Shama: Football ticket revenue: Ohio State $45.5MM, Minnesota: $12.5MM

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Big Ten schools, including Minnesota, receive equal shares of conference TV revenues. A new TV deal is expected to give the Gophers and the other 13 schools $45 to $50 million each on an annual basis.

However, there are big differences between schools in revenues such as ticket receipts. A Big Ten source told Sports Headliners Ohio State had $45.5 million in football ticket revenues last year, while the Gophers generated $12.5 million. Ohio State’s radio rights partner pays the Buckeyes $14 million, while the Gophers receive $7.5 million.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Imagine that, a perennial national contender from the B1G makes more money than a mid to bottom tier B1G team that hasn't sniffed a championship in 50 years.

Imagine that, a perennial national contender from the B1G makes more money than a mid to bottom tier B1G team that hasn't sniffed a championship in 50 years.

This is more so the direct result of not giving us season ticket holders t-shirts!

If we want to catch them we need to raise ticket prices and seat licenses. Maybe something like a 3-year ramp up. I am sure the fans will understand - even if the "fans" don't. Discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we want to catch them we need to raise ticket prices and seat licenses. Maybe something like a 3-year ramp up. I am sure the fans will understand - even if the "fans" don't. Discuss.

I thought quotation marks were for "donation"...

We need to expand the stadium to at least 100,000.

Seems like a stadium twice the size of ours that basically sells out every game regardless of opponent might have something to do with the revenue disparity. I hate when they do comparisons like that, our ticket revenue is never going to be on par with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State...no matter how good the program does because we have a significantly smaller stadium. When talking things like ticket revenue you need to compare teams with similar size stadiums.

Pardon my ignorance, but who/what is Shama and is their only function to try to publish something regarding the program in a negative light weekly? Secret assistant to Kahler?

Pardon my ignorance, but who/what is Shama and is their only function to try to publish something regarding the program in a negative light weekly? Secret assistant to Kahler?

He has written "David Shama's Sportsheadliners" for awhile now. Use to be pretty good and on balance, very positive too. The later seems to have changed when T.C. got the Head Coach position and the U and Kill couldn't agree on whether Kill would be the "face/fundraiser" of the University or be "semi- head football coach".

Shama has been pretty "pissy"about the U ever since. Just like Sid has.

"David Shama’s Minnesota Sports Headliners is devoted to covering the newsmakers that interest readers the most. The column delivers news you may not read elsewhere and provides insights about the lives of players, coaches, management and ownership that local sports fans follow with passion.

David Shama is a former sports editor and columnist with local publications. His writing and reporting experiences include covering the Minnesota Vikings, Minnesota Twins, Minnesota Timberwolves and Minnesota Gophers.

Shama’s career experiences also include sports marketing. He is the former Marketing Director of the Minnesota North Stars of the NHL. He is also the former Marketing Director of the United States Tennis Association’s Northern Section.

A native of Minneapolis, Shama has been part of the community his entire life. He is a graduate of the University of Minnesota where he majored in journalism. He also has a Master’s degree in education from the University of St. Thomas. He was a member of the Governor’s NBA’s Task Force to help create interest in bringing pro basketball to town in the 1980s."

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/biography/

Seems like a stadium twice the size of ours that basically sells out every game regardless of opponent might have something to do with the revenue disparity. I hate when they do comparisons like that, our ticket revenue is never going to be on par with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State...no matter how good the program does because we have a significantly smaller stadium. When talking things like ticket revenue you need to compare teams with similar size stadiums.

Agree. This is a meaningless revenue stat without context like what you point out. Also would like to know the yearlyexpenses of OSU FB compared to Gophs. They spend a lot more...Meyer alone earns $4.5M more per year that Claeys.

Agree. This is a meaningless revenue stat without context like what you point out. Also would like to know the yearlyexpenses of OSU FB compared to Gophs. They spend a lot more...Meyer alone earns $4.5M more per year that Claeys.

It's not meaningless. For instance they can afford an elite coach for $4.5 million more per year than our guy.

An extra 30 million a year in revenue is not meaningless.

It's not meaningless. For instance they can afford an elite coach for $4.5 million more per year than our guy.

I said without context...as pointed out, we will not have a 100,000 seat stadium that sells out every game. That gives it context.

It shows the BTN $ do not level the playing field.
TCF was meant to be small so the demand for tickets would always exceed the number of seats.
That was to keep ticket prices high and deny the ravaging hordes from NE, WI and IA from filling half the seats.
Demand rarely met the supply except when visiting fans wanted tickets then a k65 seat stadium would have meant more revenue.
Thanks, Joel.

Who?

TCF was meant to be small so the demand for tickets would always exceed the number of seats.
That was to keep ticket prices high and deny the ravaging hordes from NE, WI and IA from filling half the seats.
Demand rarely met the supply except when visiting fans wanted tickets then a k65 seat stadium would have meant more revenue.
Thanks, Joel.

You think they should have built a 30k stadium or something..... wat the wat wat?

I think that it should have had the same seating capacity as the Hump to capture more visiting fan ticket revenue.

Seriously - could they have raised enough $ to build a larger stadium? I am skeptical. You build what you can afford.

Seriously - could they have raised enough $ to build a larger stadium? I am skeptical. You build what you can afford.

I'm not sure they tested those waters. I think they picked the right size and got pretty much what they realistically wanted.

I think that it should have had the same seating capacity as the Hump to capture more visiting fan ticket revenue.

No thanks. Joel did this one right.

I might've gone a few thousand seats more than 50,000, but how does it help to have 65,000 seats when we would barely get past 55,000 for all but one game per year?

Thanks, Joel.

False as usual

Except the stadium size is a direct result of interest in the team......so it all works together.

Good decision to keep it around 50,000. That's been the basic attendance for Big Ten Gopher Football for 40 years. To hell with the Iowa and WI fans.They've been promising to get "15-25K" fans in TCF for years and have topped out at what? 7-8,000 if that.

They are not Nebraska fans who will play ANYTHING to get a ticket. Iowa and Badger fans? They're cheap, Upper Midwest SOB's (like Minnesotans) and won't pay much for a ticket so screw them.

If they can't ante-up and pay the bucks for a ticket, why should the U have spent the extra money for more seats and downgrade Season and Game tickets? To make it easier for them to buy a ticket? Holy hell no. The revenue the U gets now is proportionally fine

No tears will be shed for Sconnies or Iowegians who don't want to pay to bring their buddies to see a game at TCF.

Psst....Big Ten schools have other revenue streams.

Compare game day revenue between Big Ten schools....huge differences. Compare equipment deals between Big Ten schools....huge differences. Compare radio rights/sponsorships between Big Ten schools....huge differences.

The Big Ten schools get the same TV money.

I said without context...as pointed out, we will not have a 100,000 seat stadium that sells out every game. That gives it context.

You should have just posted the context part in huge bold letters because clearly some people cannot read.

Top Bottom