Shama: It’s a possibility Minnesota, with Kaliakmanis, could have the Big Ten West Division’s most talented quarterback next season.

Well, O'Connell at Purdue is in his 6th year, so he's done.
I believe DeVito at Illinois is in his last year.
Graham Mertz at Wisconsin has a year of eligibility left.
Iowa is a mess at QB.
Hillinski at Northwestern is a Junior
Thompson at Nebraska is a Junior.

So, if you stop and think about it, saying that AK could potentially be the best QB in the West next year is really not an outrageous statement.

it's not like he's being compared to a list of Heisman candidates.
Thompson was supposed to be a great transfer …

Thompson (Neb.), Mertz (WI) and Hillinski Nare ranked 5, 6 and 7 in B1G passing stats. Morgan is no. 12.

But Morgan is PJ's BFF and is not to be dissed.

Thompson (Neb.), Mertz (WI) and Hillinski Nare ranked 5, 6 and 7 in B1G passing stats. Morgan is no. 12.

Depends on which specific passing stat you choose to look at. Morgan is indeed no. 12 in yards per game, but that is a bit misleading because Morgan has far fewer passing attempts than the three QBs mentioned. Morgan: 124 att., Mertz 188 att., Thompson 209 att., Hillinski 244 att.

In passing efficiency, which is a better stat in my opinion, Morgan ranks 5th in the B1G, behind only Stroud, McCarthy, Mertz and Tagovailoa.

Last edited:

Is there an All Things 2023 Roster Speculation Thread yet?

We lose 3 interior OL Starters
Lose Morgan
Don't see top 3 running back coming back. (Pure Speculation)
Dylan Wright still has two years left I believe.
Spann-Ford not sure if he goes pro.

Lose Morgan
Mo is done after this year but curious why you don't think Potts and Williams will be back.

On the plus side I think we will get CRAB back for one more go around.

Lose Morgan

I'd say that quality OL replacements will be the most difficult to obtain in the portal.

Bryce Willams has at least one more year of eligibility. I don't know why he would transfer. He'll play as he's a decent all-purpose back. Zach Evans looked good in the spring game. There are two promising true freshman RBs coming in next year (Darius Taylor from MI and Marquese Williams from PA). They are pretty light in weight though so Fleck may redshirt one or both of them. Maybe he'll decide to get one from the portal.

Spann-Ford could look like a likely draft prospect at the end of the season. Sports Illiustrated rated him as a 5th rounder prior to this season.

I'd say that quality OL replacements will be the most difficult to obtain in the portal.

Bryce Willams has at least one more year of eligibility. I don't know why he would transfer. He'll play as he's a decent all-purpose back. Zach Evans looked good in the spring game. There are two promising true freshman RBs coming in next year (Darius Taylor from MI and Marquese Williams from PA). They are pretty light in weight though so Fleck may redshirt one or both of them. Maybe he'll decide to get one from the portal.

Spann-Ford could look like a likely draft prospect at the end of the season. Sports Illiustrated rated him as a 5th rounder prior to this season.
Feels like these guys have been around forever since they played early in careers. With medical red-shirts I think even MO could be back next year. Crazy (No surprise that 2 young guys transferred.)

MO
2017 Red-Shirt
2018 Played
2019 Played
2020 COVID YEAR
2021 Injured in first game
2022 Played

Potts (Legit could play 3 more years if a medical red-shirt was granted)
2019 Red-Shirt
2020 COVID
2021 (5 games and then injured)
2022 Played

Williams
2018 Played
2019 Red-Shirt
2020 COVID
2021 Played 8 Games before injury
2022 Played

Feels like these guys have been around forever since they played early in careers. With medical red-shirts I think even MO could be back next year. Crazy (No surprise that 2 young guys transferred.)

MO
2017 Red-Shirt
2018 Played
2019 Played
2020 COVID YEAR
2022 Played

2019 Red-Shirt
2020 COVID
2022 Played

Williams
2018 Played
2019 Red-Shirt
2020 COVID
2022 Played

Yeah, the optional 5th year of eligibility won't be with us much longer and that's a good thing.

MO
2017 Red-Shirt
2018 Played
2019 Played
2020 COVID YEAR
2022 Played

2019 Red-Shirt
2020 COVID
2022 Played

Williams
2018 Played
2019 Red-Shirt
2020 COVID
2022 Played
According to the roster on Gophersports.com, coming into the 2022 season the 3 backs had this many years of eligibility left:

Mo - 1
Williams - 2
Potts - 3

Tracking eligibility with the Covid year has gotten so confusing. Will be nice when that extra year is no longer a thing and it becomes much more straightforward again like it used to be.

Potential on OL

LT-ERSERY Should have 3 years left
RT- CARROLL 2 more Years and Martes LEWIS

JJ GUEDET is still on the Roster
KARTER SHAW one more year.

