Shama: Kill Last in Big Ten Head Coaches’ Pay

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Kill Last in Big Ten Head Coaches’ Pay

A list of notes including a few compiled during vacations the last two weeks.

The Gophers Jerry Kill is the lowest paid football coach in the Big Ten. Purdue’s Danny Hope, who reportedly earned $970,000 last season, was at the bottom in annual earnings but he’s been replaced by Darrell Hazell who will be paid about $2 million. Published reports have Kill’s annual pay at $1.2 million.

Hazell has only two years of head coaching experience while Kill has 18 including two at Minnesota. Hazell had an overall record of 16-10 in two seasons coaching Kent State in the Mid-American Conference. Kill was 23-16 in three seasons at Northern Illinois, another MAC member.

Dave Doeren, Kill’s successor at Northern Illinois, was paid $420,000 there but will make $1.8 million at North Carolina State, according to a February 12 article on college football coaches’ compensation in USA Today.

If the Gophers have a winning season in 2013, look for Kill’s salary to become a major news item in Minnesota.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Good Negotiating Teague!

As my close personal friend Sid would say, "Where are all the geniuses now who were so upset about Kill's contract being increased from 5 to 7 years?" Sid is the man! Now if I could only understand what he is saying.

Most other B1G schools have deeper pockets than MN because they don't pay former AD's $400,000+ to stick around in retirement as an "advisor" to the guy that replaced him.

Most other B1G schools have deeper pockets than MN because they don't pay former AD's $400,000+ to stick around in retirement as an "advisor" to the guy that replaced him.

This ^

That and most other B1G schools have deeper pockets than MN because they don't pay mid-level ACC teams $800,000 to not play us.

The price of things also goes up.

You could have written a similar kind of article when Kill was hired (he got 30% more than Danny Hope and Purdue).

This ^

That and most other B1G schools have deeper pockets than MN because they don't pay mid-level ACC teams $800,000 to not play us.

And most other B1G schools don't have to borrow from their schools general funds to pay multiple coaches buyouts. Also other B1G schools didn't hire a coach with a known medical issue that limits his ability to be present for all aspects of the job. If Kill wins it will all work out and he will get his pay raise.

And most other B1G schools don't have to borrow from their schools general funds to pay multiple coaches buyouts. Also other B1G schools didn't hire a coach with a known medical issue that limits his ability to be present for all aspects of the job. If Kill wins it will all work out and he will get his pay raise.

Are you implying that the U hired Kill his contract because he has medical issues?

FWIW, according to the coaches hotseat website Kill has the lowest salary of any AQ conference coach. Seems we are getting quite a bargain with coach.

He'll get a raise - but he has to beat a B10 team favored over his...

if all we care about is a low contract then yea we are gettin a bargain, if we care about big ten wins then no, as of now we are not getting a bargain.

I love these strings (Notice I didn't say discussions) were some new information is posted and immediately everybody goes back to their pet peeve/agenda and throws it in the pile. Highly predictable but as Artie Johnson used to say "Very interesting but stupid."

Are you implying that the U hired Kill his contract because he has medical issues?

If I understand your poorly written question correctly, I am implying that his condition and it's impact on his ability to perform his duties likely limits his options and therefore negotiating power. Do I think that his condition played a significant role in his initial contract, no. If he continues to have problems, will it become a bigger issue if and when he tries to renegotiate his salary, I would think so.

Maturi is being paid out of the President's discretionary fund and is not being kept around as an advisor to Teague, he's teaching and working on projects assigned by the President....but hey, facts are overrated.

I find "the Gophers Jerry Kill is the lowest paid football coach in the Big Ten" to be untrue.

Assuming Shama's info is correct, this is a good thing. No need to be overpaying for 2-6 in the conference. Kill's in line for a salary bump after his first winning BIG TEN season. I still think the additional two years on the contract was ridiculous and it will look more so if we are talking buyout instead of raise in two years.

Assuming Shama's info is correct, this is a good thing. No need to be overpaying for 2-6 in the conference. Kill's in line for a salary bump after his first winning BIG TEN season. I still think the additional two years on the contract was ridiculous and it will look more so if we are talking buyout instead of raise in two years.

Totally agree. Seems like Kill's contract has come up a few times in media stories the past few weeks. To me it is a complete non issue at this point. He has a long term deal so he doesn't have to worry about that recruiting disadvantage coaches always try to claim it is and he hasn't done anything that would warrent paying him a higher salary to this point. Yes the arguement can be made that guys with less experience are making more than him but that is not a justification for the U to give him an unerned bump in pay.

No one is trying to steal him from us, so he has zero leverage unless he wants to leave and go to a lower level institution and to this point the team has not done anything on the field that would make the adminstration fall all over itself to keep the guy happy. If he wins the pay raises will come but right now his salary should be among the lowest in the conference.

Totally agree. Seems like Kill's contract has come up a few times in media stories the past few weeks. To me it is a complete non issue at this point. He has a long term deal so he doesn't have to worry about that recruiting disadvantage coaches always try to claim it is and he hasn't done anything that would warrent paying him a higher salary to this point. Yes the arguement can be made that guys with less experience are making more than him but that is not a justification for the U to give him an unerned bump in pay.

No one is trying to steal him from us, so he has zero leverage unless he wants to leave and go to a lower level institution and to this point the team has not done anything on the field that would make the adminstration fall all over itself to keep the guy happy. If he wins the pay raises will come but right now his salary should be among the lowest in the conference.

I believe it's a non-issue also. As you and GopherGod were saying, he's not exactly the hot rumor guy for the next big job. We all know the questions that have arisen out of his public struggles to control his epilepsy. He has won 2 B1G games both of his seasons here. He has been at or near the bottom of B1G recruiting rankings (whatever that is worth) both times. What's he going to do? Who would offer him a better job based off his time here? I'm not saying I don't believe in Kill - I think he's going to help this team turn the corner. But it's not like Arkansas is going to randomly come calling. We can wait for a year or two (depending on his record the next couple years) to give him a bump. And if he asks in the meantime, respond that you had $800k earmarked for raises in the budget, but it's not around for some reason...

Top Bottom