Shama: The ‘Polish Eagle’ Flies High in Life

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Jonckowski has lived in Shakopee with his wife Arlene for 50 years. He is one of only two public address announcers in Williams Arena history. The famous basketball home of the Gophers opened in 1928 and Julie Perlt was the P.A. man until Jonckowski succeeded him starting with the 1986-87 season.

Seven athletic directors and five coaches later, Jonckowski is still courtside providing fans with information during games. Sometime later this season a halftime ceremony at Williams Arena (date not announced yet) will recognize him for his 30 years behind the microphone.

Ask Jonckowski about the 30 years and the memories come so fast it seems like he doesn’t know where to begin telling stories. A classic memory was the night Northwestern coach Ricky Byrdsong left the team bench during the game and walked up an aisle while Gophers fans looked on with amazement. Byrdsong started wandering around Williams Arena after a disputed call by a referee. The coach’s brain cells seemed awry that evening, and Byrdsong even challenged the final score of the game—insisting to Jonckowksi the Wildcats, not the Gophers, won the game.

In 2013 Smith’s Gophers upset then No. 1 ranked Indiana at Williams Arena. Jonckowski loved it and so did the fans who poured out of their seats and onto the floor when the game ended. “They jumped right over my head,” he said.

The Gophers’ 1994 triple overtime win against Iowa at Williams Arena is a special memory. “I was so exhausted at the end of that game—because I was really into it,” Jonckowski remembered. “I was actually hyperventilating at the end of the game.”

Voshon Lenard had 38 points for Minnesota in the game. Jonckowski lists Lenard as one of his favorite Gophers during the last 30 seasons. The others are Willie Burton, Austin Hollins, Bobby Jackson, Sam Jacobson and Jim Shikenjansky.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

IIRC, there was a great moment at a Vikings game captured on film: It was pouring rain and Jonckowski was on the sidelines as a player made a diving catch and slid about 10 feet. Jonckowski positioned himself like a baseball umpire and called him 'safe'. It was hilarious and replayed all over the country.

I'll be the bad guy...it's time for our third PA person. I actually like the other guy at the games better. Better voice , way more energy.

Top Bottom