Young Scholarships

SPENCER ALVAREZ
CAMERON JAMES
TONY NELSON
CADE MCCONNELL
TYRELL LAWRENCE
ASHTON BEERS
LOGAN PURCELL

4 Potential True Freshmen coming in.
WILLIAMS
JOHNSON
TRIPP
MISTER

That's 16 Scholarship OL and then there are walk-ons. Will be interesting to see if they really need to hit the transfer portal or who potentially transfers.

Depends on which specific passing stat you choose to look at. Morgan is indeed no. 12 in yards per game, but that is a bit misleading because Morgan has far fewer passing attempts than the three QBs mentioned. Morgan: 124 att., Mertz 188 att., Thompson 209 att., Hillinski 244 att.

In passing efficiency, which is a better stat in my opinion, Morgan ranks 5th in the B1G, behind only Stroud, McCarthy, Mertz and Tagovailoa.

Agree that stats differ and tell different stories. I chose total yards because it is, in my mind, more reflective of whether your passing game is helping you score and is complimentary with your defense (keeping the other team’s offense off the field). An efficient passer who contributes only, say 50 yards, versus a less efficient passer who contributes, say 200 yards. Who is more valuable to his team? It is all in the eyes of the viewer, I guess.

I

Agree that stats differ and tell different stories. I chose total yards because it is, in my mind, more reflective of whether your passing game is helping you score and is complimentary with your defense (keeping the other team’s offense off the field). An efficient passer who contributes only, say 50 yards, versus a less efficient passer who contributes, say 200 yards. Who is more valuable to his team? It is all in the eyes of the viewer, I guess.

I
But whether your passing game is helping you score is NOT just on the QB, so to judge QBs on how good they are by how good the passing game is overall by total yards is flawed.

You can have a really inefficient QB who throws a ton with great WRs. Very few of the QBs throws are on target, but those that are the WRs get large gains after the catch and balloon the total yard number. I would argue in that case, it's not the QB that is making the passing game work, it's the WRs.

Then consider the opposite. A really efficient QB who throw very little, with mediocre WRs. Almost every ball is on target, but the WRs never get very many YAC. If the passing game skews toward short throws, the total yards number would be very low even though the passing game is very effective.

QB efficiency is a measure of when the QB is tasked to throw, how well are they at making that a completed play. YAC don't matter, so the WRs can't inflate the numbers. Number of plays don't matter because it's normalized, so a QB with more attempts doesn't get an advantage just because they have had more passing plays called.

But whether your passing game is helping you score is NOT just on the QB, so to judge QBs on how good they are by how good the passing game is overall by total yards is flawed.

You can have a really inefficient QB who throws a ton with great WRs. Very few of the QBs throws are on target, but those that are the WRs get large gains after the catch and balloon the total yard number. I would argue in that case, it's not the QB that is making the passing game work, it's the WRs.

Then consider the opposite. A really efficient QB who throw very little, with mediocre WRs. Almost every ball is on target, but the WRs never get very many YAC. If the passing game skews toward short throws, the total yards number would be very low even though the passing game is very effective.

QB efficiency is a measure of when the QB is tasked to throw, how well are they at making that a completed play. YAC don't matter, so the WRs can't inflate the numbers. Number of plays don't matter because it's normalized, so a QB with more attempts doesn't get an advantage just because they have had more passing plays called.
But in grandpa's mind logic and math works a bit differently

I

I think any QB who throws more passes per game is likely to have more total yards passing per game than a QB with half as many passing attempts.

But that stat alone is not indicative of him being a better QB.

Hellinski: 1,576 total passing yards gained on 244 pass attempts = 6.46 yards gained per attempt

Morgan: 1,164 total passing yards gained on 124 pass attempts = 9.39 yards gained per pass attempt

Morgan has no control over how many pass attempts he gets, but he is pretty efficient when he is asked to throw.

I think any QB who throws more passes per game is likely to have more total yards passing per game than a QB with half as many passing attempts.

But that stat alone is not indicative of him being a better QB.

Hellinski: 1,576 total passing yards gained on 244 pass attempts = 6.46 yards gained per attempt

Morgan: 1,164 total passing yards gained on 124 pass attempts = 9.39 yards gained per pass attempt

Morgan has no control over how many pass attempts he gets, but he is pretty efficient when he is asked to throw.
Especially considering some of his “bad” throw throws bounce off guys hands

In conference games he is 8th.

One game isn't a trajectory and Mertz currently is #3 in the Big Ten in passing efficiency (Sports Reference) so he isn't so bad at all as a QB this year. I hate to keep correcting you but you just have a habit of writing foolish things. Try to up your game a little!
Mertz played like a junior high school girl last year against the Gophers. I don’t care what his ranking is he sucks.

Flip over to ESPN for a “what might’ve been moment”. Max Duggan has been through a lot some health issues, some losing a change and head coaches but he is in my opinion nearly the perfect college quarterback. From my recall we were number two for him TCU then Minnesota. Pair him with Mo, wow.

Top Bottom