Shama notes on Chip, Welch and RS3

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

"Gophers sophomore basketball guard Chip Armelin was all-state in high school football back home in Louisiana. Armelin told Sports Headliners he was seriously considering trying out for football with the Gophers this summer but coach Tubby Smith discouraged him. “I really miss it (football),” Armelin said. “…I just love basketball more than football.”

Armelin was a wide receiver in high school and would have pursued that position for the Gophers. He said it's “possible” he may talk to Smith again next summer about playing football. He averaged 11.1 minutes per game and 4.4 points as a freshman. He hopes to become a starter at shooting guard.

Junior college transfer Julian Welch said “he’s just a ball player” and can play both guard positions for the Gophers, point or shooting guard. “I love givin' guys the ball,” he said. Welch’s college choices among major schools were the Gophers and UNLV.

Gophers senior center Ralph Sampson III, who admitted it was “definitely tempting to make the jump” to the NBA after last season, said this year’s team has a “lot of great players.”

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Welch is a guy I'm anxious to see on the court. Hope to get contributions ala what Kevin Clark gave the Gophers as a juco in 1997-98, an immediate impact combo guard.

"Gophers sophomore basketball guard Chip Armelin was all-state in high school football back home in Louisiana. Armelin told Sports Headliners he was seriously considering trying out for football with the Gophers this summer but coach Tubby Smith discouraged him. “I really miss it (football),” Armelin said. “…I just love basketball more than football.”

Armelin was a wide receiver in high school and would have pursued that position for the Gophers. He said it's “possible” he may talk to Smith again next summer about playing football. He averaged 11.1 minutes per game and 4.4 points as a freshman. He hopes to become a starter at shooting guard.
Go Gophers!!

Please let Chip play football Tubby! Pretty Please.... Both teams could use him.

It was just a scrimmage but I wasn't overly impressed with Welsh on Friday. He seemed a step slow and didn't move well without the ball. I was hoping for a quick first step off the dribble and/or a nice handle and if he wasn't the best ballhandler, I was hoping for instincts to get open. I didn't see any of that. Again, just a scrimmage but wasn't the best first impression from my perspective.

Top Bottom