Shama: Rodney Williams Impresses in Summer Ball; Tyus Jones: No College Favorites

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Tyus Jones: No College Favorites, or Decision for Awhile

Despite national attention, don’t expect 15-year-old Apple Valley High School point guard Tyus Jones to announce his college choice soon.

Local basketball authority Rene Pulley and others rate Jones the No. 1 point guard in America for the class of 2014. Pulley, who is CEO of Howard Pulley Basketball, has been involved with local basketball for years, but thinks Jones could be considered the greatest Minnesota prep ever by 2014.

Jones told Sports Headliners he has college scholarship offers from nine schools but is in no hurry to choose a college and might wait until his senior season at Apple Valley. “I don’t think I’ll make an early commitment, probably (decide) later in my high school career,” he said.

The offers are from Arizona, Baylor, Iowa, Iowa State, Marquette, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State and Providence. “I don’t think I have any favorites,” Jones said.

While some local preps might be overly dazzled about leaving the state, expect Jones to give the Gophers fair consideration. He’s an intelligent and mature young man who values classroom work, staying modest and treating others with respect.

Jones has a family connection to former Gophers captain Al Nuness. Jones’ dad, Robert, is Nuness’ nephew. Jared Nuness, Al’s son, is part of the basketball support staff at Baylor.

Al Nuness told Sports Headliners almost two years ago that Jones was better as an eighth grader than former North High and 1997 Minnesota Mr. Basketball Khalid El-Amin. Pulley said last week that Jones, already 6-foot-1 compared with El-Amin at 5-6 as a 15-year-old, is the better player at that age.

Jones, who admires New Orleans’ point guard Chris Paul’s “pass first, score second” approach, likely will be taller than 6-1 when he arrives on a college campus. “My dad is 6-7, so hopefully I will still have a growth spurt and get a few inches...in the years to come,” he said.

Jones said he won’t play football this year for Apple Valley, but might go out for baseball in 2012. He has experienced a busy spring and summer of basketball including being named the youngest player for the USA development team for players 16 and under.

Rodney Williams Impresses in Summer Ball

Rene Pulley has watched not only Jones but also several Gophers players in his summer basketball league. Among the players he’s intrigued to see play for Minnesota next season is forward Rodney Williams who had a disappointing sophomore year averaging 6.8 points per game, making only 21 percent of his three point field goals and often being a non-contributor even though he was a starter. Before the season he was projected by nbadraftnet.com to be a top 10 NBA draft choice in 2011.

“I think he’s got a new confidence in his game and his potential and his ability now,” Pulley said. “He’s been shooting the three point shot very well. He did that at the LeBron James camp and also the Kevin Durant camp. But he’s brought that back to the league (Howard Pulley) and he’s been doing that here.

“(He’s) putting the ball on the floor far more aggressive than he’s ever been. I am one of the ones that wonder, is it him? Or is it somebody holding him back? Because he impresses everybody. He’s a crowd favorite here. But for whatever reason, when he gets over to the U, you got a different Rodney Williams.”

Williams, who might be the most athletic player in the Big Ten, certainly has NBA potential and so, too, does teammate Trevor Mbakwe who is trying to make the USA World University Games roster this month. The Gophers’ power forward led the Big Ten in rebounding last year at 10.5 per game and was an intimidating player not only rebounding, but blocking shots with his exceptional strength and jumping ability.

“My assessment of Trevor is he’s a beast,” Pulley said. “He still needs to work on his low post moves, his footwork, and maybe develop a little eight to 12 foot shot. But if he gets that together, he’s got a chance to be in the NBA.”

The best of Minnesota’s new players next season could certainly be Memphis freshman guard Andre Hollins. The 6-1 Hollins averaged 23.5 points per game during his senior year and was Tennessee’s Mr. Basketball.

“I think he’s special," Pulley said. "I really, really like him. He’s a strong body. He’s an outstanding guard. A good handler, very athletic. Jumps out of the gym, but he’s got a great jump shot. He’s got a three point shot, a mid-range shot and he’s quick. I think he’s going to help the Gophers a lot.”

