Shama: U Basketball Ticket Sales Minimal

Muss I suspect got you to buy in the 70's, Al Davis could explain what you need to do to sell tickets.
I actually learned from Mike Tice - true story...

I was a grade schooler in the 70s but I suspect that my father-in-law got hooked during the Mussleman era. (Looks like we now only have room for 1 more in the group if someone is looking for a "half season" set of tickets)

Muss's teams of the 70's are responsible for about half of all the ticket revenue since that time. Gopher basketball got injected into thousands of us during that period and hope of it's return always lingers.

That's why you go all in to get the best coach possible when you have the chance. It pays off. I hope Ben is that guy.
In those days there was a top 20 and Gophers would be in the "others receiving votes" list. It was an exciting time. I see you suggest 50% but I wonders how long Muss indirectly has kept this program going.

In those days there was a top 20 and Gophers would be in the "others receiving votes" list. It was an exciting time. I see you suggest 50% but I wonders how long Muss indirectly has kept this program going.
Most all of it. Like I said, at least half the fans in the stands were won over by Muss. directly or they are offspring of those who were.

Not a big science guy, eh?
If ignoring much of my doctor's advice through the years makes me "not a big science guy" then I fit the bill. The upshot is, as an older guy I now have a whole host of health issues, and my doctor now advises me I should avoid large gatherings because of those issues.

The possibility of contracting COVID is just one factor, and for someone who was already going back and forth on whether to continue attending sporting events, COVID was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Not attending because of covid is silly. What does your Doctor(?) want you to do, curl up on the sofa and die?

What I find interesting is that the opinions of medical professionals (doctors and nurses, at least) seem to vary as much as the general public. Some have been unwilling to get the vaccine. Some have been back out to public events as soon as they could. On the other extreme, I know a doc who home schooled her kids (and may next year, as well), still wears a mask (even outdoors) even after being vaccinated.

Not attending because of covid is silly. What does your Doctor(?) want you to do, curl up on the sofa and die?

Next time I see her I'll tell her to ignore my chart, medical literature, and her years of training and experience. She should start reading sports forums where experts in every field frequent and share their wisdom.

No shit? Surprised people don't want to get season tickets to see 1 maybe 2 wins

I think it goes beyond just wins and losses.

It really comes down to commitment. Commitment of time and money. Obviously, you need to have the money to buy season tickets. but beyond that, season tickets are a commitment of time - because you're saying that you will be at those games (or find someone else who wants the tickets).
so, you have to be willing to make that commitment to Gopher basketball. And with people being busy these days, or if you have kids who have their own activities, it's not so easy to make that commitment to Gopher Hoops.

sure, if the team is winning and the Barn is hopping, that is an incentive. But win or lose, you have to be there.

I think the Gophers would be smart to come up with alternate ticket plans like the Twins have - a 5-game plan, a 10-game plan, etc. anything that gets butts in seats.

It really comes down to commitment. Commitment of time and money. Obviously, you need to have the money to buy season tickets. but beyond that, season tickets are a commitment of time - because you're saying that you will be at those games (or find someone else who wants the tickets).
so, you have to be willing to make that commitment to Gopher basketball. And with people being busy these days, or if you have kids who have their own activities, it's not so easy to make that commitment to Gopher Hoops.

sure, if the team is winning and the Barn is hopping, that is an incentive. But win or lose, you have to be there.

I think the Gophers would be smart to come up with alternate ticket plans like the Twins have - a 5-game plan, a 10-game plan, etc. anything that gets butts in seats.
Especially with the way the non-conference home schedule looks. Woof.

I agree with this. A 7 game plan would be perfect. 2 non-conference and then half the conference home games.

Get your tickets now cause in 3-4 years when Ben is at the height of his powers and the Barn is rocking so hard that Wisconsin, Iowa, North, and South Dakota start calling the authorities to shut down the loud party noises emanating from their neighbor that is Minnesota, you won't be able to get within 100 feet of a gophers game live, all the billionaires will buy up every ticket like it's Google stock.

Get your tickets now cause in 3-4 years when Ben is at the height of his powers and the Barn is rocking so hard that Wisconsin, Iowa, North, and South Dakota start calling the authorities to shut down the loud party noises emanating from their neighbor that is Minnesota, you won't be able to get within 100 feet of a gophers game live, all the billionaires will buy up every ticket like it's Google stock.
You should have added "I find your lack of faith disturbing".

The golden goose has been strangled and is fighting for breath.
The U can't sell bball tickets ... because college bball fans are sick of the idea of players getting paid?

Disagree.

Frankly, as long as college football continues to thrive in terms of bringing home truckloads of cash to the P5, and the major elite teams continue to sell out home games, and March Madness continues to get great TV ratings ...... that's pretty much what matters in college sports.

Various successful programs and tournaments outside of that will continue to do what they do.

U bball falls into neither of those.

I'm one of the new season ticket holders this year. Adding to the football tickets that I've had for quite a while. The number of games is definitely a bit of shock.

Top Bottom