Shama: Roles for U Frosh Koi Perich in 2024 Might Be Multiple

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shama:

Perich has a legacy to follow and although he may not be a starting safety in 2024, Burns sees potential roles on the field including the possibility of playing nickel on passing downs. That could have the hyped freshman on the field for 200 to 300 snaps next season.

At Esko Perich returned three punts for touchdowns and one kickoff for a score last season. Given how prolific Perich was at returning punts and kickoffs in high school, Burns would “love to see” the fan favorite have a chance at those roles with the Gophers.

“As you know, my bar for (head coach) P.J. Fleck’s return game is incredibly low,” said Burns who noted the Gophers haven’t returned a kickoff for a TD since 2017, nor taken a punt back for a score since 2018. A poor kickoff return game last year, he said, resulted in consistent bad field position and added to problems for aa challenged offense.

So, nickel back, returning punts and kickoffs, and even time at safety could be on the table for Perich. The Gophers do have to replace their starting safeties from 2023 and sooner or later that could create an opening for you-know-who.

The conclusion? No one should be shocked if Perich contributes to Minnesota’s success in 2024 with probably bigger things coming in 2025.

Go Gophers!!

I am happy with whatever is an alternative returner to what we had last season. Too many unacceptable unforced errors.

Death, Taxes and Ryan Burns complaining about the Gophers' Special Teams.

(hey, I agree with Burns a lot of the time, but it's just gotten to be funny that he complains about special teams so often.)

I have not seen the data. But it seems that when we receive kickoffs it is either a 1) touchback, or 2) the Gopher returner employs a fair catch. So I doubt that we will see us return a KO for six this year.

I have not seen the data. But it seems that when we receive kickoffs it is either a 1) touchback, or 2) the Gopher returner employs a fair catch. So I doubt that we will see us return a KO for six this year.
New special teams coach this year ...

For all of Fleck's flamboyance, he's really a risk aversion coach. I think that he believes that potential turnovers on kick returns outweigh the number of times you break a return. Not sure I agree with that but that's how he generally coaches. Again, Tressel Jr.

I've been skeptical about guys who play defensive back and then get a prospect grade boost for returning kicks.

If he does both, great. He'd better be good at it.

It sounds like he is!

I've been skeptical about guys who play defensive back and then get a prospect grade boost for returning kicks.

It sounds like he is!
I don't think Perich's grade was high due to returning kicks. He has all the measurables.

It sounds like he is!
Did you watch any of the High School AA game he played in? He's clearly one of the best defensive recruits in the country!

Remember when Winfield Jr had a punt return for a TD and another almost return and then fielded punts again, yah, that was awesome.

Great article on Koi, this kid sounds special.

If there was any doubt about those credentials for a kid from a northern Minnesota town with a population of 2,200, Perich erased them emphatically by earning MVP honors earlier this month at the All-American Bowl in San Antonio, which featured top players nationally. Perich's highlights included a diving interception in the end zone and a blocked punt.

Hey, facts are facts. Perich's self-confidence is rooted in athleticism that bursts out of his 6-1, 200-pound body.

"I've just never seen a more explosive kid," Esko football coach Scott Arntson said. "It's not even another gear. It's something else."

Perich runs the 40-yard dash in 4.54 seconds and bench-presses 330 pounds. He started dunking a basketball in eighth grade and won a state title in the long jump as a sophomore.

He amassed 27 touchdowns in football as a senior in every way possible. He scored five defensive touchdowns, returned four punt/kickoff returns for touchdowns, rushed for 16 touchdowns, caught a touchdown pass and threw a touchdown pass.

Top Bottom