Worth Noting

Pulley said the two best high school seniors next season will be Hopkins point guard Siyani Chambers and Benilde-St. Margaret’s Isaiah Zierden, a two-guard who Pulley believes ranks with the best prep shooters in America. He said both are “mid-major” college prospects who could excel in the right programs.

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I'm surprised Pulley called Chambers and Zierden mid-major prospects after calling them the best seniors next year. Not exactly promoting them or that HS class. It is a weak class though.

“(He’s) putting the ball on the floor far more aggressive than he’s ever been. I am one of the ones that wonder, is it him? Or is it somebody holding him back? Because he impresses everybody. He’s a crowd favorite here. But for whatever reason, when he gets over to the U, you got a different Rodney Williams.”

Humm

Humm

Ya, I sort of raised my eyebrows reading that, but it's still on Rodney. He's had ample opportunity at the U to play, but hasn't shown the improvement in his fundamentals that he needs. Hopefully, he has improved over the summer, because if the reason he's a "different Rodney Williams" at the U is that he's so fragile, good luck on that being drafted in the first round scenario.

It's certainly easy to construe Pulley's comment as a verbal dart at the Gopher coaching staff.

It's certainly easy to construe Pulley's comment as a verbal dart at the Gopher coaching staff.

With the "rumors" about Tubby (being tough, etc.) it is easy to take it that way.

It could also be pointing to the fact that at Williams Arena it is against Big Ten competition, there is a much larger number of fans, the games mean something, the lights are quite a bit brighter, he has much more talented teammates to defer to, the floor is raised, etc.

There are more differences between Williams Arena and Howard Pulley than just Tubby Smith.

Tubby has started Rodney nearly every game so he has shown Tubby something at the U.

Maybe it also would have more to do with other responsibilities and activities outside of basketball at the U as well. Who knows? I doubt HP knows either and was just making a general statement about Rodney.

I would expect Williams to excel in the summer ball. All those leagues are is street ball--not a lot of defense or passing involved.

It would be nice...

If a top recruit would say "I'm going to the U - my home state school and I don't care about Duke, MSU etc...!

Going to Pulley for a fair assessment on anyone who has played for Pulley is a bit like going to Foxnews and looking for them give a fair assessment of any democratic president. The best senior in '12 is Woodard from Duluth and it's not really that close. If anyone goes high major it'll be him.

Rodney can shoot the three in open gym? Good start. Take it to Williams and then we'll see. Same unorthodox release as last year but do I think he'll shoot 20 damn percent again? Not sure anyone should. Colt probably could have shot 20%. Rodney's problem appears to be a certain amount of confidence in himself as well. The Pulley people taking a shot at others is predictable however.

As far as Jones goes, he's not 6'1". If he's 5'11" that's good enough though.

With the "rumors" about Tubby (being tough, etc.) it is easy to take it that way.

It could also be pointing to the fact that at Williams Arena it is against Big Ten competition, there is a much larger number of fans, the games mean something, the lights are quite a bit brighter, he has much more talented teammates to defer to, the floor is raised, etc.

There are more differences between Williams Arena and Howard Pulley than just Tubby Smith.

Tubby has started Rodney nearly every game so he has shown Tubby something at the U.

Maybe it also would have more to do with other responsibilities and activities outside of basketball at the U as well. Who knows? I doubt HP knows either and was just making a general statement about Rodney.

No doubt, I don't think you can point that one to Tubby, it's not like he's getting a short leash obviously, and I don't think he's being told not to be aggressive. Uneducated guess, I think Rodney struggles a little at reading the defenses and finding his spots to do things. Physically, he may be able to make moves, but he might just not see it clearly when on the court, when it's go time. It's a heck of a lot different attacking a Pulley defense than a B1G or even Div. 1 defense., that's for sure.

Top Bottom