Shayne Mullaney commits to Gophers

Borton definitely needs good players. Not very many B1G caliber players/athletes on the current roster. Banham needs to be every bit as good as advertised, and then some for 2011-12 to be any kind of a success.

Mark Mullaney, the former Viking, is her dad. Her sister, Kelly Jo, was a
Gopher commit for a very short time. She ended up at Colorado State for a while and is now in school on the West Coast (San Francisco?). Hopefully, Shayne does end up at the U since she has a lot of potential.

Clarification: Shayne is not Ryan's sister. Shayne is Mark's sister.

Clarification: Shayne is not Ryan's sister. Shayne is Mark's sister.

Mark Mullaney is 58 years old. I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly certain that a 58-year-old and a 17-year-old are not brother and sister.

Unless, of course, you're talking about Mark, Jr., which would be strange since no one has brought him up in this thread.

Mark Mullaney is 58 years old. I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly certain that a 58-year-old and a 17-year-old are not brother and sister.

Unless, of course, you're talking about Mark, Jr., which would be strange since no one has brought him up in this thread.

Mark, Sr. = Shayne's father
Mark, Jr. = Shayne's brother
Kelly Jo = Shayne's sister

This a great get. Shayne Mullaney has all the tools to play in the Big 10 and specifically to complement Rachel Banham very effectively. She is a classic combo who handles the ball and can score, too. She shot 58 percent last year with a fair number of 3s mixed in. She is a bigger, stronger version of Kamille Wahlin.

Well?

Shayne Mullaney may be a nice complimentary player on a team but she certainly is not a program changer. Unless she is best friends with Jackie Johnson? Jackie Johnson is a Big 10 player.

Shayne is 5'8". She's not a shooter like almost anyone Pam recruits. She is not a point guard. She is a nice all around player at 5'8". How many of those can you afford to have on a Big 10 team? Like the girl from Osseo, Mullaney is not the best player on her own high school team....they are similar players.

I'm willing to bet most Top25 programs in the country that recruit in Minnesota....they recruit the best player on the team?

Fox was OK

If I recall Emily Fox was not the best player on her High School team and she turned out to be an effective B1G player for the Gophers.

If this thread has had 2454+ views it means I am not the only guy who thought Shayne was a guy and our Men's team had a new offer on the board. Anyone else?

A very odd acceptance of a commit by Borton. Mullaney is rated the ninth best prospect in the state in her class. As stated above she must be a lure for Jackie Johnson because on a state wide bases she is non-descript.

sam, you have obviously not seen these kids play. I often refer to gPrep myself because it is easily accessible, but he is just 1 guy with a Web site. He's got Mullaney #9 overall among the 2012s and #6 among the guards. I personally like her better than the #2, #5 and #7 players who are guards.

And not a shooter? She shot 58 percent last year. And, sure, she gets to the rim but that also includes a normal number of 3s.

A program changer? Of course not, we don't even know if Banham is a program changer. There hasn't been one of those since you know who.

However, I agree re. Jackie Johnson. Borton needs her. An upgrade over Katie Loberg for sure.

I have actually seen all of these girls not just Mullaney play innumerable times. Unfortunately neither the addition of Mikayla Bailey nor the addition of Shayne Mullaney makes Bortons team better. It is tough to recruit players with moderate talent and have them develop into the kind of players that makes for a quality Big Ten team. Bortons judge of talent has always been suspect, but if she keeps recruiting like this she will be coaching a different college team if at all.

Shayne Mullaney may be a nice complimentary player on a team

Does this mean that she is really good at verbally praising others, or that she is free of charge? Please advise.

Thank you

Does this mean that she is really good at verbally praising others, or that she is free of charge? Please advise.

You know....I wrote a really good explanation of what a "complimentary" player was to you. Then I said, you know, this guy is way smarter than me.
I should probably look the spelling up of my use of this word.

So cool....they sound the same but they are spelled differently. My bad.
Thank you! The word I meant to use was complementary. Kind of funny but mostly embarrassing.

You know....I wrote a really good explanation of what a "complimentary" player was to you. Then I said, you know, this guy is way smarter than me.
I should probably look the spelling up of my use of this word.

So cool....they sound the same but they are spelled differently. My bad.
Thank you! The word I meant to use was complementary. Kind of funny but mostly embarrassing.

It's all good...just having fun.

Thank you for taking it in the tone in which it was intended, and not personally, like so many Sensitive Sallies on this board do.

Yeah, I thought this was a Men's hoops commit too, and got excited. I'm pretty starved for good recruiting news.

Shayne Mullaney may be a nice complimentary player on a team but she certainly is not a program changer. Unless she is best friends with Jackie Johnson? Jackie Johnson is a Big 10 player.

Jackie Johnson has committed to Minnesota!

No. 100 Jackie Johnson staying in Minnesota

Jackie Johnson of Eden Prairie, Minn., has committed to the University of Minnesota, according to her club program director, Andy Meinhardt of the Minnesota Metro Stars.

The 6-foot-2 post, ranked No. 100 in the 2012 class by ESPN HoopGurlz, also considered Cal, Iowa State, Pepperdine and UCLA, Meinhardt said in an email message.

"I chose Minnesota because it is a great school that is close to home," Johnson said via Meinhardt. "I felt like i fit in best with the team, coaches, and overall playing style here. After going on my official visit i knew inside this was the place for me."

Johnson averaged averaged 14.3 points, 8.6 rebounds, 3.0 blocks, 2.3 assists and 1.7 steals as a junior and Eden Prairie (Minn.) to a 25-6 record and berth in the state AAAA championship game.

"Jackie is a throwback, a Bill Russell type of player," Meinhardt said. "She does what it takes to win games and makes all around her better. Minnesota is getting a true winner both on and off the floor"

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/recruiting/onthetrail

Jeez, Jackie Johnson doesn't even get her own thread!?

A great get for the Lady Gophers. Jackie is rated the #1 2012 in Minnysota, and so she is. People have been down about her size (6-2) but she has the quickness to play the forward spot, don't worry about that.

Top Bottom