Shama: Names to Flood in for U Football Opening

BleedGopher

Reaction score
http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Names to Flood in for U Football Opening

The names will come fast and furious now in the search for a new Gophers football coach. Head coaches and coordinators with jobs, and ex-coaches without jobs will pursue the position.

Agents for coaches will call the University Athletic Department. Former players, fans and influential donors will be touting the names of coaches they think should be considered.

And why not? Despite 40 years of fleeting triumph mixed with mediocrity and embarrassment, the head football coaching job at the University is a darn attractive position.

Minnesota is an admired land grant school with membership in the prestigious Big Ten Conference. The campus is located in one of America’s most attractive urban areas. The two-year-old stadium is stunning not only for its amenities but in comparison to the relics from the 1920s that so many college teams call home.

There’s no other major college football program in the state to battle for high school recruits, and the recruiting base isn’t nearly as bad as the naysayers have argued for years. That feeder system is certainly competitive, if not better than found in Iowa and Wisconsin where prep players from those states have made major contributions over the years to top 20 teams for the Hawkeyes and Badgers. (See prep film on the likes of Minnesotans Steve Walsh, Joe Mauer, Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, James Laurinaitis, David Gilreath, Karl Klug, Broderick Binns, Seantrel Henderson and others).

And if all that’s not enough, the Gophers job has the potential to pay damn well. Basketball coach Tubby Smith makes about $2 million. The football job has the potential to pay a lot more with a stadium that can be expanded to 80,000 seats. In a major market like this fees from TV and radio shows, and other sources of outside income such as camps, have high buck potential. Plus, corporate leaders will kick in major dollars to keep the right man happy.

Who is the right guy? Before answering that question go read Monday’s Sports Headliners if you haven’t already done so. Click on the archives to find the October 18 column that describes the criteria for making the correct hire.

Best Candidates: Harbaugh and Petersen

A lot of names are being speculated on including five former highly successful coaches perhaps looking for work, Gary Barnett, Mike Leach, Mark Mangino, Phil Fulmer and Mike Bellotti. I guarantee the University won’t spend a lot of time studying the resumes of Barnett, Leach and Mangino. Too much controversy associated with their names, and Leach’s pass happy style isn’t the best of schemes for Minnesota talent.

Fulmer, 60, won a national championship at Tennessee during an impressive 17 year career as head coach. Bellotti put the pieces in place for the Oregon program that under second year coach Chip Kelly is ranked No. 1 in the country. Belloti reportedly wants to coach again, although he is almost 60 years old. Fulmer has been outspoken about his interest in a return to coaching. Would they have the energy and will to turn around the Gophers? It’s a big mountain to climb.

The energy and commitment issue is a potential red flag with retread coaches. That’s why I breathe easier when talking about younger head coaches who seem to be in or nearing their primes.

The best hire is either Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh or Boise State’s Chris Petersen. Chances of signing either to a contract? The answer is a four letter word: Slim. The sales pitch to Harbaugh is the opportunity to return to the Big Ten where he was an All-American quarterback at Michigan playing for legendary coach Bo Schembechler. Also, the U might be able to outbid Stanford on a contract for Harbaugh.

Petersen is probably the better bet to show interest, if only by a little. Boise State plays in the WAC and it may take an act of Congress to get the Broncos into the national championship game. A Big Ten job is more of a direct route to the national title game if you can develop a great team. Petersen reportedly earns about $1.5 million at Boise State, evidence that despite his extraordinary success the school and boosters have real limitations on how much they can pay. The Gophers might get him for $2.5 million.

Petersen and Harbaugh have shown they can work miracles at Boise State and Stanford, two schools with limited football resources and (stop me if this sounds like Minnesota) built in disadvantages. Identifying under the radar high school talent, then coaching them to the max is something badly lacking at Minnesota. Master teachers and motivators Petersen and Harbaugh are just what are needed for a Minnesota program that at times during the last 40 years has been on life support.

The next tier of coaches who deserve every consideration for the job are Air Force’s Troy Calhoun and Temple’s Al Golden. You gotta go get a coach who has shown he’s a winner and has done it at places where those programs aren’t loaded with so many resources and advantages, that if I were coach I could win half my games.

The excuse makers and apologists love to whine about why it’s so difficult to win at Minnesota. It’s no picnic at the service academies. Calhoun, 44, has won 30 games at Air Force since taking over in 2007. He is also known as a man with the right kind of values, and the Gophers will place a premium on character as they review candidates. And don’t typecast Calhoun as a coach who can only use the running game as emphasized at Air Force. Before taking over the Falcons he was offensive coordinator for the NFL’s Houston Texans.

Think Air Force is a challenge? I would rather coach there than Temple, a slum of a program that for decades was a constant loser. Golden, 41, has made steady progress at Temple, a program that couldn’t even surpass high school crowds for some home games. His team last season was 9-4, the first winning year since 1990 and first bowl appearance in 30 years. Now in his fifth season rebuilding Temple, the Owls are 5-2 and Golden has received praise for not only winning but lifting the GPA’s of his players. The Gophers job would be a big step up for Golden, a former tight end at Penn State and defensive coordinator at Virginia.

