Shama: Next Gophers D-Coordinator Could Come from NFL

I can't imagine we'd be getting a lot of interest from guys that have a ton of DC experience.
Why? Even though we probably don't pay as high as the upper tier Big Ten teams do, we still can pay more for a DC than a lot of schools.

Why? Even though we probably don't pay as high as the upper tier Big Ten teams do, we still can pay more for a DC than a lot of schools.
I haven't gone through team by team but can't imagine there are a lot of DCs that have a lot of experience as DC and are at a program that pays less than MN. If they're good, most would have moved up by now.

I guess the most logical option would be a guy that was a DC at a higher level, left or got fired but is now having success at a lower level. I'm not sure if there is anyone like that or not.

I haven't gone through team by team but can't imagine there are a lot of DCs that have a lot of experience as DC and are at a program that pays less than MN. If they're good, most would have moved up by now.

I guess the most logical option would be a guy that was a DC at a higher level, left or got fired but is now having success at a lower level. I'm not sure if there is anyone like that or not.
As an example, I'm pretty sure we can outpay Kansas State. And their DC has been mentioned as a candidate.

As an example, I'm pretty sure we can outpay Kansas State. And their DC has been mentioned as a candidate.
That's an example for sure. But I think it's pretty rare.

Would they hire a DC to be a bridge- mentor until someone on their current staff is ready to assume DC?

PJ is making $6 million the HC at Washington $4.2 million. I don’t get the whole we pay less deal. We have all kinds of TV money to pay coaches et al. If a star DC wanted to come coach with PJ, which is doubtful, then we could/should pay the guy.

PJ is making $6 million the HC at Washington $4.2 million. I don’t get the whole we pay less deal. We have all kinds of TV money to pay coaches et al. If a star DC wanted to come coach with PJ, which is doubtful, then we could/should pay the guy.
We're probably somewhere in the middle when it comes to pay. I'm just saying the amount of coaches with lots of d-coordinator experience that is either at a worse program or making less money than what MN can offer is pretty small.

PJ is making $6 million the HC at Washington $4.2 million. I don’t get the whole we pay less deal.
PJ is paid well in a national comparison I believe, but the rest of the staff is paid way less. Not only is the staff paid less on average compared to other power 5 schools, we pay less to our staff than our biggest rivals in the Big10 (Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska). And that is a really big problem if you ask me, that the upper brass has yet to address. Of course, I’ve also read that PJ held back about $700K which he had available for salaries last year which he chose not to spend. That would help some, but I think our staff as a whole makes close to $2M less than less than Iowa.

Top Bottom