career isn't yet finished. Playing high level college sports opens up a lot of doors for the guys smart enough to take advantage.
I used to know a guy who made it to the AA level in minor league baseball before blowing out his arm. Afterwards, he used his signing bonus to finish college and buy his first home. A nice little (big) boost to starting out in life for sure.

That is obviously the preferred and smart path, but I have known a few college athletes, and heard countless others say that they were 18 to 22 and thought they would be professional athletes and just wanted to play their sport. But coaches, tutors, and academic advisors pushed them hard to go to class and work hard, even if it was just to stay eligible, but it ended up earning them a degree that they relied on the rest of their lives when the pros didn't come knocking.

Yes, and it's even better now that you get paid in addition to a scholarship.

Take the money, focus on financial literacy at the University. if you don’t make the pros, go to trade school and retire young.

Yes, and it's even better now that you get paid in addition to a scholarship.
It will be interesting to see after dust settles. A large amount of funding for Athletics Departments still comes from state funding.

Will citizens of states still want to pay taxes to offer free school to individuals making twice what they do?

On Gopherhole, sure, football and basketball wins are everything, but in the average population? That’s a tough sell.

If Hawkins makes 400k why should we pay for his college?

And let’s remember that Athletic Departments don’t usually turn a profit in the traditional corporate accounting. It is funded largely by student fees and state funds.

If Hawkins makes 400k why should we pay for his college?

And let’s remember that Athletic Departments don’t usually turn a profit in the traditional corporate accounting. It is funded largely by student fees and state funds.
Big time sports, at a lot of schools, maybe not so much Minnesota, are really a form of marketing more than anything else. We can debate how affective that is, but more awareness is probably generated for the University of Alabama or LSU for their football teams more than anything else.

Big time sports, at a lot of schools, maybe not so much Minnesota, are really a form of marketing more than anything else. We can debate how affective that is, but more awareness is probably generated for the University of Alabama or LSU for their football teams more than anything else.
That would be the most compelling argument. I guess athletic success does draw applicants. I am appalled that average kids make massive life decisions based on whether the schools basketball team made the NCAA tournament but the numbers seem to show that they do.

Your snarky comments on NIL have grown tiresome. It's pay to play. You know it, I know it, we all know it.
Coyle says he's researching advertising opportunities and how to coordinate it with the school.

And the article in the original post doesn't just say NIL. It blares NAME, IMAGE, AND LIKENESS.

That would be the most compelling argument. I guess athletic success does draw applicants. I am appalled that average kids make massive life decisions based on whether the schools basketball team made the NCAA tournament but the numbers seem to show that they do.
I agree with you 100% but I've literally known people whose kids have done exactly this. And in one case, it didn't work out so well. They went to Bama and HATED the culture in the South - left after one year.

There are numerous factors that go into the college decisions of most kids. For many, sports are a big part of the experience. I don't see the issue with having that be a factor in your college choice anymore than location, weather, etc.

There are numerous factors that go into the college decisions of most kids. For many, sports are a big part of the experience. I don't see the issue with having that be a factor in your college choice anymore than location, weather, etc.
Location, weather, and sports are something to considered but still all should be quite a bit behind academics and future life plans. But to each their own as long as I don’t have to pay for it….

Location, weather, and sports are something to considered but still all should be quite a bit behind academics and future life plans. But to each their own as long as I don’t have to pay for it….
Well since 'academics' are the same at every school...you might as well choose the atmosphere or something that you like.

Per Shooter:

Go Gophers!!
That this should not be happening and everything should be done to stop it would seem to be the beginning of wisdom. Yet presidents, ADs, coaches won't take a stand, won't go back into federal court and try again.

That this should not be happening and everything should be done to stop it would seem to be the beginning of wisdom. Yet presidents, ADs, coaches won't take a stand, won't go back into federal court and try again.
By agreeing with NIL and the $ the athletes receive the presidents, ad's and coaches justify their own outrageous compensation. If the highly paid presidents, ad's and coaches disagree/criticize NIL they open themselves to criticism, which regardless of NIL they deserve.

Top Bottom