Who will the Gophers have as their final four candidates? I am guessing Houston head coach Kevin Sumlin, who was an assistant here under both Jim Wacker and Glen Mason, will be one finalist. He’s made news with his high scoring teams but the defensive report card isn’t so hot during his three seasons as head coach. The Cougars are ranked 96th in the country for points allowed per game and previous defenses were leaky, too. That’s not impressive when you consider coaching in Houston is a place where potential college players are more plentiful than just about any area in the country.

Behind mystery door No. 2 could be Marc Trestman, the former Gopher quarterback who has coached in both the pros and college as an assistant. As head coach he led Montreal to Canada’s Grey Cup title last year. The St. Louis Park High grad has the largest bandwagon of local supporters among the potential candidates and presumably they will dial up the pressure on the U to bring Trestman home if he’s interested.

Finalist No. 3 could be Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst. He received serious consideration in 2007, has a relationship with Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi and is highly regarded. Many college football experts see him as a big time coach in waiting. He would bring a deep understanding of the Wisconsin success formula, although hiring a coordinator is riskier than hiring a successful head coach from another program. And by the way, those who would oppose Chryst because he works for hated rival Wisconsin are silly.

I have a hunch that No. 4 will be Bellotti who dazzled at Oregon winning about two-thirds of his games, often being in the hunt for the Pac 10 title and helping turn Autzen Stadium into one of the most intimidating venues in the country.

I sure hope the U decides to put Harbaugh, Petersen, Calhoun, Golden or Bellotti behind mystery door No. 1. Gopherville will be happy with any of those names on the office door at the football complex.

Go Gophers!!

I sure hope the U decides to put Harbaugh, Petersen, Calhoun, Golden or Bellotti behind mystery door No. 1. Gopherville will be happy with any of those names on the office door at the football complex

Was going to post myself till I found yours. Good synopsis by Shama as usual.

My thoughts on door #1:
Harbaugh and Peterson are the top two choices but there is a strong 'can we get them factor'.

Calhoun and Golden are probably the next two in line and would be great picks. Once again there is 'can we get them factor', but yes a better chance.

Bellotti is a little too old I'm afraid

Shama's becoming my go-to guy for sports insight. A bit on the homer side, but really provides great analysis and writes well.

Behind mystery door No. 2 could be Marc Trestman, the former Gopher quarterback who has coached in both the pros and college as an assistant. As head coach he led Montreal to Canada’s Grey Cup title last year. The St. Louis Park High grad has the largest bandwagon of local supporters among the potential candidates and presumably they will dial up the pressure on the U to bring Trestman home if he’s interested.

WHY?

Great article. Door #1 is definitely the way to go. Harbough (my #1 choice) or Peterson would be an outstanding hire. Calhoun, Golden or Bellotti would be very good as well. This is definintely my top five at the moment.

I can see Rodriguez getting canned and Harbaugh getting hired as Michigan's next coach pretty soon after the season ends.

I can see Rodriguez getting canned and Harbaugh getting hired as Michigan's next coach pretty soon after the season ends.

He's NOT going to Michigan. He more or less trashed the program in an interview a couple years ago.

We fired our coach in the middle of the season.

If we don't swing for the fences now, when will we?

Harbaugh is choice #1.

He's NOT going to Michigan. He more or less trashed the program in an interview a couple years ago.

Granted he's just a former player, but Mike Hart basically said something along the lines of Harbaugh burned his bridge and would not be welcome back at Michigan.

When you swing for the fences, you're more likely to strike out.

I'm curious as to why Harbough's name comes up at all? Is there even a 1% chance that he would come? Have there been rumors about being unhappy at Stanford?

I sure hope the U decides to put Harbaugh, Petersen, Calhoun, Golden or Bellotti behind mystery door No. 1. Gopherville will be happy with any of those names on the office door at the football complex.
Great analysis by Sharma. I'd be very happy with any of those 5.

Regarding Bellotti...

Those who point to his age as a negative overlook the one great advantage Mike Bellotti has over all the other candidates (and no, I don't mean experience).

Bellotti is a lot like Hayden Fry in his masterful ability to spot, hire, and empower outstanding assistant coaching talent. Bring Bellotti in, let him ground the program on solid footing until retirement, and build a staff from which an outstanding young head coaching prospect can be groomed and named to replace him.

Alvarez did it with Bielema; we can do it here. That's the only way the U will sustain any success that the next coach achieves.

We fired our coach in the middle of the season.

If we don't swing for the fences now, when will we?

Harbaugh is choice #1.

I'm with you, but the fear is he bolts for a better job sonner than later. I'd take that risk every time. I'd also take the risk of getting Leach. Those are my two dream picks.

Agree that Harbaugh would be the best choice. However, are we willing to wait to take a shot at him or Peterson, both fall through and we lose Bellotti?

Top Bottom