Shama: Leidner Not in McShay’s 1st Round Now

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

In early May McShay wrote that the 6-4, 230-pound Minnesota native had “ideal size” for a quarterback, and labeled him a “late riser.”

McShay used a disclaimer in his “Way-too-Early NFL 2017 Mock Draft”, writing on the ESPN website that he hadn’t “studied tape” on the players he projected 1-32. In fairness to McShay he had just finished his assignments with the recently completed 2016 draft.

In his May 5 article this spring McShay had two quarterbacks, Deshaun Watson from Clemson, and Brad Kaaya of Miami, projected as the first two picks in next year’s draft. Leidner, projected as the No. 25 pick, was the only other quarterback in McShay’s mock first round.

McShay offered a revised mock draft for ESPN late last month. The top projected quarterback was Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer at No. 18. The other first round quarterbacks were Watson at 24 and Kaaya at 30.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Thanks.....I was wondering when Shama was going to post his weekly negative Gopher tidbit. :)

Good, now maybe this whole "1st round QB" thing will finally go away. I love how at one point in his story his source is a reader of his telling him what he (the reader) heard McShay say on the radio. That is some award winning journalism right there.

He probably changed his mind after reading Gopherhole and realizing that Mitch is not a D1 quarterback.

Just as much reason to list him as a 1st rounder now than there was earlier...

Just as much reason to list him as a 1st rounder now than there was earlier...

What it says is that McShay should really consider dumping the way too early predictions as clearly he doesn't put any thought at all into them. This is in no way meant as a knock to Leidner, he does a fine job for this team, but he isn't a first round NFL talent, he just isn't. He is a solid college QB and at the next level he is at best a backup or 3rd string guy. Which when you think of it ain't all bad, you don't get the glory but you get paid a ton of money to not get hit.

Mitch reminds me somewhat of Corey Sauter. About the same size with Corey being a better passer and Mitch a better runner. I believe Sauter kicked around on a few taxi squad's and may have even been on a full roster at some point.

Don't give a damn until next year.

Mitch reminds me somewhat of Corey Sauter. About the same size with Corey being a better passer and Mitch a better runner. I believe Sauter kicked around on a few taxi squad's and may have even been on a full roster at some point.

Statistically they are pretty close with Leidner actually being a bit better in completion percentage and pass attempts per INT.

Sauter was the 3rd string QB for Detroit for a few years.

Would be curious to know if draftniks like McShay and Kiper think Winona State's Jack Nelson will be drafted, or where he is in pecking order relative to Leidner.

Would be curious to know if draftniks like McShay and Kiper think Winona State's Jack Nelson will be drafted, or where he is in pecking order relative to Leidner.

Why do you keep bringing him up? What does it matter?

Does anyone remember watching Corey trying to run Elliot Uzelac's offense in 1997?

I talked to his uncle before the Oregon St game and he said Jack has a very good chance to get drafted. He's being scouted regularly. Take that for what it's worth.

per Shama:

In early May McShay wrote that the 6-4, 230-pound Minnesota native had “ideal size” for a quarterback, and labeled him a “late riser.”

McShay used a disclaimer in his “Way-too-Early NFL 2017 Mock Draft”, writing on the ESPN website that he hadn’t “studied tape” on the players he projected 1-32. In fairness to McShay he had just finished his assignments with the recently completed 2016 draft.

In his May 5 article this spring McShay had two quarterbacks, Deshaun Watson from Clemson, and Brad Kaaya of Miami, projected as the first two picks in next year’s draft. Leidner, projected as the No. 25 pick, was the only other quarterback in McShay’s mock first round.

McShay offered a revised mock draft for ESPN late last month. The top projected quarterback was Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer at No. 18. The other first round quarterbacks were Watson at 24 and Kaaya at 30.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Wonder how many people even visit his site and read the articles...

Top Bottom