Shama: Gophs continue to “entertain” the possibility of high profile game at Xcel

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

"Gophers basketball director of operations Joe Esposito said Minnesota’s upcoming nonconference schedule is the most difficult among Big Ten teams, according to RPI data. Esposito said the Gophers continue to “entertain” the possibility of playing a high profile opponent in a nonconference game at Xcel Energy Center."

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Part of me rather not even play the game. UNC not having to play Michigan state at home comes to mind. What fun is that?

I think it is a total cop out to take away your home court advantage. I want to see top teams come in and try and win at the Barn.

As long as this isn't a BT team, i'd consider it....

per Shama:

"Gophers basketball director of operations Joe Esposito said Minnesota’s upcoming nonconference schedule is the most difficult among Big Ten teams, according to RPI data."

Of course, it's actually not. As SelectionSunday's work detailed, the Gophers home non-conference schedule stacks up that way, but when you get to games away from home, it's a far different story. I've seen the same comment (most difficult non-conference schedule) show up in various articles and it's a silly claim that isn't supported by anything. Even if last year's weighted average RPI of Minnesota's current year non conference opponents was the highest in the Big Ten (which it is not), that does not mean that the 2011 schedule is the most difficult in the Big Ten. Last year's RPI data doesn't not predict the difficulty of this year's schedule - therefore, such a claim cannot be 'according to RPI data'. It's a neat line to throw out from a PR perspective, but it doesn't necessarily have any meaning.

We could get into the current year outlook for visiting teams in the non-conference, but let's not. I think the point is easily understood.

As for the overall non-conference schedule of Minnesota vs. others... take the example of Michigan State. Minnesota leaves the Barn to play three games in the Old Spice Classic, each of which they should be able to win. That tourney starts with a contest against DePaul who is coming off a seven-win season (one conference win)... Michigan State meanwhile begins their season with games away from home against North Carolina (in California) and Duke (four days later, but across the country in New York). In December, the Spartans also travel to Spokane to take on Gonzaga.

No offense to Appalachian State, Mount St. Mary's, the teams from the Dakotas and the rest of the bunch coming to Minneapolis this winter, but any suggestion that Minnesota has the toughest non-conference schedule in the Big Ten is nonsense by any measurement.

Crap, getting grumpy in my old age. Gotta catch a nap before this shuffleboard match.

Xcel seating capacity .. 16,500?

A big name opponent at Xcel at first thought sounds interesting. If that's the only way to get the big name opponent, I guess I'd be for it. However, I'd prefer a home and home at the Barn. The Q is .. would it be a sellout? Depends on who the opponent is.

A big name opponent at Xcel at first thought sounds interesting. If that's the only way to get the big name opponent, I guess I'd be for it.

I concur. ... and it would need to be part of the season-ticket package. I kinda' liked the games vs. West Virginia ('96) and Villanova ('97) at the Target Center. Doesn't need to be every year, but it'd be a nice change of pace every so often. It's not like the Gophers protect Williams Arena like they used to.

Interesting Idea to say the least but I hope they would draw someone bigger than Iowa St. if they decided to play a game at the Xcel or Target Center..

Agree - but wouldn't it be fun to see Iowa State play the Gophers .. this year? I'd buy a couple of tickets..

Xcel seating capacity.. 16,500?QUOTE]

I think for hockey alone, the capacity is close to 19,000. So for basketball, I think it would be closer to 20,000. May be worth it revenue wise, and would be kinda cool.

No way any game at Excel is part of the season ticket package, you can argue all you want but that's the way it will be. Season ticket holders will get first crack at tickets, though. After corporate sponsors, suite holders, and important St. Paul politicians of course.

And I'd hope a big game at Excel is someone bigger than Iowa St. - though ISU playing in the cities would probably be a good plan to sell tix to the venue - no way it sells out, even if UNC would show up. The Iowegians can get their Xmas shopping done at the same time.

EDIT: checked the Iowa St. schedule and that week is wide open. I'd guess it's finals week, though, and probably open for a reason.

Yes, a game like that would be part of the season ticket package. The Gophers would demand it to help them sell season ticket packages, and Xcel would want it to help fill the arena. There would be plenty of seats leftover for others, and they could do the seating anyway they want, giving the best seats to the mayor, if they want to.

My motivation of course would be to see THIS years Iowa State team vs the Gophers... Yes, lot's of details would have to be worked out with season ticket holders etc., but it would be a very interesting game to say the least. The Mayor would bring many Cyclone fans, and having the game before Christmas when both teams have available dates and the Wild out of town.... just sayin.

Sounds like some of you are thinking about *this* year. That can't happen for a number of reasons.

Esposito is just talking about in general... 'i.e., it's possible in some future season that we'd consider trying to play a game at the X'. That's all.

Top Bottom