Seriously

caliGopher

Reaction score
Maturi is still trying to finalize next years schedule. Dude, it's your job. The Iowa State Backed out on us excuse doesn't exist anymore. GET IT DONE. TAKE A PAGE FROM YOUR WUNDERKIND BREWSTER -- STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND GET IT DONE. And if you can't, let's get someone in here who can.

Are you being serious?
Just briefly looking both Michigan and Iowa still need to finish completing their 2010 schedule.

capslock.png

Well, we have USC and USD on the schedule for 2010. This means we need to have USA and USB added to the schedule.

Well, we have USC and USD on the schedule for 2010. This means we need to have USA and USB added to the schedule.

USB would have to be a road game since they could never travel to TCF due to being competitors.

USA would have to be the University of South Alabama in the Sun Belt, which just started up football from scratch. They might be the tiniest bit unready by 2010. Their 2009 schedule is a bunch of Junior Colleges.

For USB, our options are even more limited. There is Umeå School of Business in Sweden, which has no football team, of course.

There is Stony Brook University, but while they are D-I, they aren't really USB, they are SBU, although they are sometimes called the University at Stony Brook. We already have a I-AA on the schedule that year.

There is Indiana University South Bend, which is IUSB, not USB. In any case, they are NAIA and don't have football anyway.

caliGopher, you had to start a post just to, once again, show your disdain for Maturi? SAD.

Its not as simple as it looks, by a long-shot! nm

nm

Big Deal

I don't care how long he takes to complete schedules. As long as he keeps getting USC, Cal, Oregon St. and so on types of programs, I could care less. Big time players want big time games period

Just no more MAC schools for awhile, I want something new. Maybe a school from out west like a Wyoming.

I don't care how long he takes to complete schedules. As long as he keeps getting USC, Cal, Oregon St. and so on types of programs, I could care less. Big time players want big time games period

The non-conference schedules beyond 2010 look pretty good for us. 2011 doesn't have anything exciting at home yet with NDSU and Miami University, but with open up with USC in the Coliseum. 2012 we start with UNLV on the road before playing Colorado and then Syracuse at home, probably most exciting year at this point with the prospect of back to back home games against BCS conference opponents. We get Oregon State in a home and home for 2014 and 2015, and 2013 is already full with playing at Colorado and UNLV, Western Illinois, and San Jose State at home.

I'm pretty sure caliGopher has never said anything positive in his entire life, so this is just par for the course.

2010 Schedule

I think we should schedule University of South Carolina and University of San Diego.

We are in a ticklish position

Coach Brewster likes a tough schedule, the callers bashed the program because we didn't play anyone, and now we are on the cusp of being pretty good. Who wants to play us? Oh sure USC, they think big deal a home and home. Same for Cal. Now do you want another Top Flight school? Say a Texas, an Oklahoma, any Southeast Conference School? Those schedules are etched about 8 years in advance. So, maybe one falls to us? Or do you look at comparable non conference schools. Nebraska would be a great rivalry to get going again. Missouri, Colorado, are all fairly close. Take a page from ND, schedule all the Academies. Do we still have that deal with The MAC? How about shaming a Mountain West team to come out and play? The other option is to sprinkle in a travel destination. See Wisconsin traveling to Haiwaii after the season, or kick off the snowbird season with a game in Tempe. Or go back to scheduling teams like Troy, Louisiana Monroe, et al. He will get it done, will everyone love the teams on the schedule? NO.

This means we need to have USA

I think that's where Prince Akeem Jaffi Joffa of Zumanda went to school when he was busy looking for his queen bride to be. Problem is, they're so small, they don't even have a basketball team.

I'm guessing they don't have a football program as well, but it's worth a phone call.

But, perhaps we could set up a home & home in chase the monkey? :)

I wish we would have taken up Michigan's offer to play them the day they open up there new stadium expansion. That would have been sweet and I don't really care that we don't get a return game because it's a conference opponent anyway.

I think that's where Prince Akeem Jaffi Joffa of Zumanda went to school when he was busy looking for his queen bride to be. Problem is, they're so small, they don't even have a basketball team.

I'm guessing they don't have a football program as well, but it's worth a phone call.

But, perhaps we could set up a home & home in chase the monkey? :)

Yes! Yes! In the face!

Not even close to true.

I have been critical of Maturi since he failed to fire Mason when he should have (although that didn't bother me as much because I understood there are reasons for how that happened) and then, knowing he should have maybe two seasons before he did had absolutely no clue how to go about it, no idea of who he'd like to talk to when he did it. How does that happen from somebody who can do his job? Given the fiasco a few years ago where we had to bring in SW Texas State because we didn't have the MAC game he thought he'd secured is still on my mind I guess when we don't have games for next season locked down.

Maturi is a really nice guy. I like him from the few times I've met him. But he can't do the job which he's demonstrated repeatedly. The schedule is getting better and we're lining up quality NC opponents which is great. But we're a season away and still don't have two games scheduled, again.

If it is SAD that I posted that he is incompetent on some of the bigger, more visible elements of his job, so be it. I just want and expect more out of this position as it will increase the standing/stature and arc of the program towards sustained success. Let's keep him as an assistant AD if he'd take it. He'd be great in that role.

If it is SAD that I posted that he is incompetent on some of the bigger, more visible elements of his job, so be it. I just want and expect more out of this position as it will increase the standing/stature and arc of the program towards sustained success. Let's keep him as an assistant AD if he'd take it. He'd be great in that role.

Idiotic.

They just raised nearly 90 million dollars in the past two years for a football stadium (I guess that's not "visible" enough for you).

When Brewster was hired, the coordinators were among the highest paid in the Big Ten.

The budget is balanced with miniscule revenue from football (Ohio State can't even balance their budget). That budget has doubled since he's been here.

14th best athletic department in the country.

Tubby Smith as the basketball coach (nope, no visibility there).

Few off the field incidents by the athletes.

Unprecedented success across the board the last six years (averaging over four big 10 titles per year).

New baseball/BB practice facility on the horizon.

Was featured in May in the Sports Business Journal for athletic director of the year...featured with the ADs from Cal, Oklahoma and Florida (nope, no visibility there).

Who cares if those two spots aren't filled by August 1, 2009?

I think one thing that is underappreciated about Maturi is his dedication to the non-major sports, to some this doesn't matter at all, but if you are an alumni/fan you should be proud of all UofMN sports. I know some track guys and they talk about how Maturi is at almost every event big or small, and really works across the board for all sports. Again, this is a football board,I suppose we would love it if he just ignored volleyball, CC, track, etc and focused purely on Football, Basketball, Hockey, and Baseball but its hard to rip the guy for trying to have success as an athletic department as a whole

I've got no complaints about the 2010 schedule, even with two open dates. We have Southern Cal at home. We already have one I-AA team on the schedule, so we know the two dates won't be filled with a I-AA opponent. I would be surprised if the remaining two dates are filled with really big name opponents, but then again, we do have USC at home.

Ole

Ole - Great Post!!
Couldn't have said it better myself. Maturi is the AD for the entire program. Let's also remember that Maturi has Assistants that do most (if not all) of the scheduling. If they're not doing the job, Maturi may have to replace them.
To rip on an AD for not having a schedule for a year from now is poor. It's strictly an opening for someone who wants to rip someone.
Cali - what is your daytime job? Obviously you're really secure with it.

Hawaii,
and @ Virginia or @ Utah

still appear to be available if the USD date can be changed.

Top Bottom