Shady to DB

mkAz

Reaction score
According to Kent Youngblood:

"While no final decision has been made, the Gophers have been taking a look at sophomore Shady Salamon at defensive back during practices. Salamon, who got two start at running back last season as a freshman, hasn't been in the running back mix this season but has excelled on special teams."

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/79900957.html?elr=KArks47cQiU47cQiU47cQULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU

I'm not surprised by this, he seems to have quite a few RB's ahead of him on the depth chart.

Does anybody know if he played defense in high school?

He seemed to be a waste at RB. You'd like to see your talent on the field not four deep.

I like this move -- the way I saw him running around on special teams told me he might be able to contribute at safety...he was never going to see the light of day playing RB.

He only plated RB for the most part in HS, a little DB.

Very nice to see they found a place where he may have a chance to contribute more.

Shady actually played quite a lot of DB (mainly CB) at CDH. Both he and Michael Floyd played both ways in the 2007 Prep Bowl.

Definitely like this move. Shady is a solid athlete just doesn't quite have the measurables to make it as a Big Ten RB. It'll be exciting to see if he can find a niche for himself on defense. I think it would be smart to move Stoudermire back to CB in the offseason as well.

Stoudermire was our #2 WR. I'm not sure that would be a great idea for a struggling offense to put him back on D for a one year stop gap.

I actually think Shady will be moved to safety rather than CB. He is a tough kid (good blocker and hits and tackles well on special teams). I also don't know if he is quite as fast and has quite enough agility to play CB. I do think he could make a good safety though.

Kim Royston 5'11" 193
Kyle Theret 5'10" 193

Shady Salamon 5'11" 203

I believe we have ourselves a back up SS.

What do you think are the chances that Shady RS this year to give him a season to aclimate himself with the position switch? I am not really sure because we have quite a few young DBs (who they might want to RS), and he is a pretty important part of our coverage units. I just think it could be the difference between Shady projecting as a potential backup to him projecting as an eventual starter.

Our DB depth next year should be something like:
(assuming Rallis moves to LB)
Safeties:
Theret
Royston
Thornton
Watkins
possibly Dandrige

CBs:
Carter
Collado
C. Lewis
Johnson
Bouie (I think he is the Dec. grad)

I would be surprised if they gave Salamon a RS. They need a stop gap to depth, and he's a big contributor on ST's. It doesn't add up. This is just a situation that what might be best for the kid isn't best for the team. But the flip side is he has a bigger opportunity next year to establish himself a fixture in the depth chart, maybe to make a run at the starting spot as a senior, then he might have if he skips a year.

I like Shady at SS. He's a football player. Find a way to get him on the field. RB is not going to happen for him.

If Stoudermire is our #2 WR that should tell you all you need to know about our O. He's got great skill with the ball in his hands, but he's not a smooth receiver and does not catch the ball well. He would be a great CB/KR.

Great kid and a good player. Hope this is a way they can get him on the field more.

No way Shady red-shirts. Let's be honest. Shady is the kind of football player that every program needs: good athlete, smart kid, good character. But keeping him around for an extra year as a red-shirt does nothing to the long-term benefit of the program. Better to have him contribute as much as he can for 4 years and then bring in someone new for the schollie.

Top Bottom