Shama: U Needs to Find a Role for Jerry Kill

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

But what University president Eric Kaler must do is dialogue with Kill over the coming weeks and months about whether there is the right fit for a position at Minnesota. Knowing Kill as I do, it’s almost impossible to imagine that there couldn’t be an appropriate assignment—even if it was part time.

Kill is so respected and loved by so many supporters of the University there is no question they would want him to continue officing in Dinkytown. He played a major role in the fundraising that has resulted in the Athletes Village project for which ground will be broken on Friday. His reputation, people skills and relationships would allow him to be an extraordinary fundraiser for the athletic department which still is only about halfway home in raising funds for new and renovated facilities. Whether Kill’s interest and health would allow him to do more than wear the hat of a full or part-time fundraiser remains to be seen.

Also, it’s no secret the Gophers need a permanent athletic director. If Kill thought he was healthy enough and had the energy he would be fabulous at the job. Over 30 years in coaching has given him great experience in athletics. Kill would bring so many of the attributes to an administrative role that he showcased as the Gophers football coach. The quality of the assistant coaches he has hired and the loyalty they have shown to him demonstrates his skill in assembling and keeping a staff in place. He set high standards for excellence including wins on the field. He was committed to the welfare of those around him including his assistant coaches and players. He was honest and direct with people, sometimes telling them what they needed to know even if they didn’t want to hear it.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Yes, they do. Special recruiter/fundraiser/motivational speaker. Something.

If he will take it absolutely.

Jerry outright said he had put no thought into what he is going to do next.

It might be that being too close to the program might be more painful than much else... maybe a break is in order?

AD is not his job though. Jerry is a workaholic... AD is a workaholic (and mega tongue) kinda job, Jerry doesn't need that.

There no possible way he will ever be "AD" at Minnesota. That position requires nearly as much stress as a head coaching position. I am sure they locate him a job with the football team and create a relaxed position for him. That's the least Minnesota could do for him. He is a major factor for both the U and the state of Minnesota. Heck, he should be the head of donor giving for the U and football program. He knows how to drive it. Him and Quincy could do some work with donors and drive the facilities/programs needed for a B10 program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see the harm in hanging around Minneapolis and the University. When he's ready, hire him as a consultant or whatever position they work out. Maybe football advisor, or whatever he and Claeys may want to work out, whatever Claeys might be comfortable with. How about special asst? Recruiting advisor? Whatever. Would be great for the state of Minnesota if he stayed in Minnesota, whatever he does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There no possible way he will ever be "AD" at Minnesota. That position requires nearly as much stress as a head coaching position. I am sure they locate him a job with the football team and create a relaxed position for him. That's the least Minnesota could do for him. He is a major factor for both the U and the state of Minnesota. Heck, he should be the head of donor giving for the U and football program. He knows how to drive it. Him and Quincy could do some work with donors and drive the facilities/programs needed for a B10 program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I might not go as far as to say never I would put the odds extremely low that Kill winds up the AD. When/if he is ready for some role I have no doubt the U will welcome him back with open arms but it will have to be in some low stress capacity that will allow him to do all the things he needs to do health wise.

I actually think it is far more likely though that he will surface again at some point at a smaller school somewhere else, maybe even at the high school level. I honestly think it would be really hard for him to be around the program in any role other than coach because it is all he has ever known.

No matter what I hope he takes an extended time away from all of it to really evaluate things. I think a lot of people here are underestimating just how hard it might be for him to be around things here, even if his health does improve.

Doesn't his contract guarantee him some sort of job at U of M for $200K per year as long as he isn't removed for cause? At least that's what I recall seeing somewhere yesterday.

Doesn't his contract guarantee him some sort of job at U of M for $200K per year as long as he isn't removed for cause? At least that's what I recall seeing somewhere yesterday.

From my understanding yes, there's a job here if he wants it

They kept Maturi around. So surely Coach Kill if he wants to stay involved.

They also kept Doug Woog around after he was replaced as hockey coach

This seems like a pretty pointless thread. I don't think there is any doubt that IF Kill wants a job with the athletic department, they will find a role for him that works. The real question to me is if that is something that Kill will want to do, once he gets to the point that he is looking to go back to work in some capacity. My gut tells me he is not the type to slide into a deskjob role but could certainly be wrong. I was surprised when Mason went the BTN route but that has worked out great for him.

I believe it should be a priority that the University keep him around in some capacity. The University and the State owe him that much for putting every ounce into what he did here. Give him a job and an office like Bud Grant had forever with the Vikes; call it whatever you want: special advisor to the coaching staff, freaking head coach emeritus, anything. Especially if we hire Claeys as permanent head coach. Take the pressure off, give him something he can ease into, maybe devote more time to his charity/social causes and to the interface between the football team and the fans/students/alumni/donors/media. But still give a chance to be there for the players - i really get the feeling that's what was so crushing about being forced to retire - he was being taken away from them.

I don't think the whole AD thing is likely at all. It's not a low pressure gig at all, and I got the feeling Coach Kill retired in order to maximize his time with his family - those do not mesh well. Any new AD has a lot to do the first couple of years, and they need to be able to hit the ground running. I'm not saying he couldn't do that, but it just seems contradictory to the spirit of his decision to retire as head football coach.

Top Bottom