Set plays for Hoffarber?

GibsonSG

Reaction score
Is it my imagination or did the team not even try to get Hoffarber any open looks from 3 tonight? Don't the gophers have any set plays to free him up for some shots? I think at least 3 of his 4 shots came in transition or after an offensive rebound.

I know Purdue was keying on him defensively, but it just seemed like no one was trying to set picks for him. Am I wrong? Or was Purdue just that good at picking him up after screens? What was the problem?

(Actually, I think the same could be said for Westbrook and Joseph as well.)

Gopher games can be so mentally exhausting... :D

I know Purdue was keying on him defensively, but it just seemed like no one was trying to set picks for him.
You could tell that they put Kramer on him from the jump ball and told him that Hoffarber shouldn't touch the ball. They were in his jersey the entire game. Keep in mind Kramer was the Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year; he's no slouch when he goes and makes a concerted effort to stick on someone.

However, you are right. I think there was 1, maybe 2 set plays where he came off screens, but they jumped the screen, he faded the screen, and didn't get the ball.

Hoffarber is not great at creating his own shot, so you'd think an offense would set a handful of plays/screens specifically for him when he's the top three point shooter in the Big 10 by a wide margin, shooting over 50% from 3.

Set plays? Do we have those?

Blake

Kramer was actually on Westbrook most of the time.

Kramer was actually on Westbrook most of the time.
Watch the tape. He started out on him from the jump ball moving forward. If he was on Westbrook, it was probably as a result of a switch. Any time coming out of dead balls, Kramer was on Hoffarber if both of them were in the game.

I would love to see Hoffarber make a shot fake, take a dribble to the side and then hit a 3. Hell, just hit a 3 off the dribble...

a guy can dream, right...

but in all seriousness, did anyone witness him do this in High School?? Is he simply not quick enough to get his shot up against big ten defenders? It seems like his actual release is somewhat quick, but he refuses to, or cannot shoot unless he is virtually unguarded.

It seems like his actual release is somewhat quick, but he refuses to, or cannot shoot unless he is virtually unguarded.
Have you watched any of the previous 7 games? He had a good number of open looks, but at least 30-40% of his shots were with a hand in his face, or at least guarded.

Blake

When it comes to the 3 he is catch and shoot... He has made alot of 3's with a guy in his face.. His release has gotten alot quicker since his frosh year... It looks like the extension of the 3 pt line has not hurt him...

Have you watched any of the previous 7 games? He had a good number of open looks, but at least 30-40% of his shots were with a hand in his face, or at least guarded.

Yep, watched or attended all of them.

All I am saying is that I would like to see him shoot off the dribble, instead of only being a catch and shoot guy. If he could add the ability to dribble into his jumpshot it would make him a lot more difficult to guard, even for guys like Kramer.

All I am saying is that I would like to see him shoot off the dribble
Agreed. I'd like to see him develop more of a shot off the dribble as well.

One thing to note though, is that our offense does not look like a good dribble then pull-up type offense. Hoffarber's shots usually come within the flow of the offense, and as such, the majority of the shots he shoots are "good" shots where he's in balance, we have rebounders underneath, etc. Westbrook and Joseph have the ability to shoot off the dribble, but some of their shots that they take off the dribble look like bad shots because they're taken outside the flow/context of our offense. People probably aren't cursing at Hoff for shooting a poor, off-balance, fading shot outside the flow of our offense, but most likely hoping he'd take a dribble, pull up, etc. (aka do more).

It's a tough thing to balance with Tubby and his system; you do too much or outside the flow of our system, it looks really bad, you get the Tubby stare, and you ride the bench. You don't do it enough, people say you "disappear" because you're trying to work your game within the flow of the offense and stay on the floor.

Is it my imagination or did the team not even try to get Hoffarber any open looks from 3 tonight? Don't the gophers have any set plays to free him up for some shots? I think at least 3 of his 4 shots came in transition or after an offensive rebound.

I know Purdue was keying on him defensively, but it just seemed like no one was trying to set picks for him. Am I wrong? Or was Purdue just that good at picking him up after screens? What was the problem?

(Actually, I think the same could be said for Westbrook and Joseph as well.)

Gopher games can be so mentally exhausting... :D

If you watched close enough, you could also see Hoff going around setting pick after pick for his teammates; meanwhile I didn't see any picks set in reverse (for Hoff from his teammates) - I'm sure there were some that I missed, but they were obviously not coming often. The one guy they really need to get open to get the 3's flying, and no one makes the effort? Strange. The fact that Hoff was going around setting pick after pick just shows you how basketball savvy he really is - he knows the game and how to win.

Wow...one bad game and yall are getting at the kid like he blew the game himself...He's done great so far this year, far better than anyone has expected so just let it play out folks...

Wow...one bad game and yall are getting at the kid like he blew the game himself...He's done great so far this year, far better than anyone has expected so just let it play out folks...

I never said that he had a bad game, and he clearly did not blow the game. I thought Hoff did fine last night. I was making a general observation that easily could have been made after any game this year.

Against the more athletic teams Hoffarber is going to struggle to get shots no matter what set plays are run. If Westbrook had been on it would have freed him up for more shots I would imagine. Hoffarber would benefit from Mbwake or Whites return more than anybody. Without an inside presence stopping him is a no brainer.

setting picks

Right now Iverson is the only player with any bulk to set a pick. That is one area the missing players could help out with. We have so many skinny wings. Maybe Bostick and westbrook can learn this new skill.

You could tell that they put Kramer on him from the jump ball and told him that Hoffarber shouldn't touch the ball. They were in his jersey the entire game. Keep in mind Kramer was the Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year; he's no slouch when he goes and makes a concerted effort to stick on someone.

However, you are right. I think there was 1, maybe 2 set plays where he came off screens, but they jumped the screen, he faded the screen, and didn't get the ball.

Hoffarber is not great at creating his own shot, so you'd think an offense would set a handful of plays/screens specifically for him when he's the top three point shooter in the Big 10 by a wide margin, shooting over 50% from 3.
I have to respectfully disagree, Moore was guarding Hoff. Kramer was on Westbrook. Moore did a very good job.

Set plays? Do we have those?

We have a nice weave about 30 feet from the basket and with about six seconds left Westbrook goes one on four. Works every time.

He doesn't shoot if he has to shoot over someone. I was watching him play and it looked like he was smothered all night. Purdue plays great half sourt defense, especially if you are a team that doesn't have the size and strength to over come their intensity in the half court.

left over

We have a nice weave about 30 feet from the basket and with about six seconds left Westbrook goes one on four. Works every time.

That set play is left over from the previous coach. It is called the "Monson Weave". When the lads get tired or confused they fallback into the "Monson Weave".

BTW IMHO, Westy is our best one on four player.

:)

Top Bottom