Shama: Loyalists Troubled by Gopher Athletics

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Dick Ames has been a loyal Gophers supporter for decades, spending “millions of dollars” with the school. Last week he was questioning whether he wants to spend $100,000 now for a TCF Bank Stadium suite, and renew his men’s basketball season tickets.

Ames, like so many fans, is frustrated with the high profile sports at the University of Minnesota. He has been supporting the Gophers since the 1960s and when he looks back at the last “50 years” he isn’t all that happy with what U teams have done on the field and court.

The Gophers haven’t won a Big Ten football championship since 1967. They have played in one New Year’s Day Bowl Game since 1962. The men’s basketball program was stripped of its 1997 Big Ten title and Final Four appearance because of NCAA rules violations. Since the beginning of this century only four times has the U seen its basketball and football teams (twice each) win more than half of their conference games. Add up the combined performances of the football and basketball teams in the conference for the last 16 years and the Gophers rank at or near the bottom.

Al Nuness is a former Gophers basketball captain and assistant coach. His loyalty to the program runs deep but he isn’t renewing his membership in the Golden Dunkers, the booster group that for decades has assisted U basketball coaches including Tubby Smith who was fired in March of 2013.

“I am very disappointed (with the program) because expectations have not been met,” Nuness said. “We released a coach who had won the first round of the NCAA Tournament because he hadn’t reached our expectations. Well, I feel the same way, that Richard Pitino has not reached our expectations. So I am disappointed at this point.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Fire coaches annually until they reach our expectations. Solved.

Good news IMHO, but disappointed it has taken close to 20 years of futility (more if we're talking just football) for big time donors to demand more.

Money talks and we all know what walks.
Kaler is the one they should be pointing fingers at. He is the teflon president.

Good news IMHO, but disappointed it has taken close to 20 years of futility (more if we're talking just football) for big time donors to demand more.

Maybe we should demand more from our "big time" donors! Compared to other school's Big Time donors ours don't really look very big time. Like they say: " It is hard to fly with the Eagles if you hang around with turkeys".

Don't get me wrong, our big time donors are very important and contribute much more than the average fan. And I appreciate all of their contributions. But they should not blame all of the problems on the administration and expect us to be able to compete with programs that are backed by donors that make ours look like paupers.

With 18 or 19 Minnesota based Fortune 500 companies, and other local deep pockets as well, there is considerable potential for big donor contributions to support Gopher sports. But one thing I learned as a past president of a couple of not-for-profit organizations, is that big donors primarily contribute to organizations that are able to demonstrate strong public support. That's why it is important for Gopher sports fans to show their own financial commitment even though the absolute dollars raised from small donors might be relatively limited compared to total dollar needs. I strongly believe that with adequate resources our revenue sports can compete at a high level, which in turn will increase revenues with which to sustain those programs and to elevate them even further. I'm personally believe that both our football and men's basketball programs are headed in the right direction. If each is able to show solid improvement next year, which I fully expect, that should help a lot.

Al Nuness is a former Gophers basketball captain and assistant coach. His loyalty to the program runs deep but he isn’t renewing his membership in the Golden Dunkers, the booster group that for decades has assisted U basketball coaches including Tubby Smith who was fired in March of 2013"

I'm not sure how not spending $1,000 to be a Golden Dunker shows the U how upset you are. They are two separate organizations and I don't think Prez Kahler is soliciting advice from the Dunkers. I gave him some last year at the one time I have ever seen him at an event, but he was not seeking my input.

Top Bottom